cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving and keeping phone number from another province

Sherry1313
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you ALL for answering my question on my recent post. Based on the very helpful information you all provided, I need to clarify some points so that I can get some more advice to make a decision:

1- Currently, I have a Canada wide plan with PM. 

2- When I moved to New Brunswick and changed my region to NB, I wrongly thought that people of NB who don't have Canada wide plans, won't be charged when they call me. 

3- I want to keep my previous Ontario Phone No: 289-700-**** if possible

4- People who don't have Canada wide plan, either on their CELLPHONEs or on HOME-PHONEs are charged when they call me. I want to solve this problem.

5- New Brunswick area code is 506 and the number of the local area I live is 756. So In order to cover people calling me both through cellphones and home phones, I think I need to change my number to 506-756-**** either virtually through the app/s you mentioned and forwarding that number to my ON number, or changing my ON number, or getting a new PM sim card with a number starting with 506-756. 

6- If I want to change my number or get a new PM sim card, can I get a number starting with 506-756? I know Bell has access to 576 but I like to stay with PM.

Thank you very much!

11 REPLIES 11

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Sherry1313 See if Fongo or TextNow have phone numbers local to the area you want. You then give out that number to local residents, and forward it to your current PM number.

If you port out your PM number as suggested by some, that would close your current PM account and you will have to open a new account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_rcdist.php?npa1=506&nxx1=980&npa2=506&nxx2=213

@Sherry1313 

It really depends where your frequent callers are calling from....the (506) area code encompasses the entire province so you don't get local calling within the entire area code but within approximately 100 km of your exchange. By choosing one of telus exchanges (as listed above) will enable you or your callers to call locally within that approximate zone.

To find out if your callers would be local type their exchange into the NXX box using any of the telus exchanges for Moncton ie (980) in the other NXX box and entering (506) area code in both NPA boxes and submit. Y is yes it's local calling and N is no its long distance.

For example Miramichi and Saint John are long distance and Sackville and Petitecodiac are local. This is based on landlines most cell phone users likely (at the very least) have province wide calling.

You are welcome @Sherry1313 

Here's a link to the available to CNAC website http://www.cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA506.htm

You can see the available numbers.Stay safe. 

- sort it by rate centre.

Sherry1313
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks!

what about just changing my area code number into 506? Then my number will be considered as NB number and calling me through cellphone will be free for people of NB? 

@kselmak 

There are no telus exchanges in the immediate petitecodiac area. However it is only 43 km from Moncton. The link i supplied gives the ability to search other exchanges to see if they are included in the local calling area however from the very long list already supplied im sure any of the moncton telus exchanges will more than cover any phone numbers the OP thinks will call her as the local calling area is exspansive.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

This is the exchange you are in

Petitcodiac: (506) - 331 534 708 750 751 756

Now you should talk to locals and see what else in the area is local to them a check if public mobile offers anything in that area.

Long long time ago 711 used to assign you the number based on the number you are calling from, I have feeling that is gone now.

You could walk into a Telus/koodo store and see if they could help. 

If nothing works you can open local service and port over

* https://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=108870 

@Sherry1313 

The following Moncton telus exchanges under the (506) area code include local calling to petitecodiac you could also search* for the exchanges covered under the new (428) area code if you are unable to acquire a telus number under (506) 227, 229, 232, 233, 588, 777, 889, 973 and 980.  

* you can check this link for local calling areas in new brunswick.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Sherry1313 

One option to keep your Ontario number is to port it to fongo and have it forever never have to pay a cent for it.

You can use it with their app and have it forwarded to your call or home phone. You can receive sms on the app

They email you voicemail (if you set it to shorter than your cell or home phone are set to ring. You can use it abroad in WiFi or data too.

You cannot make yourself local to everybody and everybody's phone plan.

If you are in NB and got nb prone with unlimited province will be able to reach you for free.

Check your numbers first 3 digits after area code, that will give you the location of the number and the area it is local to (it's called exchange)

If your number is from someplace else, just change it to one within your area, you can check the exchanges in wikipedia entry for the area code

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sherry1313 

2. Calling has always been area code/prefix. Area codes have always been tied to a province. Prefixes have always been tied to an area in that province.
3. You could.
4. You can't if you keep your ON #. Other than workarounds with forwarding and whatnot.
5. Check in the Change number function in the self-serve for the province and area that you want and see what area code/prefixes come up. You might stumble across the odd appearance of what you want...or not. It depends on whether Public Mobile has those numbers in its system. Blocks of numbers are "owned" by providers. You could sign-up with one of them and then port/transfer it over if you really want a number that isn't in this system.
6. See first sentence in 5. If 576 belongs to Bell then PM won't be able to offer it.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could port your phone over.

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Sherry1313 I don't see any Telus 756 numbers for Petitcodiac,  you may have to sign up with Aliant on a prepaid plan, get the number and port it over. Have a great move.  Stay safe.  

Need Help? Let's chat.