cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping my moms home phone number

Jomp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi folks,

My mom is elderly and she wants to cancel out bell home # since it cost $70 for a home phone these days, so I was wondering if i cancelled the home phone  would I be able to get my mom on a public mobile plan and get to keep her original home phone number since she has had it for over 50 years ??? it's a 450 area code number from Quebec Montreal .

Thanks for your help in advance.

36 REPLIES 36

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Dont cancel your Bell phone. 

Set up an account with PM and port over during activation OR better yet take a PM number. See if all is working ok. Then request the PORT.  After porting is done that should close the Bell account....but knowing them.....I would call and confirm. It may take longer to port a land line. And usually the port FROM number will text you to confirm the porting out...but not sure how that would work on a land line. 

I did port my Telus land line to a much cheaper voip line and there was no confirmation required...but that was 4 years ago. I later called Telus and they said the account was closed. 

Perhaps some one else can tell you more about porting a land line. 

Voip only costs me $13 a month. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jomp 

Yes, this should work with her landline (to mobile).  As @computergeek541 mentioned, this may a week instead of a few hours.  🙂

Jomp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ok so this will work with her land line right?

@Jomp wrote:

My mom is elderly and she wants to cancel out bell home # since it cost $70 for a home phone these days, so I was wondering if i cancelled the home phone  would I be able to get my mom on a public mobile plan and get to keep her original home phone number since she has had it for over 50 years ??? it's a 450 area code number from Quebec Montreal .

Please do not contact Bell to cancel. The line must still be active to transfer the number to Public Mobile.  When the number porting is complete, the Bell service will cancel itself. Yes, you can transfer in number from Montreal. A landline transfer might take about a week.  Also, Bell sometimes contacts the departing customer and doesn't always release the number until you take this sales call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you don't have to cancel out bell home , if you cancel it you will losing your phone number,

you have to buy it a New SIM card and then Activate public mobile and do Transfer old number.

if you want to buy it a brand new SIM card .

i suggest you get a NEW SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store and buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click HERE 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit HERE , 

Good Luck and your welcome to public mobile 

with a Beautiful Service 

you will be very happy

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jomp 

The quick answer = KINDA... what you're asking is possible but you need to keep her Bell account ACTIVE!

All you need to do is create a Public Mobile account, then initiate a Transfer (Port) her telephone number over to Public Mobile.  This must be done while the original Bell account is still ACTIVE.

After the porting/transfer number process is complete, the original (Bell) account will automatically close/cancel.  So basically...

1. Keep Bell account open/active
  2. Open a Public Mobile account
  3. Initiate a Porting/Transfer request

Note: If you cancel/close the Bell account before you port/transfer the number, the request will fail because the account and phone number will already be "gone."  (This is why you need to keep it active.)

Also, porting requests for landline telephone numbers take a longer period of time.  Instead of a few hours, this will take a few days.  It's doable, but just know that it takes a bit longer than mobile-to-mobile requests.  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.