cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is 4G required in Vegas?

brucemacgibbon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi traveling to Las Vegas in a week. 

I want to buy the US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) and the US talk and text roaming package. 

Will that work well in Vegas, there are some messages saying after Feb 2022 a 3G network wont work. 

Will I automatically be directed to 4G if I but these 2 add on packages? 

Thanks for your help! 

11 REPLIES 11

thanks @Camera4617 for the infos.  Give us your reviews after you tried in Europe

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow I don't have any insights on how many people use it nor which carrier it will use. At the end, it will cost you very little to try it (or nothing if you 'win' or make some money using app) and if it is not great, then don't use it. I've had no issues in Canada here (Calgary to be more specific) and will try it this year overseas (Europe) how it works. So, you can spend few bucks and see how it works. Why I like it more then others, is that they have market place where other users who don't need data sell it for cheaper price, it is one sim for 61 (major) country and you can share data with others (they call it team but that could be anyone). So, I'd say it is worth to try but I cannot guarantee for anyone but myself... 🙂

HI @Camera4617   thanks for the info.

is Dent reliable?  used by many people

I am new to this App E-SIM thing, so,  for example in Canada, which carrier it will use? 

Camera4617

@hTideGnow  Yes, as previous post said, eSim you add by QR code or by app itself (Dent does it for you). Then in phone settings (as you can have multiple lines) you just set one for what is your primary line and what is secondary. I have PM for voice and Dent for data and that works perfectly fine. I'm using Dent here in Canada when I ran out of data and it works great. If you buy from Dent directly, your data is valid for 1 year and it works in 61 country. 1GB is $10 USD but they also have 'market place' in app that you can buy for 3-4$ USD per GB with shorter time. As it is market place, that changes but it is always around that price and it all depends how much you need data or need timeframe.. If you install app, they also have way to get Dent Coins (thats what they use for data) by just watching adds or now they have even spin a wheel (daily) that you could win some data or points. I've won couple times 1GB (for free) so, it is legit.. Other data providers usually have much shorter timeframe and dont' have marketplace. 

EDIT: forgot to add, you'll need to install their app (which is free) and create account that is tied to your phone. Then you can see pricing, which countries it works (almost all major countries in the world), earn coins etc.. Plus, if you have enough data they have 'teams' option that you could share it with your family (I do with my kids) which not other provider gives you that ability. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

hTideGnow: The esim is installed by way of a qr code or manually entering details on an esim capable device.

That's a way too slick website for my tastes and yeah no price. ??

HI@Camera4617   how the eSIM work?  how much is the Dent mobile?  I checked their page, no price. 

brucemacgibbon

Thanks daki28, I just looked up Dent. I didn't know about Dent. Very Helpful!  

Camera4617

If you have eSim supported phone, I'd always go with some Data Only Providers.. Dent is pretty good, Airalo and many others.. 

@brucemacgibbon 

I always suggest local data add-on, more data and cheaper

for voice, use VoIP app like TextNow, it gives you are free 10 digits and you can make and receive calls on your App, others call you like any regular number

If you need to receive 2FA codes , you can't on TextNow and you won't be receiving it on your PM number if you are in US without Roaming. So, be prepared and change it to Authenticator app instead 

brucemacgibbon

thanks for the information Softech, do you have a better solution, should I buy a prepaid SIM card? I'm more worried about data working well (for UBER and other services) and will pay for good service? what would you do? thanks!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@brucemacgibbon   for data and text, it will work on both 4G and 3G

for voice, it has to have 3G. 

AT&T has started turning off 3G but it is not a hard shutdown, so, some areas still have it. 

T-Mobile  will start shutting down in May 31

So, there is a chance Vegas still has 3G for voice.  But it is really YMMV

Need Help? Let's chat.