cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone not able to make or receive calls when traveling in the USA (we are from Canada)

RickCanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

We live in Canada and have a plan that gives us coverage in both Canada and North America.  In the States, my iphone won't make or receive calls.  I've tried rebotting it, resetting the network, turning the airplane mode off and on.  I've checked that my Do Not Disturb is not one.  My subscription in current and I'm able to send and receive texts and use data in the States.  I'm needing to get this fixed and would appreciate any help.

7 REPLIES 7

@TOMHENDERSON  What happens when it goes back to AT&T if you have it set to LTE (not 5G because there are reported problems with 5G on AT&T - could that be why you didn't have a problem last year, because PM didn't have 5G back then?).

TOMHENDERSON

Thanks.  My phone is VoLTE enabled.  It worked great last year.  It works now that its manually switched to T- mobile.  However the signal is weak here and my phone is frequently asking me to search for a mobile network.  If I say yes it goes Back to AT&T.  If I say no it keeps asking and beeping, even through  the night.   Had to turn to speaker off.  I have an open ticket.  Will see what PM support suggests.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@RickCanada  What iPhone do you have?  Anything iPhone 8 and newer should be enabled for VoLTE on Public Mobile so perhaps the problem is that your phone is trying to connect to AT&T on 5G?  That's why @Handy1 suggested setting to LTE and not 5G.  Which of PM's two roaming partners are you connecting to, AT&T or T-Mobile?  

@TOMHENDERSON   You likely didn't have the problem before because the USA still had a 3G network for phones to fall back on if they were not VoLTE enabled.  The 3G networks were shut down in 2022.  You did the snowbird thing and didn't have a problem last winter?

@Handy1 wrote:

@RickCanada  Set phone to 4G /LTE   Not 5G and connect  to T mobile or AT&T . And ensure you have data roaming turned in in phone settings . If still issue with voice try phone on 2G and  connect to T mobile only 

Data roaming settings are unrelated to the inability to make or receive phone calls.

TOMHENDERSON

I had the same problem on my Samsung.  Mobile roaming network was AT&T Manually selected T mobile.  And it started working.  But it keeps switching back to AT&T when signal become weak.  Haven't resolved that yet, other than not saying yes to search for network s.  Never had this issue other snow bird years!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@RickCanada  Set phone to 4G /LTE   Not 5G and connect  to T mobile or AT&T . And ensure you have data roaming turned in in phone settings . If still issue with voice try phone on 2G and  connect to T mobile only 

Need Help? Let's chat.