cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone: cellular data on or off?

MelonFanta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello!

i just recently switched over to public and this is my very first time having data on my plan.  i was wondering if i should turn, "cellular data", off, or keep it on?  i've never had data on my plan before, so i never had to worry about being charged for going over any sort of data limit.  with this new plan, i basically only want to use my data for emergencies, and seeing that i'm on wifi a vast majority of the time, i'm not sure if i should keep it on or not.  it's always been on as far as i can remember, i just don't want to start using the data on my plan for stuff that wifi should be doing.

thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MelonFanta  - I too, am mostly in wifi areas. But you never know when wifi signals will be weak or you forgot doing something out of a wifi zone, which will suck up data big time.

I am of the mind to leave data off at all times, unless I need it for some reason.

I understand iphones users like to use iMessage.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

Since you are not a user that has never had data previously, why chance burning it, unless you need it? JMHO

Ge Help article on Managing Your Data Usage for reference:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

edit

MelonFanta

thank you so much, that's perfect!  pretty much everything i needed/wanted to know c:  thank you!

I'm the same as you...not a heavy data user.

In the settings on my iPhone...I disable data to any apps that I don't use regularly. For example...I get coffee at McD's a lot, so I leave the McD's app enabled. (I get points whenever I get my coffee there !!)

I leave data enable in Mail, Maps, the Score, BC Lotto and WhatsApp...everything else is disabled. I usually (but not always) have a little bit of data left over after 30 days.

If I do run outta regular plan data, my data add-on will take over until plan renewal.

Find a system that works best for you. With PM you don't need to worry about getting billed for data overages later on. If you use up your regular plan data...then data just stops until renewal or you have the data add-on.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you have limited data I would keep it OFF as some apps might take advantage of it and use it all up.

You will NOT be charged after using all of your data. Internet will just stop until next renewal when you will get new batch of data based on your plan.

Keep data to connect to Internet when out of reach of WiFi.

MelonFanta

ah ok, thanks!  i'll monitor it for the next few days to make sure everything's ok lol 

@MelonFanta wrote:

i turned off the wifi assist and am just concerned with using up all my data with "cellular data" being on.  thanks for the additional information!

As long as you are not watching videos or sending/receiving emails with large attachments, mobile data usage is very small for all other applications.  One way for you see what your usage profile is like is to leave mobile data on for a while.  You will be pleasantly surprised how little you use.

MelonFanta

right, so as long as i'm connected to wifi, i should have nothing to worry about?  and if i'm not connected, as long as wifi assist is turned off, i shouldn't have to worry about my data usage?

also, i'm assuming access to my data is always on, so how will i know if i start using it or not?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@MelonFanta wrote:

if i'm on wifi most of the time, will i have to worry about my data being used up when i don't have it?

There can be apps installed on your phone that use data in the background.  So, yes, it's possible to use data unknowingly.

App background data is via WiFi when there is a WiFi connection, provided WiFi assist is turned off.  

MelonFanta

i turned off the wifi assist and am just concerned with using up all my data with "cellular data" being on.  thanks for the additional information!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would suggest that you keep mobile data on.  If you leave a WiFi zone and forget to turn on mobile data, you will not get emails and other instant messages.  Note also that in order to send and receive MMS, you must have mobile data on even when connected to WiFi. MMS uses unmetered mobile data that is not counted toward usage.  One thing you should do to prevent mobile data leakage is to turn WiFi assist off.  See link for details on how WiFi assist works.  Note that with WiFi assist off, all app background data should be going through WiFi.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296#:~:text=Turn%20Wi%2DFi%20Assist%20on%20or%20off&text=Go%20t....

@MelonFanta wrote:

if i'm on wifi most of the time, will i have to worry about my data being used up when i don't have it?

There can be apps installed on your phone that use data in the background.  So, yes, it's possible to use data unknowingly.

MelonFanta

@MelonFanta wrote:

hello!

i just recently switched over to public and this is my very first time having data on my plan.  i was wondering if i should turn, "cellular data", off, or keep it on?  i've never had data on my plan before, so i never had to worry about being charged for going over any sort of data limit.  with this new plan, i basically only want to use my data for emergencies, and seeing that i'm on wifi a vast majority of the time, i'm not sure if i should keep it on or not.  it's always been on as far as i can remember, i just don't want to start using the data on my plan for stuff that wifi should be doing.

There's no risk in leaving data enabled on your device other than it could get used up. There's are no pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile. You can certainly choose to disable it if you wish.

Need Help? Let's chat.