cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming text not being received

Cribs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New Public Mobile customer. I am unable to receive text messages from some of my contacts. I can receive text from my daughter (Iphone user) but not able to receive text from a couple of friends(they both use Apple Iphone). Why then do some texts come in and some others do not? They are not blocked numbers in case someone asks. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Thanks..

28 REPLIES 28

@Cribs  the error you got about "not recongnize the number" because there is still a pending porting request for that number, so, it confirmed the porting was not completed.  You called the porting support team yet?  There is a number to call to talk to live support,  they can re-trigger the process for you.  I will message the number to you via the Community inbox ( https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage ) .  Check the envelope icon on top right.  Call them and get it fixed

Cribs

I have notified a PM agent and requested that they port the cell number that has been assigned to me & transfer to my original Rogers number that I started with since becoming a PM subscriber. Have received no response from PM. I tried once again to port my current assigned number and got the message that it does not recognize the number to attempt port protocol. Does this mean that I need to wait longer perhaps? Or does it mean that my number (PM assigned) is not registered? Hopefully you will reply with a probable answer(s) as you seem to be well versed with the challenges that PM poses to new customer queries. Thanks in advance.

HI @Cribs 

the call centre is a Telus/Koodo one but they help out PM porting issue, too.  Some members already mentioned they have to call the call centre couple times because some new agents not even aware they need to help PM's porting problem

But if you don't want to go thought that call centre, open ticket.   It is a bit slower, but it will get the issue resolved too.  After you message them, remember to check Community inbox for replies.  They usually reply within 2 hours or a bit more

Cribs

The phone number provided was for Telus support and on two separate attempts to call from my land line resulted in two long waiting periods & ultimately 2 phone hangups or at  least the line went dead. A nightmare I tell you.

hi @Cribs you said you only joined on Feb 6?  you sure you have a new number ?  port request always will be there for a full month.  In that month, if porting not completed, you can make outbound calls using your own number, but when people call your number, your old carrier sim will picks up the call

i think it is best to call the number we sent you and get it sorted.  At the same time, also open ticket with PM support as a backup, please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437       

@Cribs  How can my port fail? I’ve only been a customer with PM since February 6th.

Yes it can go wrong before the 30 days, for example if a person doesn't leave their old provider sim in the phone to receive the old provider's text asking for permission to port the number, and/or if the person doesn't reply YES to that text within 90 minutes of receiving it.  You might want to check the status of your Rogers account.

Regarding being unable to submit a service ticket, the chatbot/ticket system is currently malfunctioning which is why we suggest directly private messaging customer service at the link I gave you earlier.  

Cribs

The new number assigned is not allowing for any incoming calls to my cell. To the best of my knowledge the old Rogers port has been closed as of February 6th. The Public Mobile experience went off the rails right from the start. Without proper Tech Support input then things are bleak and I’ve just become another unsatisfied customer through a bad PM experience.

Cribs

How can my port fail? I’ve only been a customer with PM since February 6th. Sorry but your reply does not make sense. It’s not 30 days yet so the auto port failure can’t be right. I know that you are trying to help but too many things have gone wrong with this account, including not being able to send in a SERVICE TICKET .

@Cribs  Are you saying that although I’m now unsubscribed that Public Mobile will automatically continue to auto bill m

No, they shouldn't continue to bill you if you unsubscribed, the account should automatically close after 90 days of non-payment but some people are more comfortable having their credit card removed regardless, in which case it requires contacting customer support.  

Cribs

Not getting text and not getting phone calls. My phone service with PM is just a mess. 

@Cribs wrote:

Not able to receive incoming calls either.

Is this one the new number or the number that you tried to port in.  Call and text messages to your old number would be going to your old carrier (if that service is still active).  In the Self Serve account, the website tell you that number porting was "successful" does not actually mean number porting was completed.  Publci Mobile currently only uses that word in the Self Serve account.  "Successful" only means that Public Mobile has received the request.  Did you receive a text message from Public Mobile asking you to restart/reboot your device?  That would actually mean that porting is done.  

Cribs

Joined February 6, 2024

Cribs

Are you saying that although I’m now unsubscribed that Public Mobile will automatically continue to auto bill me? I just want to just cancel my subscription and lose the $25 that they billed me through my credit card. Don’t want the headache any more.

@Cribs   Not receiving incoming calls is a typical problem when a number transfer hasn't worked properly.

Cribs

Not able to receive incoming calls either.

@Cribs   Support is not only the Community, you can contact Public Mobile customer support by private message using this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

I expect we didn't suggest that earlier because it sounded like a device settings problem, potentially at the text sender's end.  Now that we know your number changed then that's something different.  It happens automatically after 30 days if a port fails, as mentioned by @hTideGnow .  

How did you "cancel" PM?   Just to make sure you don't keep being charged since I assume you weren't able to port out the number, which would have deactivated the plan., some prefer to have their credit card removed in which case then contact customer service at the above link.  If you simply unsubscribed then the account should close after 90 days of no payment.

On the very few occasions I have contacted customer service they have responded quickly and fixed the problem.  It's unfortunate that you ran into a problem that turned out to be more than it initially appeared. 

HI @Cribs 

when did you join PM?  a month ago?  It sounds like the port was stuck for a month and that is why they cancelled the port request and assign you new number

we are just guessing here, but call porting support team and ask them to check.  I will message you the phon enumber.  Check Community inbox

Cribs

Public Mobile is just not a reliable network. Now they have arbitrarily assigned me with a new cell number. Originally they had communicated that my preferred cell number was successfully transferred from Rogers. There is NO technical support whatsoever except Community Support (hit & miss proposition). Yes the low monthly fees/plan from Public Service is attractive but not worth the aggravation that I am going through. I've cancelled my subscription and basically accept the fact that $25 of my hard earned money is down the drain. How can a company operate in this fashion? Find a carrier that offers real & accessible Tech Support.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Cribs 

Was it only text you are not getting?  can you confirm you can get inbound calls? Reboot phone once more time and then try calling from people with different carriers

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Phil_Adelphus I'm aware. I'm saying that it's likely he would be receiving it on iphone cause his friend isn't sending it as SMS like you did. Cause imessage is both an internet chat/SMS app and will use internet if sending to a number linked to imessage. So since he doesn't have imessage he won't get the messages.

@Shutdown   The OP has an Android (Moto G), it is the senders that have iPhones.  I just wonder if the problem is at the sender end and they don't have send as SMS enabled.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sounds like this is an imessage issue. It's likely the imessage isn't sending a SMS but rather imessage to immesage. Did you ever setup your number on iphone if so you'll need to remove it from imessage.

@Cribs   Since these are iPhone to Android messages, is it possible that some of the iPhone users don't have SMS texts enabled as @computergeek541 suggested?  There are Moto G models listed on Public Mobile's VoLTE list so at least some do work on PM.  

Cribs

I have a Motorola Moto G android phone. Is it possible that it is NOT fully compatible with the Public Mobile network? How can one check if my phone is compatible?? Thanks for any assistance that you may provide.

Cribs

No, I have an android phone.

Cribs

I have an Android phone (Moto G).

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Cribs   If you go to settings in iMessage and select Send and Receive, does it have the right phone number checked?

@Cribs wrote:

New Public Mobile customer. I am unable to receive text messages from some of my contacts. I can receive text from my daughter (Iphone user) but not able to receive text from a couple of friends(they both use Apple Iphone). Why then do some texts come in and some others do not? They are not blocked numbers in case someone asks. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Thanks..

Are you also using an iPhone?  This might not be a Public Mobile issue.  Ensure that yoru friends have the SMS option enabled.

Need Help? Let's chat.