cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inaccurate location

cm41
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey y'all,

When I open public mobile, it shows me as being in Quebec, so I have to change my location to Nova Scotia.

Often while online Google tells me my location is Quebec, which is problematic because while browsing shopping sites etc, I'm automatically seeing items for stores in Quebec.  Often Google maps thinks I'm in Quebec or more recently in the Atlantic Ocean! Lol

But recently Google has started to shut my search requests down stating that there is too much traffic on my computer network, then gives me kapchas(?) to do;  yet I only have data on this phone. I do not have a computer. I never use wifi.  Can someone please tell me what the bleep is going on?  Thanks 🙂

12 REPLIES 12

There are free VPN's. I kind of doubt it though. Just grasping at straws. What OS? iOS or Android?

cm41

I don't know. Lol   So I guess the answer would be know.  I haven't purchased one, if that's how that works.  I know, I'm pathetic! 😂

How about, are you on a VPN? A VPN can make you look like you're from anywhere.

cm41

Thank you everyone for explaining this to me.  What with Google shutting down my browsing and the inaccurate location I was worried about my phone being hacked.  Now to figure out why Google thinks I'm a network!  😂

Thanks again.

cm41

Ci did that and that's when I ended up in the Atlantic Ocean! 🤣

@cm41 wrote:

Both links tell me my address is Moncton NB (not even close to where I am). The second link tells me that my IP address is exposed and I'm at risk!

Very reassuring. Lol

@cm41   Ignore that at risk warning, they are trying to sell you VPN  LoL

@cm41 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the insight.  But how would my IP address have been linked to Quebec? Is that automatic with Public Mobile?

it is possible that Telus' system in the East are based on Quebec and that data centre controls all the eastern province.   But that is only my guess

To make your search more accurate , you likely need to have your GPS turned on

cm41

Both links tell me my address is Moncton NB (not even close to where I am). The second link tells me that my IP address is exposed and I'm at risk!

Very reassuring. Lol

@cm41 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the insight.  But how would my IP address have been linked to Quebec? Is that automatic with Public Mobile?

Entire blocks of IP addresses can be associated with specific locations.  It's based on a database. You can't change the location linked to an IP address.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cm41   with your Mobile Data turned on , check these where is my IP location site, see if it makes sense 

https://www.iplocation.net/

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

cm41

@cm41 wrote:

Hey y'all,

When I open public mobile, it shows me as being in Quebec, so I have to change my location to Nova Scotia.

Often while online Google tells me my location is Quebec, which is problematic because while browsing shopping sites etc, I'm automatically seeing items for stores in Quebec.  Often Google maps thinks I'm in Quebec or more recently in the Atlantic Ocean! Lol

But recently Google has started to shut my search requests down stating that there is too much traffic on my computer network, then gives me kapchas(?) to do;  yet I only have data on this phone. I do not have a computer. I never use wifi.  Can someone please tell me what the bleep is going on?  Thanks 🙂

Unless the website that you visit uses your phone's GPS (and you give it permission to), this is based on the IP address of your internet connection.  IP addresses can be linked to any geographic location.

Need Help? Let's chat.