cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XR not sending SMS texts, only iMessages by wifi

mattsregister
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an unlimited Text plan, running on an iPhone XR. 

When I send texts on Messages, they only get sent when I'm on wi-fi. Weirdly, texts/SMS does go through to Android phones, so this only seems to be to other iPhones. This applies to both sending and receiving messages. When to/from another iPhone, it only works if I'm on wi-fi.

I have tried already:

- Confirming settings in that "send as SMS" is "on" when iMessage is unavailable.

- restarting phone

- removing SIM card and restarting phone

- checked settings in My Account and now have a ticket in to Public mobile

Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21

@PhoneMom wrote:

When we put in the phone number instead of the email it says that it failed?  Any further suggestions?

Is the phone number a "mobile" number vs a land line?

Is your Data or Wifi turned on? If both "off" then immessage to another apple product won't work. BUT a text will work to and android phone in a green bubble with Data and Wi-Fi turned off. 

An email address for immessage only works, apple to apple and all ID's (email or phone #) need to be registered. 

Do you have other apple devices on the same cloud account? If yes do you have immessage turned on, on all devices. Or in short to all texts show on all devices? 

Does the message say failed or not delivered?

What happens if you send another text after the failed message?

I get the not delivered message on my iMac every now and then but find that they actually go through. 

Edit:

Also try to turn off immessage and turn it back on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhoneMom : Did you read the reply from CalgaryBen? Or the solution from dlambro?

Apple likes to keep you in their own world. SMS is universally standard. You gotta work a little to break free from their grasp.

PhoneMom

When we put in the phone number instead of the email it says that it failed?  Any further suggestions?

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mattsregister You can disable iMessages through your Apple ID, but I would try one more thing first.  Make sure you have your phone number listed under Settings/Messages/Send and Receive. From the web:  If you have an iPhone and another iOS device, like an iPad, your iMessage settings might be set to receive and start messages from your Apple ID instead of your phone number. To check if your phone number is set to send and receive messages, go to Settings > Messages, and tap Send & Receive.  Also, as @CalgaryBen and @Dunkman mentioned earlier, iMessages does not consume much data, so if you have a small amount of data on your plan, you should be able to keep your data on and still keep iMessages enabled. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dunkman wrote:

@mattsregister 

iMessage needs data to send messages effectively to other iphone users (when not using Wifi).  You may need to go to apple servers to logout out of iMessages completely.  Apple servers check if you or somebody else is using iMessages and if they are registered, will only send iMessage if on wifi or data.  Easiest to keep data on as iMessages does not consume lots of data.  

@mattsregister@Camera4617 is correct.  It should just be a matter of disabling iMessage -- if you're okay with losing the benefits of iMessage (you'll lose the ability to send/receive read receipts, share location, message others using their e-mail, etc.).

First, go into Messages (Settings --> Messages) and view the "Send & Receive" under iMessage (if you've disabled iMessage, temporarily enable it, and wait for activation to complete; you'll then see the option).

iMessage1.png

You'll then see how iMessage senders can reach you, and how your outgoing messages are initiated (ideally from your phone number, and not your e-mail/AppleID).  This step is just to give yourself context about your recent conversation threads -- i.e. if new conversations were initiated from your e-mail address, that would explain any attempts to "resume" the thread being in iMessage.

iMessage2.png

Now, go back to Messages, disable iMessage, and if necessary, start a new thread with the recipient phone number (rather than resuming a previous thread, especially if you had the iPhone set to start conversations from an e-mail).  The "send" button should now be green and send immediately (even in the absence of WiFi/data), and responses should shift over to SMS (first one may take a few minutes, if the recipient previously corresponded with you via iMessage).  If this is the desired way to communicate, leave the iMessage setting off (don't flip it on and off, because this will confuse other iPhones as may they "think" you're a valid iMessage recipient, which will delay delivery).

iMessage3.png

Note that if you're in the habit of turning off cellular data, MMS (photos and videos) will not come through until you re-enable cellular data (even though these do not consume your allotment of data).

Having said all that, I agree with @Dunkman in that keeping data on for iMessages provides a better overall experience, and that text messages via iMessage consumes very little data.  Of course, that changes if you send/receive pictures or videos via iMessage (whereas using MMS does not consume your bucket of data), so that's obviously a consideration, depending on how you interact with others.

I have an iPhone with no data plan, but I've managed to stretch a 1GB add-on over more than a year, even with iMessage enabled all the time, and data always turned on.

@mattsregister 

iMessage needs data to send messages effectively to other iphone users (when not using Wifi).  You may need to go to apple servers to logout out of iMessages completely.  Apple servers check if you or somebody else is using iMessages and if they are registered, will only send iMessage if on wifi or data.  Easiest to keep data on as iMessages does not consume lots of data.  

I will tag @CalgaryBen , the apple expert in our forum for more advice and help.  

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mattsregister wrote:

Thanks.

I've tried all these suggestions and still only messages go through when I reconnect to wi-fi. Sending out without being connected the message loads but never sends.

Super weird!

@mattsregister That's strange. Did you try disabling iMessages? 

@mattsregister 

Try:

1. Turn iMessage and Facetime OFF, wait 5 minutes and turn ON.
  2. Go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it.
  3. Best setup for messages: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show your PM phone number and Apple ID email.
  4. Confirm mobile data is actually working; e.g. web searches.

Courtesy of @Luddite .

mattsregister

Thanks.

I've tried all these suggestions and still only messages go through when I reconnect to wi-fi. Sending out without being connected the message loads but never sends.

Super weird!

Camera4617

@mattsregister I was playing with this on my phone and I had an issue like you. So, at the end, I made it work but this is what I did 

• I ensure my settings are 'from phone number' (as they were not)
  • Deleted original conversation
  • Turned off Wifi/Data and sent SMS (that worked)
  • Then when I turn on WiFi, it detects internet and automatically changes to iMessage
  • If I turn off WiFi, it detects it and switches to SMS

So, try this if still did not got it working. 

Camera4617

One more thought, are YOU sending from your phone number or eMail cause you have that option (start new conversation from ..).  It must be something as your SMS to android work and it seems just something in your settings is wrong. So, make sure it phone number to phone number.. 

Camera4617

@mattsregister Technically, if you are not on data/wifi it should send it as SMS after some time. Now, that time could vary and I'm not sure there is a rule like 'after 2 min send as sms'.. So it should send it as SMS at some point. However, if that for some reason doesn't work, you could try disabling iMessage in settings and only using SMS.. Unless you have a reason that you cannot do that. I'd do it just for 'testing' purpose if nothing else. 

mattsregister

Yep, also confirmed it's going to mobile # not email. (I thought you were on to something there though!).

Camera4617

@mattsregister  Did you try what I suggested? Tap and hold on the message you want to send as SMS and then that option should pop-up.. Also, did you make sure you are sending it to 'phone number' , not to email? 

mattsregister

Thanks.

I did try this and it didn't work. That does seem to be the issue - it only wants to send as iMessage. If I have wi-fi on, or data enabled, it goes through. But that's the problem, I want to be able to send texts without using data.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mattsregister wrote:

When I send texts on Messages, they only get sent when I'm on wi-fi. Weirdly, texts/SMS does go through to Android phones, so this only seems to be to other iPhones. This applies to both sending and receiving messages. When to/from another iPhone, it only works if I'm on wi-fi.

I have tried already:

- Confirming settings in that "send as SMS" is "on" when iMessage is unavailable.

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

I think your data is not working.  You cannot use your browser without wifi.  Am I right?

1.  iMessage uses data or WiFi to send/receive message.

2.  SMS message is sent by piggyback on the voice channel.  Therefore, sending and receiving SMS does not need data or WiFi.  This is the reason why you can send/receive SMS when you do not have wifi and data on your phone is not working (i.e. your iMessage is not working).

You need to configured your APN settings to get your data working.

You may need to connect to your iPhone to iTune app running on PC or Mac to update your iPhone with your PM SIM card inserted to setup your APN settings.

Camera4617

@mattsregister One more thing, are you sending it to contact's phone number or email? That could be a reason that SMS is not kicking in as iMessage can be sent to either, but SMS only to phone number. 

@mattsregister wrote:

I have tried already:

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

Messages sent through iMessage to iPhones users and ones received from other iPhone users works when you're on Wi-Fi but not when you're using mobile data?  Is internet working at all when you're not using Wi-Fi?

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mattsregister :Because you say that your SMS problem is only with other iPhones when not on WiFi, I think it could be that something wing with your data or you are out of data - because iMessage uses data.

Try log into your self serve see how much data you got left and also try to use internet when not on wifi, if you can only use internet when on WiFi - then you know problem is your phone data turned off or blocked out run out.

Camera4617

@mattsregister wrote:

I have tried already:

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

@mattsregister I'd assume that iPhone is still trying to send it as iMessage. One thing you can try, turn off your wifi, try to send a message (it will be blue as for iMessage) and then press and hold that message and click 'Send as SMS'.. Is your data working? There is no 'easy way' for iPhone to know what you want to send, SMS or iMessage. If it is to iPhone, it will try iMessage always. You could just disable iMessage and then SMS should work all the time regardless of wifi or data.. Let me know if that SMS tip works. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@mattsregister verify that the other party also has their sms settings enabled. you don't have any issues sending sms... you've confirmed this with android devices. 

you can try and re-register your Apple ID

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

Need Help? Let's chat.