cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XR not sending SMS texts, only iMessages by wifi

mattsregister
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an unlimited Text plan, running on an iPhone XR. 

When I send texts on Messages, they only get sent when I'm on wi-fi. Weirdly, texts/SMS does go through to Android phones, so this only seems to be to other iPhones. This applies to both sending and receiving messages. When to/from another iPhone, it only works if I'm on wi-fi.

I have tried already:

- Confirming settings in that "send as SMS" is "on" when iMessage is unavailable.

- restarting phone

- removing SIM card and restarting phone

- checked settings in My Account and now have a ticket in to Public mobile

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mattsregister You can disable iMessages through your Apple ID, but I would try one more thing first.  Make sure you have your phone number listed under Settings/Messages/Send and Receive. From the web:  If you have an iPhone and another iOS device, like an iPad, your iMessage settings might be set to receive and start messages from your Apple ID instead of your phone number. To check if your phone number is set to send and receive messages, go to Settings > Messages, and tap Send & Receive.  Also, as @CalgaryBen and @Dunkman mentioned earlier, iMessages does not consume much data, so if you have a small amount of data on your plan, you should be able to keep your data on and still keep iMessages enabled. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@mattsregister verify that the other party also has their sms settings enabled. you don't have any issues sending sms... you've confirmed this with android devices. 

you can try and re-register your Apple ID

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

daki28

@mattsregister wrote:

When I send texts on Messages, they only get sent when I'm on wi-fi. Weirdly, texts/SMS does go through to Android phones, so this only seems to be to other iPhones. This applies to both sending and receiving messages. When to/from another iPhone, it only works if I'm on wi-fi.

I have tried already:

- Confirming settings in that "send as SMS" is "on" when iMessage is unavailable.

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

@mattsregister I'd assume that iPhone is still trying to send it as iMessage. One thing you can try, turn off your wifi, try to send a message (it will be blue as for iMessage) and then press and hold that message and click 'Send as SMS'.. Is your data working? There is no 'easy way' for iPhone to know what you want to send, SMS or iMessage. If it is to iPhone, it will try iMessage always. You could just disable iMessage and then SMS should work all the time regardless of wifi or data.. Let me know if that SMS tip works. 

villellamcmeans
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mattsregister :Because you say that your SMS problem is only with other iPhones when not on WiFi, I think it could be that something wing with your data or you are out of data - because iMessage uses data.

Try log into your self serve see how much data you got left and also try to use internet when not on wifi, if you can only use internet when on WiFi - then you know problem is your phone data turned off or blocked out run out.

@mattsregister wrote:

I have tried already:

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

Messages sent through iMessage to iPhones users and ones received from other iPhone users works when you're on Wi-Fi but not when you're using mobile data?  Is internet working at all when you're not using Wi-Fi?

daki28

@mattsregister One more thing, are you sending it to contact's phone number or email? That could be a reason that SMS is not kicking in as iMessage can be sent to either, but SMS only to phone number. 

popping
Oracle
Oracle

@mattsregister wrote:

I have tried already:

- restarting phone

Any suggestions?

I think your data is not working.  You cannot use your browser without wifi.  Am I right?

1.  iMessage uses data or WiFi to send/receive message.

2.  SMS message is sent by piggyback on the voice channel.  Therefore, sending and receiving SMS does not need data or WiFi.  This is the reason why you can send/receive SMS when you do not have wifi and data on your phone is not working (i.e. your iMessage is not working).

You need to configured your APN settings to get your data working.

You may need to connect to your iPhone to iTune app running on PC or Mac to update your iPhone with your PM SIM card inserted to setup your APN settings.

mattsregister

Thanks.

I did try this and it didn't work. That does seem to be the issue - it only wants to send as iMessage. If I have wi-fi on, or data enabled, it goes through. But that's the problem, I want to be able to send texts without using data.

daki28

@mattsregister  Did you try what I suggested? Tap and hold on the message you want to send as SMS and then that option should pop-up.. Also, did you make sure you are sending it to 'phone number' , not to email? 

mattsregister

Yep, also confirmed it's going to mobile # not email. (I thought you were on to something there though!).

Need Help? Let's chat.