Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7 - No cellular data access

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ISSUE - cannot access cellular data network
Iphone 7 ios 14.4.2. 

500 mb + 500 mb bonus plan

My spouse is a relatively new member for the past 2 months and  (since day 1?) told me she cannot access the cellular data network.

The message when trying to open a website is "Safari cannot open the page because your iPhone is not connected to the Internet."

The phone and texting works.

• I have performed a hard reset of the iPhone. 
  • The service banner at the top of the iPhone shows "Public Mobile 3G"
  • Cellular is turned "on"
  • Turned off "wifi" setting to isolate the issue.
  • I go to Settings-Cellular-Cellular Data Network (under Public Mobile heading) and under "Personal Hotspot", there is the APN
  • Checked APN and showing as "isp.mb.com".  FYI, it is the same APN setting as my iPhone Xr.  
  • https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/apple-iphone-7  shows a different address - "sp.mb.com"

Do I change the APN as per the link above taking into consideration my iPhone Xr has the same setting?  Do I have to push "Reset Settings" when I do this?

Under the APN setting push "Reset Settings" without changing the APN?

All suggestions to fix the issue are appreciated.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Bottomshelf

Update:
The issue was Safari was disabled under Cellular Data.

Thanks for everyone's help including @esjliv who pointed me in the right direction and @Camera4617 for confirming.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Bottomshelf    If your Chrome browser (or any other app) worked, then it is your Cellular Settings for individual apps. I was under assumption that you did not 'disable' those but it seems you did at some point. Anyway, it is important that it works.. 

@Bottomshelf wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Bottomshelf , IIRC that was the old hotspot APN.  Officially the APN is supposed to be sp.mb.com.  This is the official help article for setting up the APN on the iPhone.  If it is not working, I would say follow the guide.  Don't fix what is not broken.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

@will13am @will13am   Thanks for the response..

A few points:

1) My iPhone Xr has the same settings - "isp.mb.com"; NOT "sp.mb.com".  I'm confused why it works on Xr and not the 7.Something to do with the fact it's a different phone?

2) The "Personal Hotspot" heading is greyed out.

Does that mean the APN shown "isp.mb.com" is pertaining to the cellular other than the "Personal Hotspot"?  

Are you suggesting I change APN to the "sp.mb.com"?  If I do, do I have to "reset settings" or just back all the way out?

Thanks.

I would start with changing the APN and progress from there.  

Bottomshelf

@esjliv : Thanks for your suggestions.

You mentioned that I should try accessing my data through the Chrome browser. The Chrome browser worked.

I did some more research and your hint led to correcting the issue, I hope.  To be sure, I will do a "test run" tomorrow to confirm that is the solution.

In my haste to set up my spouse's phone and trying to "save" her cellular data, the Safari data setting was toggled off. 

STEPS to test

• Go to Settings-WiFi         toggle off
  • Go to Settings-Cellular    toggle on
  • Scroll down  to CELLULAR DATA    toggle Safari to ON
  • Go to Safari and search for a website and if that works the problem is resolved

Conversely to test the opposite, toggle Safari to OFF (under Cellular Data), leave Wi-Fi off, leave cellular data ON and then try to search for a site.  You should get a no internet connection message. 

Be sure to toggle Wi-Fi back to "ON" when you are not using cellular data.

Here's the link I used after @esjliv made the initial suggestion.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/safari-not-working-iphone/

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  

Will update everyone tomorrow on how it went.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also not my wheelhouse but I was with darlicious in thinking one had to connect to itunes via usb until daki28 threw the spanner in the works.

Bottomshelf

@will13am wrote:

@Bottomshelf , IIRC that was the old hotspot APN.  Officially the APN is supposed to be sp.mb.com.  This is the official help article for setting up the APN on the iPhone.  If it is not working, I would say follow the guide.  Don't fix what is not broken.  

@will13am @will13am   Thanks for the response..

A few points:

1) My iPhone Xr has the same settings - "isp.mb.com"; NOT "sp.mb.com".  I'm confused why it works on Xr and not the 7.Something to do with the fact it's a different phone?

2) The "Personal Hotspot" heading is greyed out.

Does that mean the APN shown "isp.mb.com" is pertaining to the cellular other than the "Personal Hotspot"?  

Are you suggesting I change APN to the "sp.mb.com"?  If I do, do I have to "reset settings" or just back all the way out?

Thanks.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

As previous post suggested, I'd do Network Reset (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings). I had iPhone 7 and it worked fine. Never had to actually connect to iTunes to make it work and not sure what would that do.. 

Try that and see how it goes. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Bottomshelf wrote:

ISSUE - cannot access cellular data network
Iphone 7 ios 14.4.2. 

500 mb + 500 mb bonus plan

My spouse is a relatively new member for the past 2 months and  (since day 1?) told me she cannot access the cellular data network.

The message when trying to open a website is "Safari cannot open the page because your iPhone is not connected to the Internet."

The phone and texting works.

• I have performed a hard reset of the iPhone. 
  • The service banner at the top of the iPhone shows "Public Mobile 3G"
  • Cellular is turned "on"
  • Turned off "wifi" setting to isolate the issue.
  • I go to Settings-Cellular-Cellular Data Network (under Public Mobile heading) and under "Personal Hotspot", there is the APN
  • Checked APN and showing as "isp.mb.com".  FYI, it is the same APN setting as my iPhone Xr.  
  • https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/apple-iphone-7  shows a different address - "sp.mb.com"

Do I change the APN as per the link above taking into consideration my iPhone Xr has the same setting?  Do I have to push "Reset Settings" when I do this?

Under the APN setting push "Reset Settings" without changing the APN?

All suggestions to fix the issue are appreciated.

Thanks.

@Bottomshelf 

Well, gotta ask, is there a Data Line item showing on her Self Serve account, ensuring that there is data available on her plan to use?

If it does show up, then is any showing being used up? This would be interesting because this would mean data is being used at some point.

If you see full amount like below, then okay, no data is for sure being used.

500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed

1024  /  1024 MB

Can she try her SIM card into your phone to make sure the Data works then?

• If it still does not work and full 1024 MB data is showing on the account, I would check with the Moderators to check the data status on the account.

• If it does work, then, this rules out an account issue...so then it is likely a phone issue.

Yes, perform a Reset of the Network Settings and ensure software is all up to date.

Toggle into Airplane mode for a few minutes, then go back to regular mode.

Ensure DATA is enabled.

Last resort do a Factory Reset (make back ups of info. first).

You mentioned Safari, does Safari work through wifi okay?

Try DATA through Chrome.

[Safari was off ..... Luddite]

@Bottomshelf 

Certainly not in my wheelhouse but don't you have to sync the iPhone to iTunes while on wifi after you performed any software updates before it sets up the APN? Or something like that?

@LurganIeUk  or @AE_Collector  would know better than I do on Apple matters....

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Bottomshelf    check this old thread to see if it is helpful

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118

Also, when you reset network,  shouldn't you have your Wifi turned on?

Need Help? Let's chat.