cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i think someone is using my cell phone number

mpetro1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i received a return call from someone, however i did not originally call them. could someone be using my cell phone number or sim card? i just saw this happening on the news where hackers steal your cell number/sim card to do banking etc.  i would like to contact customer service at public but the link does not work for me. 

8 REPLIES 8

mpetro1

thank you

@mpetro1 wrote:

the caller had first 6 digits the same as mine, so i thought they were local. 

@mpetro1 

this is the trick with caller id spoofing, too., when they call you, they would fake a number with the first 6 digits same and only alter the last 4 digits

@mpetro1 again, the call that the other person got saying it got from you was not really from your sim card.  It was just people use technology to fake the caller id display.  The person has no access to your sim card and you don't have anything compromised.   It is caller id spoofing and it happens daily with different phone number.  They just use system to randomly generates a phone number.

With the current caller spoofing situation, carriers and CRTC cannot do much to stop , but again, the risk is low anyway

With sim fraud about taking over your number, there is no worries too.  Anyone want to port your phone number needs to have your account number or IMEI and the PM system will also send you a text and you need to approve.  Just make sure you don't answer YES to any suspicious text

if you want, you can contact agent by direct message, but there is nothing much more they can do, you are already protected

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

mpetro1

the caller had first 6 digits the same as mine, so i thought they were local. i looked up their name as was displayed in my caller id and Linked-In said they were a social worker at a local organization. I called back the caller who said he was just returning my call, however i had not originally called him.

@mpetro1   I've had these, they particularly like to spoof local numbers so that people are more likely to answer them.   They probably don't know your name, the numbers they call are auto-generated and toss them out to see which stick.  I'm not sure that customer service can do much in advance but since you asked how to contact them this is how, send a private message using this link (the chatbot/ticket system is unreliable) and an agent will reply at the envelope icon top right or tap your avatar for Messages.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

mpetro1

my concern is if someone has my name and cell phone number that they will try to take over my number and sim card by giving public a new sim card #.   internet says you should contact your cell phone service provider to notify them if you get spoofing call. i want public to know that i am not changing my sim #. my link to customer service ticket does not work.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Some crook did spoof your number and called that person. Then THAT person called YOU asking 'why did you call him/her'.
You are not the first nor last. I used to get a call from BC asking me (ON) 'why did I called them'... Fun...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mpetro1 

this is Caller ID spoofing.

Scammer use system to fake the caller id to fool people to think a real person is calling and not those annoying sales calls. The one receive that call see your number and not aware of caller id spoofing and hence call you back and ask

More infor Caller id spoofing

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Sorry, there is really nothing much you can do to stop, but you didn't have anything compromised.  So, thing to worry about

Need Help? Let's chat.