cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

going to the US

Aug
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I live in Canada and will be going to the US for 1 month.  I have $40plan that is Canada only mins.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to ensure I can continue making calls from the US to Canada and have my data plan working?

thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Yes.

2. different prices for different offerings.

The system doesn't work that way.

Forward your PM number to your presumably Canadian-number voip line and then leave the SIM at home.

3. AT&T and T-Mobile are major players.

Aug

OPC904, 

This is interesting can I get my current number forwarded into such a system, so that if someone calls it would be routed through the VOIP?

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Aug  Public only offers 10 day roaming that is why you can't get 30 days. Public works on 3g with ATT and T-Mobile.

Aug

Thank you all for your replies!  So here is what i think I'm being told:

1. Because I'm going to the US my phone will not work regardless of my plan (even if i upgrade it to Canada/US calls with Data).  

2. For my phone to work since  Public is not in the US (Washington) I would need Roaming setup which is $10/10days (Is this a good price?)  Question: why could i not just pay 1time for 30 days of roaming so there is no break.  I'm already using VOIP for work but family, friends, other essentials are using my phone#.

3. so if I pay for the Roaming It's possible that my service is still going to suck based on the local providers and their 3g 5g network availability.

Do I have all this correct?

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Aug 

public mobile U.S. Roaming 10 day packages,

but there a important: As of February 22nd, 2022, some United States (U.S) carriers will begin turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks in the U.S. As a result, some customers using U.S. roaming add-ons may be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

i advise you for prepaid sim card U.S.  Amazon.ca : prepaid sim

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You have to buy US add-on. Please note that US roaming start immediately after purchase and runs for 10 days. To buy another one you have to wait 24 hours and then purchase additional. Consider below prices for US add-ons and determine if they are worth to you vs. obtaining local SIM for 30 days.

US ROAMING ADD-ONS

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aug : Just some slight clarity for the above helpful posts. The problem with the buying of these data add-ons is the same named one. You can buy say the 500MB one. Then maybe you use it all before it expires. You can then buy say the 250MB one. All good. The system won't actually let you buy the same one until that day after it expires. That's data.

Talk and maybe text: DO NOT buy the other bundle or individuals before the expiry. So keep track of the specific time you bought the add-on. It stops exactly 240 hours later. You'll know it anyway when it stops working. You still can't buy the same named one but you CAN buy the different bundle or individual.

By the way, you can receive texts in the states. So people could text you and then use those above voip suggestions to call them back. Or even use the voip app to text them back.

0PX9O4

@Aug 

You may consider using one of the free VoIP apps that provide Canadian numbers. Textnow, Fongo, and Hushed are examples of such apps, though there are countless others. These will allow you to continue to make and receive calls anywhere in the world where you have a data connection, using the new Canadian number provided to you by the app.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Aug   It is a bit trouble and expensive to use US roaming for a month. First, it only in 10 days, 240 hours at a time.  And you have to buy it every 10 days.  However, there is a 24 hours wait time before you can repurchase the exact same package or you will have to ask PM Support to buy it without waiting the 24 hours.  Also, if you used all your data before the 10 days, you also need to ask PM Support to repurchase for you

I suggest you to consider buying local Data prepaid SIM and use VoIP apps to make and receive calls.  If you setup the VoIP app ahead of your trip, you can set call forwarding to the VoIP number to receive incoming calls to your PM number (but text cannot be forwarded unless you use some apps to help)

BeachNBeer

@Aug  Public Mobile only offers 10 day USA add-ons. You can buy one at a time. In your account click on Purchase add-ons. 

important - The add-on starts as soon as you buy it. So don't buy an add-on until you're about to leave. 

When I say one add-on at a time. Buy one USA add-on and use it for the 10 days. It's been reported that people buy additional and then the service stops working. Like they have one add-on going then on 9th day they go buy another add-on. Or buying multiple USA data add-ons.

You may want to consider downloading Textnow app. You get another Canadian number in your area and can call USA/CAN numbers for free as long as you have a wifi connection. You can text, has caller id and even voicemail if you're not online. The other person doesn't need the app only the number to reach you.

You may also want to consider buying a USA prepaid SIM card when you're in the states for data. Most are unlimited or high amounts where it's going to be rather expensive on PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.