cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forget password and having trouble resetting it!

anthonybennett
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi can you help, my other laptop recently crashed and I had my sign in and password saved on it. I didnt remember my password off by heart, so i clicked on forget password. However, the issue is when i get to secret question, its asking my dads birth year which i obviously know, but it keeps saying my answer is wrong and locked my account.

how do i unlock the account, and reset my password? as I want to have access before renewal time of my plan thanks

-Anth

10 REPLIES 10

@Spudster 

Perhaps the Oracles (as a group) could put together a table-like summary of the various situations whereby the following actions do / do not help when managing one's account/services:

• waiting 1 hour✓ - activation/password resets
  • clearing cache× - redundant
  • clearing cookies× - redundant
  • opening incognito tabs✓ - better than clearing cache/cookies. you don't lose browsing history

- password resets(after the password                  has been successfully reset)

- activating accounts

- self serve/community log in issues

- slow loading of the website

• using different browsers× - redundant unless the browser is not on PM's recommended list
  • using different device✓ - good to diagnose service/phone issues

OP said "its asking my dads birth year which i obviously know, but it keeps saying my answer is wrong and locked my account." 

the OP most likely tried multiple times and locked their account. in this case clearing cache/cookies would have no effect, since the account is locked and it has no relation to the answer stored in PM's system. 

@darlicious wrote:

Perhaps an oracle or other member can tell you how many tries you get (5?) before it locks you out for an hour

It is normally 5 attempts, but the amount of attempts can also depend on if it was recently locked out or if you're a new customer.  Anyone could have tested this theory out, although I don't recommend it case you really do lock yourself out. You are given a final warning after making the second last attempt.  And while the error message when you're locked out does say to wait one hour, the actual amount of time is much less.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo   

Perhaps the Oracles (as a group) could put together a table-like summary of the various situations whereby the following actions do / do not help when managing one's account/services:

• waiting 1 hour
  • clearing cache
  • clearing cookies
  • opening incognito tabs
  • using different browsers
  • using different device

@anthonybennett 

Perhaps an oracle or other member can tell you how many tries you get (5?) before it locks you out for an hour but a long while ago a member had a similar issue where the year of birth ie. 1951 was accidently put in wrong by tapping the number key beside it.....usually you would notice a mistake on the 19_ _ part but maybe not the _ _51 part. So it could easily have been imputted as 1961 for example and not be noticed.

Spudster

@mimmo wrote:

@esjliv, @Spudster @ I don't understand how  clearing cache etc help in this type of situation?  There appears to be a discrepancy between the registered answer and the info  sent in the form....who knows it could possibly even just be an extra space somewhere. Or is there some technical aspect that clearing cache /new browser will solve when submitting form

@mimmo   It seems to be a common theme here on these threads...  [wait, clear, incognito, different browser, different device]

Sometimes data, which is stored in the cache prohibits loading of up-to-date contents. When you delete the stored cache data, the new version can be retrieved. In many website related issues, the cache is the root of all evil.

Agree, when the user is entering the wrong information altogether, clearing cache is likely irrelevant, but it still may be part of an overall solution when used in conjunction with other things.

@mimmo 

Not sure, weird things happen.

Reset, refresh, redo.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@esjliv, @Spudster @ I don't understand how  clearing cache etc help in this type of situation?  There appears to be a discrepancy between the registered answer and the info  sent in the form....who knows it could possibly even just be an extra space somewhere. Or is there some technical aspect that clearing cache /new browser will solve when submitting form

Spudster

In these cases, TIME is your best friend @anthonybennett 

WAIT 1 hour, CLEAR cache and cookies, then try again, making sure to manually enter your e-mail address (i.e. don't let any autocomplete program fill it in for you).   

THEN, try the forgot password option again.

If you're stuck again, perhaps purchase a payment voucher from www.recharge.com or at one of the following locations below.   This will at least get you over the next renewal period.  Add them to your service by dialing *611 from the device.

Spudster_0-1622420219282.png

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@anthonybennett wrote:

Hi can you help, my other laptop recently crashed and I had my sign in and password saved on it. I didnt remember my password off by heart, so i clicked on forget password. However, the issue is when i get to secret question, its asking my dads birth year which i obviously know, but it keeps saying my answer is wrong and locked my account.

how do i unlock the account, and reset my password? as I want to have access before renewal time of my plan thanks

-Anth

@anthonybennett 

Clear your browser's cache and cookies. OR you can you try a different browser or device.

Then try the forgot your password option again.

If still issues contact the Moderators to help you get back into your account.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

in this case, the best way is to reset the password with Mod:

To open a ticket with mod, click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot
Enter your question in SIMon. Follow the prompts until you reach the Contact Us button,

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.