cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

esim for travel to usa from canada?

JONMILLS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Okay so both my wife and I are with public mobile and have like 50 gig each of data

We are going to florida for 8 days, I'm told that its best to go get a roaming esim like knowroaming who offer 5 gigs in the usa for 15 days for $16

Is that what i should get for both of us or does public mobile offer something for the usa ( i.e just fly into usa and your public mobile will work there without any weird charges or extra cost?)

Let me know. Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

@AllT Sure, but with the way this thread is worded, that scenario is highly unlikely and will likely add confusion (hence my clarification).

AllT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I said if it was the 50gb Canada/US plan it would work 

@JONMILLS   iPhone 12 should have VoLTE enabled by Public Mobile but most iPhones don't have a toggle for it, my iPhone 13 doesn't, it's just always on.  So you should be fine for voice calls in the US with a roaming add-on. 

@AllT Not necessarily true. While it's true there was a $34/50GB Can/US plan that was available for a week or so, the current $34/50GB plan does NOT include the US.

AllT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you have the 50gb Canada/us plan you don’t need any extra add ons just turn your data roaming on. And it should connect to AT&T or T mobile if it doesn’t you can turn auto connect off and connect manually.   It has always worked good for me 

@JONMILLS 

Most plans do not have US-Canada data/calling plans.  There were some special promo plans in the last several months that included US roaming.  Unfortunately, none are available at the present time. 

You can check your plan details in your self service account.  If it shows US data and calling included, then you have one of these promo plans.  Otherwise, you just have the Canada wide talk and data plans.  

For example, one of my plans has US talk and data and it shows up as:

image.png

JONMILLS

What is confusing is they say you can get a bundle addon ( data, talk and text) or just (talk and text)

Yet here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Blog-Post-Public-Mobile-s-Canada-US-Plans/....

It says: Public Mobile’s CAN/US subscription plans offer a seamless communication experience in both countries. You can use your mobile services, including data, in Canada and the U.S. just as you would at home, eliminating the need for temporary roaming add-ons. 

It makes it sound like you can use your current data from your plan in the usa without roaming addons

If i already have 50 gig of data on my plan

Why do i need their 3 gig data plan for the usa OR are you saying that my 50 gig doesn't work in the usa

It says:Uniform Data Usage: Whether you have 10GB or 50GB, your data pool remains the same across both countries.

It makes it sound like you can use the 50 gb of data vs buying the data or bundle option. 

@JONMILLS 

@JONMILLS wrote:

Dunkman if i go with public mobile addon, do you buy that the day before you travel?

Then turn on roaming the moment we are in the usa and it will work automatically then turn off roaming when we get back to canada?

I usually buy the day before I leave for USA.  I usually leave roaming on all the time anyways.  But, yes, you can turn it on while traveling and then off when you get back. 

The good thing about Public mobile is no surprise charges.  If you don't have that feature, it just won't work.  

iPhone 12 mini is VoLTE compatible.  

JONMILLS

Dunkman if i go with public mobile addon, do you buy that the day before you travel?

Then turn on roaming the moment we are in the usa and it will work automatically then turn off roaming when we get back to canada?

JONMILLS

Phil i have a iphone 12 mini. 

Under mobile options i don't see a volte option. NOt sure if the iphone 12 mini comes with it by default.

So are you saying that my options are this:

1. Go with public mobile bundle option ( data and phone and text) and have no worries just keep using my phone

2. Go with a company like airalo ( gives data only) but then i will have to use software like whats app or skype to phone as airalo doesn't give talk and text?

Also if i go with public mobile do i pay for it the day before to activate it? Then it will kick in once i fly over into the usa automatically or do i have to turn on roaming?

@JONMILLS Correct. Or find a local provider that offers phone and text service as well, but it will be with a different number. I believe Red Pocket Mobile is a cheap option from what I remember.

JONMILLS

Okay i get it so these companies offer data only. If i wanted to use them and phone, i would have to use a voip software like whats app or skype to phone?

You just have to know if your phone is VoLTE enabled. And then you should set it to 4G preferred (instead of 5G), and if course ensure data roaming is on. If you do that it should work great.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Other providers are Airalo and Ubigi. Keep in mind many of those esim providers default to show prices in USD. Still better value though, but as mentioned it's data only.

@JONMILLS   If one of your data uses might be Google Maps, you can download the map areas you want to use in advance over wifi or your PM Canada plan's data for use offline while travelling.  

JONMILLS

That makes a lot of sense. Saves messing around. I may go that route and just pay the $30 extra for both of us. total $60. Just then we get less gigs but 3gig should be fine for 8 days.

However i've heard on reddit people run into issues with PM usa addons for coverage.

JONMILLS

I see it would be easier to use public mobile usa bundle addon of $30 for 15 days. But thats $60 for both of us and we are limited to 3gig vs 5 gig in that time.

Knowroaming offers 5gig, 15 days, $16. So the two of us would only be $32 vs $60

Im sure there are other companies out there that are similiar maybe even better than knowroaming.

@JONMILLS wrote:

You said 'However, you should still be able to receive texts on your PM phone number while roaming in the USA (no charge).  '

If i switch to a domestic esim for travel, will i no longer get the texts on my pm phone number as it will now be using a different one right?

And are there any domestic esims you recommend beside knowroaming?

@JONMILLS 

Depends on your phone model.  Some phones can have two active SIM cards at the same time.  

Sorry, no recommendations for domestic SIM eSIMs.  

I usually just pay for the Public mobile 15 day roaming packages.  Easier and less potential headaches.  Also able to use my own number so if anybody in Canada needs to contact me, it is easier.  

Here is some more information about US roaming:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

JONMILLS

You said 'However, you should still be able to receive texts on your PM phone number while roaming in the USA (no charge).  '

If i switch to a domestic esim for travel, will i no longer get the texts on my pm phone number as it will now be using a different one right?

And are there any domestic esims you recommend beside knowroaming?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JONMILLS  You can get a Public Mobile add on for US roaming, either just talk and text, or talk, text and data.  They last 15 days from the time of purchase.  PM did have 30 and 90 day plans that covered both US and Canada until recently but it doesn't look like any are available now.  One important thing for voice calls in the USA is to have a VoLTE enabled phone on PM's acceptable list otherwise your only option would be T-Mobile's 2G where it still exists.  If you have a non-VoLTE phone messaging and data will still work so you could just download a voip app like Fongo or TextNow for your trip.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@JONMILLS 

It may be cheaper to purchase the domestic eSIM for travel purposes.  If you need your PM Canadian phone number, then you could purchase the following 15 day US roaming add ons.  More expensive though. 

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle   $30

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle $15

250 MB Data   $10

1 GB Data  $20

3 GB Data   $25

No extra charges with PM if you travel to USA.  The service just stops working.  However, you should still be able to receive texts on your PM phone number while roaming in the USA (no charge).  

At the present time, Public mobile is not offering any Canada-US data plans.  In the past, some of these plans were popular.

Need Help? Let's chat.