cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM Support

Dodex27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Any latest updates if Public Mobile will ever support eSIM?

18 REPLIES 18

@Charley123 wrote:

The account has been running several months. Sim is activated

@Charley123   what is this about?  This thread is a discussion of eSIM will be here but I am not sure you are replying that?  or you have some issue with your account?  if so, maybe give us more info?

Charley123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The account has been running several months. Sim is activated

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@NDesai wrote:

While there are some great things upcoming, unfortunately eSIM is not one of them. They would prefer to offer these extra features on Telus/Koodo to make people sign up for post paid and potentially make them pay more compare to PM. 

@NDesai    Hmm....any hints about those "great things upcoming"?   Hopefully, they're here soon...  😊

@XionBunny wrote:

honestly, it's too bad my A52 5G doesn't support esim, I did find it convenient when I owned a pixel 3a

Not too many Samsung phones have eSIM at the moment, I think

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

honestly, it's too bad my A52 5G doesn't support esim, I did find it convenient when I owned a pixel 3a

While there are some great things upcoming, unfortunately eSIM is not one of them. They would prefer to offer these extra features on Telus/Koodo to make people sign up for post paid and potentially make them pay more compare to PM. 

Dodex27

Yeah you are right. Provider still makes money from selling SIM cards. 😂

@Dodex27 wrote:

I know right. eSIM is cheap , network provider don't need to manufacture the chip, 

From what I heard,, carriers are not big fan of eSIM.  They still make some profit , small but still worth it, from physical SIMs. 

Also, eSIM makes switching carrier even quicker.  Before, you need to get a physical sim and that could make customers think twice.. Now, you see a good deal at 2am and jump on it immediately..

Dodex27

I know right. eSIM is cheap , network provider don't need to manufacture the chip, no packing and shipping. Just email the QR code and there you have it, eSIM ready to go. I bet the technology, infrastructure wise is shared between Telus anyway. Cost saving for the providers.

@Dodex27 wrote:

The new Google Pixels, Apple iPhones as well as non North American version of Samsung models supports eSIM.

Yes, our iPhone friends really care about the eSIM but overall the eSIM % is still pretty low.  Even Samsung is not going all in yet, only the top models have it.

@Dodex27 

The good thing is most other providers support it even internationally or in the US so one can get an e-sim plan with mint mobile for roaming in the US but still recieve incoming texts via the pm sim card and check voicemail for messages from incoming callers.

Dodex27

The new Google Pixels, Apple iPhones as well as non North American version of Samsung models supports eSIM. Other brands are supporting it too. The thing is, this is the future of dual sim. Also we are not 3rd world country, not supporting eSIM is like leaving PM into antiquity. I hope in the near future PM will think about it fingers crossed.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Dodex27 

I think only a handful of phones support eSims and pretty sure that a small percentage of people here at PM have one.   Heck, someone even today was asking about if PM sells flip phones.

So what does that tell you.

@Dodex27 wrote:

Koodo supports eSIM now the last time I have inquired. Even though this is a 3rd tier service provider I think it won't hurt Telus to have PM support it. This will even invite more people to subscribe with PM especially for individuals who uses multiple provider.

You cannot compare Koodo with PM... Koodo pretty much have everythint Telus has

not sure how far we are away from eSIM here.  But honest, PM has been like this for sometime and I didn't see any major good news in the past year.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dodex27 : You'd think a low-budget provider would be all over eSIM. No production and no shipping. Send a QR or whatever and the customer is away. For still-existing SIM phones fine...but production and shipping would be reduced as more and more devices adopt eSIM.

Dodex27

Koodo supports eSIM now the last time I have inquired. Even though this is a 3rd tier service provider I think it won't hurt Telus to have PM support it. This will even invite more people to subscribe with PM especially for individuals who uses multiple provider.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Dodex27 

Yes. They still don't support it and likely won't anytime soon.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Dodex27 

There's been no updates. Don't hold your breath.   lol 

Koodo and Telus would probably get it first, if they don't already. Not sure though.

Need Help? Let's chat.