cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dissable VOLTE

luigibell781
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hey public mobile....is there anyway to disable VOLTE on my account?

my samsung galaxy S23+ on android 14 OneUI6 does not have a option to turn it off....seems like I'm forced to use it..i would prefer to use the standard calling network as long as i can.

10 REPLIES 10

@Korth_ Fair. Reliability of it will inevitably get progressively worse over time though. I still say it's not a great solution to this particular problem. But yeah, who knows when the shutdown will actually happen.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DennyCrane wrote:

... the 3G network will be shut down in the next couple of years ...

May be shut down in the next couple years. The Big Three originally suggested their shutdown would be by Dec 2023 (in response to the US networks shutting down their 3G services in Dec 2022). Then they moved it to Dec 2024. And now they've moved it to Dec 2025. And always they offer it tentatively, almost like a guess, instead of officially declaring a fixed roadmap to a fixed destination date.

https://northernbi.com/3g-sunset-update-for-us-and-canadian-network-carriers/

Some journalist sites and "industry experts" have speculated that 3G shutdown might be phased out in an even longer timeframe. Since consumer smartphone devices are increasing emphasis away from 3G but numerous IoT, industrial, medical, commercial, and ancillar devices (smartwatches, wearables, etc) require 3G cellular to operate. The Big Three might still make money off their 3G services and might face a great deal of consumer backlash (or political demand for regulatory meddling) if they take 3G fully offline too quickly.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

No way to disable it, but you can work around it by forcing your phone onto the 3G network, as mentioned. But that's a short term (and not ideal) solution, as the 3G network will be shut down in the next couple of years. And the US has already shut theirs down, so if you ever plan on using your phone in the US you need VoLTE.

HI @luigibell781 

Telus hides the option (and some people says Samsung hides it)

there is a temporary workaround and likely get hide back after every reboot

Try downloading an app called Samsung Band Selector.  In the app, click More network settings and click on your sim. In there you should get an option to disable/enable volte

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@luigibell781 wrote:

i will try this....but would still like the option to switch it on or off.

You can force your phone to connect to 3G. If you have 3G in your area. And if your phone hasn't locked out that option.

Otherwise your choices are different phone, different network, or Airplane Mode.

luigibell781

@hTideGnow wrote:

@luigibell781 

try to click "Reset all networks" on your phone as well to see if it helps

and I wonder if the drop call issue is a Samsung device or OS problem.  Make sure your OS is updated, or hope the next update will fix it if it is an OS issue

i will try this....but would still like the option to switch it on or off.

@luigibell781 

try to click "Reset all networks" on your phone as well to see if it helps

and I wonder if the drop call issue is a Samsung device or OS problem.  Make sure your OS is updated, or hope the next update will fix it if it is an OS issue

luigibell781

"better" is subjective...but i would rather not have dropped calls at random...never has so many in the passed few weeks ever since getting this phone...

my older oneplus phone didn't have LTE calling and hardly EVER had dropped calls.

I may try switching networks but would rather keep LTE+ active.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@luigibell781 

just curious...why would you prefer not to use volte ? From my experience, volte seems to provide superior talkability.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Sorry @luigibell781 

PM and Telus hide the VoLTE box.  But VoLTE is usually better than 3g voice

if you really want 3G, go to Network mode and change your network to 3G Only or WCDMA only, but that will lower your data speed too if you are on 4G/5G speed plan 

settings  -> Connections-> Mobile networks-> Network mode.

Need Help? Let's chat.