cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data

Tates_123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have gone over on my data plan three times in the past few months. I've had the same plan for a few years now and I have no idea what I'm doing differently. I clicked on an article through the Chatbot but it didn't tell me much.  Can someone please tell me how to figure this out??

5 REPLIES 5

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Tates_123  PM generally keeps track of the data usage well and correct

So, it is up to you to manage your data usage

Are you on Android? if so, check the data usage tracker on your phone.  Change the Start billing cycle on date to match your current PM cycle date, and you can tell how much data used and which app used most data

E-MobileData.png

But if you are on iPhone, there is no way to look back on your usage, you can only Reset Statistics today and start tracking from today to see which app used all the data

To Reset data: go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics

iPhone-MobileData.jpg

@Tates_123 

in your phone settings, disable data to apps that you don't use on a regular basis. Also, disable Wifi Assist.

added...after the dreaded covid, we're all out and about again. Now using more data than when we were confined to barracks using home wifi.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Tates_123 - are you receiving text messages warning you of using up your data?

Are you also looking on your My Account to confirm your data is in fact, being used up? Note, you can also call 611 to check your data balance (this includes any plan or data addon balances you have on your account).

I ask these questions to ensure you are using up your data, and confirm your device is not set to turn off when it reaches a certain level of data usage. Or have a data limiter enabled.

If you are really using up your plan data, check out some suggestions on helping with usage: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/manage-your-data-usage

Tates_123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks so much. I'll check all that out.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Depending on what phone you have... Android or iPhone you can close a bunch of apps that you don't frequently use. Also, turn off auto update as that can chew up a lot of data updating programs. If you haven't yet, download the PM app to check daily to see if data is still being used. You can also download a battery saver app which will show you which apps are using the most power which kind of indicates what apps are still running that might be using data. Hope this helps.

Here's something for Android - Check Internet Data Usage 

Here's something for iPhone - My Data Manager VPN Security 

Both of these are free and hopefully helps you figure out what's consuming so much data. OH, also turn on your WiFi as much as possible. 

Need Help? Let's chat.