cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usages

Lisong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have updated to new 5G plan two days ago, but I noticed that the data usages have gone up double as compared with 4G one.

Same as before, just viewing some website. 

What does affect that, do I need update or change some setting in my phone? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

PhoneHome8932
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You could turn on "data saver" in settings, network & internet. This will reduce data use or block it from apps altogether.

@Lisong wrote:

I have updated to new 5G plan two days ago, but I noticed that the data usages have gone up double as compared with 4G one.

Same as before, just viewing some website. 

What does affect that, do I need update or change some setting in my phone? 

Using a different network or having a plan that allows higher speed does not and cannot in itself use more data. That assume that nothing else changes. A 1MB file download is still consumes 1MB no matter what speed it comes at.  Some websites or apps will run a speed detection routine and send larger files when there is a faster connection.

@Lisong 

disable data to all apps that you don't use on a regular basis. Also, make certain to disable Wifi Assist.

Lisong

Thanks!

I have 40G/30day  5G plan,   The usages for two is almost 3G, 

I only used 25G in 90 days  in  previous 60G/90day 4G plan.

No other changes, also my phone setup for 4G network  as before, I did not figure out the reason  of these data usages related to( higher  speed etc)

I like to know how can I do from my side to reduce the data usage a little bit. or nothing I can do now for it.  

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Lisong - It could be that 5G is turned on, and that you want slower speeds to burn less of your data. You can also switch it over to LTE (You'll keep Voice over LTE), or 3G (Where there is no VoLTE).

What I've seen with the 3G data set is that I get up to 4mbps, while on LTE I get 200 mbps. The 5G Speed I get is up to 267mbps.

Also if you aren't on a Can-US 5G Plan then you will fall into an unlimited bucket on any 5G plan at a reduced 512kbps speed (Slow, but good for emails, making phone calls, texting, simply googling up something, or going on google maps. Also, try a data saving web browser if you want (Just Google it up.)

Lisong

Thanks for reply, I have not done anything different from before in 4G

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Lisong   Have you done any speed tests by chance?  That uses a lot of data.  If you're viewing anything in higher resolution that can do it too.  There is likely a setting for that in the phone, what phone do you  have?  

Need Help? Let's chat.