cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data for an old iPad?

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am wondering if there is a way to rig up an old iPad in any way to be able to access data on it with a data only plan? It does not have a SIM slot or anything as it is a model from several years ago. 

11 REPLIES 11

Also keep in mind. 

An iPhone can be set up to minimize data when data is turned on. 

Ie. Background refresh on wifi only

Ie. Only “switch on” what apps that are allowed to use data. 

But I would assume once the iPad connected to the Hot Spot, the iPad would assume it was connected to wifi so all the iPad settings that would automatically use wifi would have to be scrutinized and adjusted accordingly to minimize unnecessary use of the Hot Spot. 

@fujiyama wrote:

Then the easiest way to make this work is to setup a hotspot on an old/spare cellphone and send it along with the iPad to your grandfather. This way he will also have another phone to use, should the need arise.

Make sure that ipad can connect to the phone's hotspot before sending it off. Don't forget to include charger and cables.

Make sure GrandPa knows:

To only turn data on when he wants to use it. 

To make sure both devices are set up to do no updating.

I don’t think there is good value here. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Then the easiest way to make this work is to setup a hotspot on an old/spare cellphone and send it along with the iPad to your grandfather. This way he will also have another phone to use, should the need arise.

Make sure that ipad can connect to the phone's hotspot before sending it off. Don't forget to include charger and cables.

helenhelen

It is possible to use WiFi with it (even without a SIM slot) and I have found it useful when travelling, for watching movies or doing anything that is too annoying on my small phone screen. Also, accessing e-books from the library. 

helenhelen

The mobile hotspot via cell phone isn't useful in this scenario bc the idea was to give the iPad to my grandfather so he can do FaceTime chats with us during the pandemic (currently, all seniors are locked in and no visitors are allowed for the safety of residents). We found out there is no WiFi available at his home as well, so only way is to have data. 

An iPad without cellular OR WiFi would really be a boat anchor! Well, a camera, maybe a day timer?

AE_Collector

Being an "old iPad" is not why it doesn't have a SIM card slot and you should check to ensure that it actually doesn't have one. They are hidden quite Well!  It has always been a $100+ option so someone buying a new iPad who doesn't specifically want cellular capability wasn't likely to spring for that version. To the best of my knowledge all iPads have been available with or without cellular capability. My mom has a cellular version of iPad 3. 

AE_Collector

@verheytb wrote:

No, iPad models without SIM cards are not able to connect to cellular networks. https://www.lifewire.com/does-ipad-have-sim-card-1994313

They do when hooked to a hot spot. Like your Public Mobile Phone. Could you not have a data only plan for a phone and then use the phone as a Hot Spot?

Edit: Data plan $30. $25 plan on AutoPay has 1GB and is a phone too!!

verheytb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No, iPad models without SIM cards are not able to connect to cellular networks. https://www.lifewire.com/does-ipad-have-sim-card-1994313

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen  your iPad can get data from your phone through a mobile hotspot  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/mobile-hotspot

Or if you have WiFi access you can log your iPad into it as long as it's WiFi capable.

Need Help? Let's chat.