cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

choosing a cell booster

zero_gravity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm in bad need of a cell booster/repeater. This is only for the purposes of making phone calls. The signal at my home is terrible. Calls inside are not possible, even sending a text is difficult at best. If I want to make a call I have to stand outside. Sometimes that doesn't really work either. I started using wireless earbuds just so I can place the phone in a spot with slightly better signal. My area is well known to have signal problems - seems to be due to geography. There are 3 towers not far. Bell/Tellus doesn't care, not surprising.

My plan would be to mount the receiving antenna on my chimney - fireplace is not used so that's not an issue. Believe it or not, I live in an urban neighborhood. I'm not out in the middle of nowhere.

So on to my question...what hardware should I be looking at for quality and cost? Home is only about 1200 sq ft, raised bungalow. Should I be concerned with any interference issues regarding neighbors? Couldn't find anything unbiased on Google, it's all 'hey buy our crap'.

I'm sure someone here has been down this path...

Now if only PM would offer internet calling.... I'd gladly pay more for this feature!

5 REPLIES 5

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@zero_gravity 

you would need a booster with bands 2(1900mhz) & 5(850mhz).

mattthetechguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've had great success with WeBoost stuff. If you feel like taking the spicy route there are tons of cheap Chinese-brand ones. I'd just be extra careful with them and make sure to read up on reviews for it.

I wouldn't be concerned about you interfering with neighbors signal. As long as you read the manual, make sure your antennas are not too close to each other, make sure the gain is not turned up too high, it really isn't rocket science.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@zero_gravity Even though your phone should switch automatically to 3G on calls, try setting your phone to 3G rather than LTE/auto; helps me. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@zero_gravity 

Before you go to all that added cost and trouble, why don't you try one month of the prepaid plan from Chatr.  Their on the Rogers network and offer wifi calling too.

It just may make a difference in your case.

Edit...   You can also give the VoIP calling app Fongo a try too for your calling needs.

Need Help? Let's chat.