cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't send text messages without being on the wifi

Coco13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bought a new Iphone and when I took the sim card out of the old Iphone and put in the new Iphone now I can't send text messages without being on Wifi.  I called apple support but they are telling me its a carrier issue.  What do I have to do?   thanks

27 REPLIES 27

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Like many of you, I'm unsure of what happened and what the solution was, but since iMessage is a data-driven messaging service, as opposed to SMS that is a network-driven messaging service, I can see how the troubleshooting steps yielded a solution (being on/off Wifi, etc).

We're probably missing some details of the exact steps of what was tried + what settings are there, but if we step through our own troubleshooting, I think we would probably end up with a similar solution.

Along with all of you, glad the OP got it fixed!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto. But I'm not pushing the OP. At least they came back with something. Many just disappear.

@Camera4617 wrote:

@Coco13 wrote:

so he did a text message test.  So in the text messaging he had me text my own phone number while on and off the wifi and with the Imessage on and off.  Also had me send a picture to my own phone number as well.  

I don't see how that made it work, especially if the issue was 'PM' which I doubt. Anyway, good it is resolved. 

I agree....

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Coco13 wrote:

so he did a text message test.  So in the text messaging he had me text my own phone number while on and off the wifi and with the Imessage on and off.  Also had me send a picture to my own phone number as well.  

I don't see how that made it work, especially if the issue was 'PM' which I doubt. Anyway, good it is resolved. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Do you still have the old phone? Can you move the SIM Card back and confirm that it works again? Or move to my other working phone for a test.

AE_Collector 

@AE_Collector : Perhaps it would be easier and more beneficial for the OP to move to their own other working phone rather than yours. 🙂

Oh geez.... just trying to be helpful! 
Just noticed the “auto-incorrect” now. That started out as Any and turned into My.

AE_Collector

@Coco13 

Thank you for the additional feedback. This will help us help others that experience a similar issue with their iPhones and dealing with apple support.

Coco13

Coco13

yes the settings were always the same as the example that was given but this support person did a bunch of test that the other support person didn't even try.  I am just happy its working lol

@Coco13 wrote:

yes thanks.  I had to speak to a third person at Apple Support and finally I have it working.  Thanks To everyone for your help.

@Coco13 always good to hear that a customer's issue/problem is resolved.  Yay!

If you have any other questions, we are here to help

Cheers

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Coco13 : So what did they do or have you do? We'd all like to know for future readers.

@Coco13 

I'm happy to hear you finally got the support you needed from apple support. Do your settings look like @LurganIeUk 's example?

Coco13

all working now thanks

Coco13

yes thanks.  I have it finally working.  After speaking to 3 people at Apple Support.

Coco13

yes thanks.  I had to speak to a third person at Apple Support and finally I have it working.  Thanks To everyone for your help.

Here are my SE settings. 

IMG_0988.PNG

IMG_0989.PNG

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Coco13 

On your iPhone,

• go to Settings.
  • Tap Messages.
  • Set iMessage to Off.

NO!! You do NOT have to turn immessage off. 

You can text green bubble no problem (to an android) but you may have to turn on DATA when no WIFI is available for immessage. 

@Coco13 

Please reply if you are available as @AE_Collector can help you troubleeshoot in real time.... whereas us android users are rather useless in this aspect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

Do you still have the old phone? Can you move the SIM Card back and confirm that it works again? Or move to my other working phone for a test.

AE_Collector 

@AE_Collector : Perhaps it would be easier and more beneficial for the OP to move to their own other working phone rather than yours. 🙂

Do you still have the old phone? Can you move the SIM Card back and confirm that it works again? Or move to any other working phone for a test.

AE_Collector 

@Coco13 wrote:

this didn't help.  I went through all of this with Apple Support.

thanks

Hi @Coco13 sorry to hear that you are still having this issue.  Have you tried 

the solution by oracle @Dunkman on a thread with same problem

Unable to send or receive texts when off wifi

which I had mentioned earlier?

Please keep us posted

RosieR

@Coco13 

Maybe @LurganIeUk or @CalgaryBen can offer some insight as they are iPhone users as is @AE_Collector . Otherwise contacting the moderators may help but really apple support should be more supportive surely they have come across this issue as its likely in your settings somewhere. If it was a carrier issue then all iPhones would be affected.

Edit: What is the exact model of your phone?

Coco13

I went through all of this with Apple Support and they keep telling me that its not the phone its the carrier.  So I am no further ahead.

Coco13

this didn't help.  I went through all of this with Apple Support.

thanks

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Coco13 

On your iPhone,

• go to Settings.
  • Tap Messages.
  • Set iMessage to Off.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Coco13 here is the solution by oracle @Dunkman on a thread with same problem

Unable to send or receive texts when off wifi

Please keep us posted

RosieR

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Coco13 wrote:

Bought a new Iphone and when I took the sim card out of the old Iphone and put in the new Iphone now I can't send text messages without being on Wifi.  I called apple support but they are telling me its a carrier issue.  What do I have to do?   thanks

@Coco13 

*ensure imessages is enabled

*ensure SMS is enabled

*toggle data on when you want to receive or send MMS texts

*try a reboot or toggle into and out of airplane mode

Is the a new to you phone? Did you buy it used? 

To check if your phone number is set to send and receive messages, go to:

Settings > Messages, and tap Send & Receive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Coco13 : Check that SMS is turned on in iMessages.

Need Help? Let's chat.