cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't get MMS : timeout

bucknekked
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switche my plan to the 4G plan, and I've been getting these " can't get MMS : Timeout" messaged randomly. 

I have the same phone a before with the same settings as before, 

is there some new setting I'm supposed to change on my phone or does anybody know why this is happening?

tried looking it up on the community but I can't find anything. 

16 REPLIES 16

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I wonder if it was a problem at the sending side. A text-like notification is sent to the recipient informing you of an MMS heading your way. I wonder if that's stored somewhere at the sending side. Then you let it download and it comes down from the sending side. But if there's a problem then maybe it can't be downloaded. Then suddenly it did perhaps after something at the sending side got fixed. But I don't know the inner workings of MMS sending/receiving.

@bucknekked  So, you didn't even have to open ticket with PM and issue is resolved?  It could be just some network issue in your area

Anyway, important thing is that it's all up and running  🙂

@bucknekked 

maybe the network fix it.

bucknekked

@Timer 

@softech 

sorry, I got busy with work and forgot to reply, 

the problem seems to have just fixed itself Tuesday. I was out getting lunch and 6 or 7 mms from a friend in the states just all decided to come through all at once.

haven't had the same problem since. don't know why this would have happened. 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@bucknekked 

• turn off device take out SIM card and inserted back and turn on,
  • go to your text app clear cache/clear data,
  • updated version of Messages app,
  • if outgoing texts messages from specific contacts
  • Delete the contact and Verify that their phone number is correct,add it again.

• Check if you need to specify a country code (e.g) add  +1 or  in front of area code

• if sending MMS messages Ensure that you have a data mobile connection is on,
  • check your software ios update,

still not working tried this

and rebooting device.

@bucknekked   if you have not open ticket with PM Support yet, open one first and see if they find out anything from their end:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

bucknekked

@softech 

Basically the same thing... 

@bucknekked   you are using Textra as your messaging app?

What happen if you use Google Message or your phone's native one?

bucknekked

@softech 

I just cleared my cash and rebooted my phone and got a different message now..

"Can't get MMS : no mms connection"

but I just sent myself a 5.7mb picture from a voip app and it went through fine... 

Screenshot_20220815-102743.jpg

@bucknekked   Are you on Android ? 

If you have not done so yet, try to clear the app cache of the Messaging app and reboot the phone once after and see if that resolves the issue

bucknekked

@softech 

sorry, I should have specified that I will randomly get these messages on my phone, and when I tap the retry button, nothing will come through. 

so I asked a couple of friends to send me fairly large size pictures ( about 7mb)  and they have come through fine, 

but for some reason I keep getting these " can't get mms : timeout" messages even when I have full service. I don't have a limit or restriction to the mms I can receive and I can send mms fine. 

bucknekked

@softech 

I've had a friend send me a fairly large size picture and it's gone through fine, but I keep getting this random message that says " can't get mms : timeout, tap to retry" and I don't know what that's about. \

I'll hit the retry button and nothing will come through and I'll get the same message again a short while later. 

@bucknekked wrote:

I can send MMS, I've also been able to receive picture and voice messages mms, but for some reason I keep getting this message even when I have full reception... not sure what that's about... 

@bucknekked   so, you meant even it said timeout, you still can receive the media ? or you see the timeout error and you have to try again or try again later time before you can receive the media?

bucknekked

I can send MMS, I've also been able to receive picture and voice messages mms, but for some reason I keep getting this message even when I have full reception... not sure what that's about... 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bucknekked   I assume you have already turned on Mobile Data, as MMS needs Mobile Data enabled.

have you try sending MMS to different person?  

And you tried to send a smaller media , like picture smaller in file size?

Have you try to send mms from another area?  just to rule out it is not a location related issue

Try to Reset Network settings once (but please note this will deleted all your saved Wifi as well, so you have to manually join those Wifi later)

If still fails, examine the APN settings again, or post your APN settings and we can try to help

Device settings for MMS are the same regardless of the type of plan. Can you send MMS? Is it only receiving that's an issue?

Need Help? Let's chat.