cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can picture messaging work in $25 plan in home wifi

Rosachan123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

my plan is $25. I cannot use picture messaging when I turn off the cell phone wifi and using the home wifi. But the text messaging work in the same situation.Does the $25 plan support the picture messaging when I use my home wifi instead of cell phone wifi?

This happened to me for the whole year since I joine Public last year.

second question: I've just finished one year. I didn't find loyalty reward in my payment schedule.

from rosachan123

21 REPLIES 21

Pocketmuffin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't RCS allow for MMS to be sent over wifi? Just a thought I had while reading the first sentence 😅

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous Just tried. Exactly what you said! Still better than doing manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BeachNBeer : It's a nice feature. Next time you send one, the moment you tap send, watch your bars status. You should see LTE come on, send, then off.

@Rosachan123 

MMS attachments (pictures) require cellular data. They won't work across WiFi data.

Although at Public Mobile they are indeed "unlimited". Each MMS attachment will be reported in Self-Serve usage as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.000MB of billable data. You can send or receive as many as you like, to and from any (MMS-capable) country you like at no additional cost. (Although the SMSC/MMSC machinery on the network may lose some messages from time to time, they allocate each subscriber a certain amount of bandwidth and storage for these messages, too many too fast too often will sometimes lose a few.)

Beware that whenever your device's cellular data is active, all the other apps may attempt to consume some of it - updates, syncs, logins, telemetry, background junk, etc. If this is a concern then you might want to disable permissions and updates and syncs and background data on a per-app basis, which can be a little tedious. A bit tedious to dig through so many settings, but mobile platforms don't really give end-users a lot of real control.

The other option is to install a messaging app which supports image transfers across WiFi data, not cellular data. There's many free simple good choices at the app stores, I prefer Signal SMS.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have the below setting on my Samsung. Not sure where it is located. (Had to download picture from internet). I been doing the turn data on then off to send MMS. Forgot the other day and tried sending with data off then a message pooped up. "Click here to send without data". (Something like that) and it brought me to a section with the option below. Turned that setting on now I can send/receive MMS without having to turn data on. 

message-20529566-14422617099939049394.jpg

@Rosachan123 wrote:

cannot find "chat" feature in more setting.

my phone is samsung note 5

@Rosachan123   - maybe try below - 

Can you find this setting in your messages app:

1. From any Home screen, tap Messages.
  2. Tap the MORE or Menu icon.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Chat settings.

What about RCS settings:

To turn RCS On/Off, both VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling features will need to be turned off.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

1. MMS works only when DATA is on. It will not use your data allotment but if has to be enabled in order to send/receive MMS. Do NOT be surprised if OS and some other apps use your data as soon as you turn it on, though.

2. You will receive $1 loyalty reward in year+1month = in 13th month on service (25th, 37th, etc.)

@Rosachan123   I don't think Note 5 has chat feature, unless you are using Google Message

Can you send us your current APN settings?  I think it is something minor in the APN stopping it.

Rosachan123

my airplane mode is always turned off

Rosachan123

cannot find "chat" feature in more setting.

my phone is samsung note 5

@Rosachan123 wrote:

samsung note 5

I’ll leave it up to the androiders to respond. 

@Rosachan123 wrote:

I observed the data using. It did using my data. when I turn on and send pictures

@Rosachan123  - it will show up in your DETAILED USAGE (but rest assured it does not go towards your Data Usage for receiving/sending MMS texts)

But, it should not be added to the usage in your Overview section of your Self Serve account (this would be the turn balance to go by). 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rosachan123    you need to make sure you are not in Airplane mode when you are sending SMS. For MMS, you need to have Mobile Data turned on

For your loyalty reward, when was your 1 year anniversary date? you should see it on your My Account under the reward list

E-MyAcct-AvaiilFund-Status-Reward.png

Rosachan123

I observed the data using. It did using my data. when I turn on and send pictures

@Rosachan123 wrote:

samsung note 5

@Rosachan123  do you have CHAT FEATURES turned on? IF so, I would recommend to turn this OFF.

Disable your Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

Rosachan123

samsung note 5

There are differences if you have an iPhone vs and android. 

What do you have?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Rosachan123 

Your mobile data must be toggled "on" to receive or send MMS/picture texts.  You do not need any data allotment remaining. 

Your loyalty bonus occurs on the cycle following 365 days from the date of Activation, so it actually occurs on the 13th cycle. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Rosachan123 wrote:

my plan is $25. I cannot use picture messaging when I turn off the cell phone wifi and using the home wifi. But the text messaging work in the same situation.Does the $25 plan support the picture messaging when I use my home wifi instead of cell phone wifi?

This happened to me for the whole year since I joine Public last year.

second question: I've just finished one year. I didn't find loyalty reward in my payment schedule.

from rosachan123

@Rosachan123 

Picture Messaging can work with any Public Mobile Plan - JUST enable your MMS and enable DATA in your device settings.  - no home wifi needed !

With respect to wifi, are you using iMessages ? These use wifi.

Your $1 loyalty will show up around the 360th day after you activated ( EDIT, unless you were suspended for more than 60 days within the last year)

Reward will be applied to your 14th renewal of your Plan. What was your activation date?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rosachan123 

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet Wi-Fi is on is not going through the Picture or a video messaging, 

you have to do this to going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video messaging in world-wide,

Need Help? Let's chat.