cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

area code change from Ottawa to Toronto

lunagan83
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi guys, I recently moved from Ottawa to Toronto, how can I change my public mobile area code from 613 to 416 without changing my current plan. any help would be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

lunagan83

thanks a lot for the help. you guys are the best!

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@lunagan83 The one consideration that hasn't been mentioned is long distance calling. While you have Canada-wide long distance (unless you are on a positively ancient plan) and would have no trouble calling Toronto-area businesses, friends, and family from an Ottawa number, the reverse might not be true.

If you end up dealing with businesses and others who do not have Canada-wide long distance, your Ottawa number will be long distance for Toronto callers.

I'd suggest keeping the Ottawa number for now (avoiding having to communicate out a new number) and see how it goes. If you find that you have local people in Toronto complaining that you are long distance for them (and they don't have another option to avoid it), you can always change your number then.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Also, welcome to a City with a better NHL and CFL team. 🙂 

OP said he's moving to Toronto...not Vancouver !  😎

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Personally, I'd just keep the number you have. There are no issues keeping it while moved to a different City within the same province.

Also, welcome to a City with a better NHL and CFL team. 🙂 

Yes, if youchange any part of your number, you would need to update it with your banks, your friends, everyone because this is technically new , so it's best to leave it as is in my opinion.

Very unlikely that you will find the same last seven digits.

lunagan83

so if I choose the one I like this will be my new number? do I need to update this new number with my bank account and other stuff or it will automatically transfer to my new number if the call is made to my old number? thanks a lot!

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Hey!

416 phone numbers probably ran out 15 years ago!! But sign into My Account and check.

Click on Profile.  

My phone number. 

There will be an options to search through the list of number based on province and city. Then you can grab one you like.

I doubt it will work however,  as this is for changing phone number. You just want to change the area code. 

Changing it is not necessary for moving,  but I guess you would like to.

Need Help? Let's chat.