cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone stream video within rural manitoba ?

notachatbotfan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looking to move from telus.  Since paying way to much.  Didn't even know these cheaper providers even existed.

Is it fair to assume that since public mobile is on the telus network.  I will get the same speeds/performance that wouldd normally get last summer?   Am I paying all this extra money per month for "customer service" from a human?

Coverage map doesn't mention anything about speeds.  Obviously 3g speeds are not enough for streaming.  5g (no coverage past selkirk) is way overkill anyway.

Mostly looking for coverage within the Rm of Alexander.  For when going down to the a friends cabin almost everyweekend for the summer months. Last thing want to do is pay 2/3 of the price for roughly same amount of data and find out that the network is saturated and getting 3g speeds only... Then have to go back to telus...

9 REPLIES 9

notachatbotfan

I think that ultimately having two plans at once woudl be too costly.   Likely going to take the plunge, cancel telus and port number over to pm.  Since no telus contract anymore, if for some reason having issues with streaming.  Likely will see if they have any winback promos.

Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for the info @notachatbotfan 

I sent you a private message in the top right corner of the page, take a read as I think you'll like it. 🙂  I got it myself and very happy!

EDIT: If you are rural and need better signal, a buddy out in rural has this and says it's great. Just know the price drops to $189 often. And if it doesn't work for you, at least you have 30 days to return.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077N6822R?th=1

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@notachatbotfan  what I did was sign up for a PM account and tested it before porting in from my old carrier. Since PM is prepaid you can just try it for 30 days and then unsubscribe if its not for you.  A bit of a hassle to switch sims if you just have the one phone, I had the convenience of a retired second phone to try it without initially porting in my number.

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 - I ran 2 speed tests - one on TELUS SIM card and one on PM SIM card at the same time and they equally shared it out. 150 on both & connected to the same tower. Also the Telus SIM was on true 5G speeds aka 2gbps plan.

@notachatbotfan wrote:

Coverage is one thing.  But my concern is that if the network gets congested, will the speeds drop to unuseable levels (aka 3g) ? Or will the performance be the exact same if I was "using" koodo or telus directly?  Since likely will only be using at peak times.  Just need data for streaming a la one month for netflix, then switch to paramount plus or apple or cbc gem, etc for a month and so on.

This is something that salespeople have long said about Public Mobile, but this is likely to sell a more epensive service.  As to whether Telus Mobility or Koodo Mobile cusotmers are given any preferential treatment during times of network congestion is a matter of debate, but I have never seen any reliable informaiton about this, nor have I seen anything verifiable that any such policy even exists.

notachatbotfan

Coverage is one thing.  But my concern is that if the network gets congested, will the speeds drop to unuseable levels (aka 3g) ? Or will the performance be the exact same if I was "using" koodo or telus directly?  Since likely will only be using at peak times.  Just need data for streaming a la one month for netflix, then switch to paramount plus or apple or cbc gem, etc for a month and so on.

notachatbotfan

$70 a month for 40 gigs. Contracted ended a few months ago.   Funny thing was that it was a boxing week special and got double the data!  Cost was $20 more (previously) because paying for the phone over 2 years.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Curious, what are you paying now with Telus? And what do you get?

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@notachatbotfan - Most likely, but I would recommend to use Telus or Koodo's coverage map over Public Mobiles map since it will tell you where 5G 3.5ghz, 5G, 4G LTE, and 4G (3G) HSPA+ is. PM is only 5G and 4G / 3G.

On LTE you can get up to 500mbps (Obviously capped at 250mbps) and on 3G you can achieve up to 10mbps.

But on 5G you can 80% of the time reach max 250mbps and if TELUS is good probably PM is too there.

But if you know, there is no Wi-Fi calling if you use it. Koodo if you would need wifi calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.