cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE 721 on PM

ivwy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I am trying to setup a ZTE WF721 on PM as a cheap landline alternative. 

So I grabbed a used and unlocked ZTE WF721. It came with the 16 digit unlock code.

First off it was doing the all red flashing signal strength lights, so I followed directions from another thread to do the unlock code. It did the long single beep thing, and now it is just showing a solid red signal strength light with no signal bars at all. That appears to be the code for "no service".

I have already a new PM SIM card on the basic plan and activation seemed to have went through fine. However, can't test it on another phone without punching it out to the nano SIM size. (The ZTE721 takes the whole entire SIM punch size).

Any ideas? I saw several threads saying it was possible to use a PM SIM on these devices. The box had a sticker along with the 16 digit unlock code that seemed like it was used on R0g**s and/or F**0. (hope its ok to put those carrier names in there).

Hoping for a bit of guidance.... would really like for this to work and was hoping it would just go "all green signal strength bars" like others had mentioned.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Nice work.

I have personally gone through the throws of unlocking a WF720 that was originally from Rogers Home Phone - and working with a SaskTel Mobility, and Public Mobile SIM afterwards.

As well as a 2nd hand Koodo Home Phone WF721, which after unlocking also successfully tested with Rogers, SaskTel and Public Mobile SIM's. (Well, PM worked prior to unlocking since it's the same network...)

The box probably just needs time and or a power cycle after the unlocking to work properly... and of course they use full size SIM cards, so if you only have a Nano or MicroSIM with no adapter to hold it in exactly the right spot, some trial and error moving it around to just the right spot might be in order....

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ivwy wrote:

After that, I returned the SIM to the ZTE 721 and boom, all 5 green signal bars! Possibly the new SIM card needed to be activated using a regular phone first on the network?  

Anyhow, all is good. Thanks for both the replies.

@ivwy Not likely. No need to activate a sim in a regular phone first. It either works or it doesn't. More likely that the sim wasn't seated properly the first time around or something similar. Welcome to PM.

ivwy

Well, to update I got it working!!!

I removed the SIM and made/received a phone call with another phone to verify account was working.

After that, I returned the SIM to the ZTE 721 and boom, all 5 green signal bars! Possibly the new SIM card needed to be activated using a regular phone first on the network?  

Anyhow, all is good. Thanks for both the replies.

[As mother said: "If at first you don't succeed, try ..".. Luddite]

ivwy

Thanks, will have to try punching out the SIM and trying in a phone to ensure SIM is activated fully I guess..... hopefully won't be too much trouble to put the full SIM back again afterwards. When I call the new SIM number from another phone, it goes directly to voicemail, so seems like its active.

As for the carrier, all I have to go by is a sticker on the box indicating R0g**s and/or F**0. As I mentioned, the unlock code is right on the box, and when I used it it accepted the unlock.

Still, no nice green signal bars or service, lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm the 721 works here. But I have it with Telus so I don't know about unlocking.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can put it back after punching out

It's really an adapter, i do it all the time

And for the phone, who is the original provider?

Just to let you know they have right to keep it locked for 90 days, after that they have to unlock it for you. They will unlock it sooner for $50. If you have something else you can use for couple of months you can save 50

Need Help? Let's chat.