cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi - Anyone bought or using a Xiaomi or chinese brand phone

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm looking into getting a Xiaomi phone, but 'm hearing that they dont work well in Canada and the U.S. Does anyone have one. Do they work with Public Mobile/ Telus.

where are people buying phone online?  I have about $300 to spend and need to make a decision. I have not bouth alot of stuff online. And buying stuff onle from china seems scary AliExpress etc.

20 REPLIES 20

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Bubba wrote:

I'm looking into getting a Xiaomi phone, but 'm hearing that they dont work well in Canada and the U.S. Does anyone have one. Do they work with Public Mobile/ Telus.

where are people buying phone online?  I have about $300 to spend and need to make a decision. I have not bouth alot of stuff online. And buying stuff onle from china seems scary AliExpress etc.

I have read some people using Xiaomi but I do know that @will13am , has been very happy with his Umidigi A5pro and even ordered the F2

Here is the A5Pro  and here is the F1

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the Chat bubble in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba  Amazon has the Motto G7 Plus which has excellent coverage. Costco is selling the Moto One action for ~$300 that is also another good choice. Umidigi F2 is also an excellent choice for coverage, battery and features.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bubba wrote:

@Bubba it depends on the model and sub-model.  Check the specs for the exact model you want to buy and make sure it supports 3G 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies at a minimum.  You need that for talk and for HSPA+ (3G) data.  If you want faster 4G LTE support, look for band 4 at a bare minimum, with bands 2, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17 all being assets in certain geographical areas.  Texting and data can work over either 3G or LTE, voice requires the two 3G frequencies I mentioned.  On some spec sheets they may be called B5 and B2 respectively--not to be confused wtih bands 5 and 2 of LTE which is a spearate thing.  3G might be callsed UMTS, W-CDMA, HSDPA, any of those is fine in 850 + 1900 MHz.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bubba , global models of Xiaomi do work fine in North America.  They do not include the 700Mhz bands but it is not a deal killer.  That said, they do make an entirely different set of sub models that are intended for the Asian Market that will not work.  The risk is not getting the correct model.  I think this is where you see the complaints.  

The Umidigi line don't seem to have different sub models for different parts of the world.  I have a A5-pro that has both FD-LTE and TD-LTE.  THe LTE bands are so well represented that the phone will work on the Freedom network.  

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

The Umidigi line

I had settled to get the Umidigi  F1 and then I saw some reviews. One guy said the screen on his phone cracked easily, some people phones supposedly are brick after a week. I dont know what to believe now.
supposedly the cameras on the Umidigi  brands area all bad quality.

My old LG phone has been dropped and bashed around so much while ( in a case) , yet barely some scratches. 

Thats what I'm looking for somthing that wont fall apart, or the screen cracked  (if you have in in a skin).

These companies seen to be really going after teenagers...who in gods name needs a 20 Megapixel camera on a phone?. Why dont they concentrate on making a good camera and forget about multiple cames, and outrageous megafixel count,,,its rediculous.

I probably sound so old saying this...I'm not. I'm just not into buying a new phone every other year. If I want professional photos...I will use my CAMERA for that, not a cell phone

Guess i'' keep my sights on motorola, Huewei, or something I can get easily on on Amazon.

@Bubba wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The Umidigi line

I had settled to get the Umidigi  F1 and then I saw some reviews. One guy said the screen on his phone cracked easily, some people phones supposedly are brick after a week. I dont know what to believe now.
supposedly the cameras on the Umidigi  brands area all bad quality.

My old LG phone has been dropped and bashed around so much while ( in a case) , yet barely some scratches. 

Thats what I'm looking for somthing that wont fall apart, or the screen cracked  (if you have in in a skin).

these companies seen to be really going after teenagers...who in gods name needs a 20 Megapixel phone on a camera?. Why dont they concentrate on making a good camera and forget about multiple cames and outrageous megafixel count,,,its rediculous.

I probably sound so old saying this...I'm not. I'm just not into buying a new phone every other year. If I want professional photos...I will use my CAMERA for that, not a cell phone

Guess i'' keep my sights on motorola, Huewei, or sothing I can get easily on on Amazon.

@Bubba If longevity is a requirement best to purchase a Android One phone you will be guaranteed monthly security updates and upgrades for 2-3 years. Best Android One phones are made by Nokia and Motorola. Another option work be a Pixel 3a or 3a XL.

You can get a Google Pixel 3a which has a good camera and it receives o/s updates on a frequent basis.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@Bubba If longevity is a requirement best to purchase a Android One phone you will be guaranteed monthly security updates and upgrades for 2-3 years. Best Android One phones are made by Nokia and Motorola. Another option work be a Pixel 3a or 3a XL.

@geopublic I'm thinking @Bubba is looking more for physical/hardware longevity than OS update longevity.

However, as both you and @Triguy noted, the Pixel line may be a good fit for you @Bubba .  They have just finally gone to a second rear-facing camera in the current Pixel 4 series, but prior to that focused on having the best single camera you could get (or among the top 2 or 3 in every category, if not on top).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

One my family members is using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and it is working fine. No problems at all on the PM network. I bought this from a friend who bought it overseas.

Need Help? Let's chat.