cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround to receive SMS when traveling international

danbeauch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm very happy with Public Mobile but I have a problem not being able to receive SMS when traveling internationally... I receive my 2 Factor Authorization (2FA) codes via SMS so I really need to receive them or I can't access important web sites.

I thought about leaving my phone (with my PM SIM card) at home before leaving and using my old phone to travel. I would also choose Messenger as my default SMS app (accessible via WiFi). Has anyone ever tried this and is able to confirm that I would be able to receive my SMS via the Messenger app on the phone I will have with me??

Thanks for your help everyone!

17 REPLIES 17

@softech wrote:

Some systems allow multiple phone numbers for 2FA ...

Some systems allow email address, messaging app signing, or social media login instead. But these days the 2FA-phone-thing is nominally used for tracking movement of covid risk. And as often as not they don't allow VoIP or VoD substitute numbers.

It is what it is. The only realistic solutions if you plan to travel outside of Canada (and USA) are:

- get the 2FA stuff all done in Canada before you leave, if possible

- subscribe to a local service which provides a local number where you're travelling

- subscribe to a travel SIM which provides coverage where you're travelling

- use an "alternate" phone number which belongs to a friend/family - one who might be travelling with you or one who might remain in Canada and communicate with you

- don't bother with the whole 2FA thing if it'll ruin your trip

@whyveeare    not every one allows this

like HSBC has it own, TD has it own.  Then if you use Salesforce, it has it own... the list goes on.. 

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech 

No need to install different authenticators.  Just install one and use it for all accounts.  I personally use Authy.  I use it with MS, Google, etc.

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can confirm that it is possible to forward text messages in iOS.

When I travel outside of Canada, I use Text Message Forwarding from an old iPhone 4s to both my XR and iPad which allows me to receive all iMessages and non-iMessages (Green bubble texts), including bank short codes.  And I can reply to all text messages with either iPhone XR or iPad.  The iPhone 4s must be left in Canada, plugged in, and with my PM SIM in it.

I just have to make sure Text Message Forwarding is enabled on the source phone and iMessage is enabled and using the same Apple ID on all devices.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208386

.. Fongo sms really back in terms or shortcodes..

not sure about TextNow....anyone tried?

I honestly think frequent travelers should move on to using Authenticator app.. Even regular user should move away from SMS as 2FA

However, only thing I don't like is many firms like to introduce their own Authenticator.. I hate installing so many.. Why can't they just settle for MS Auth. or Google Auth?

@esjliv wrote:

@danbeauch wrote:

Hi,

I'm very happy with Public Mobile but I have a problem not being able to receive SMS when traveling internationally... I receive my 2 Factor Authorization (2FA) codes via SMS so I really need to receive them or I can't access important web sites.

I thought about leaving my phone (with my PM SIM card) at home before leaving and using my old phone to travel. I would also choose Messenger as my default SMS app (accessible via WiFi). Has anyone ever tried this and is able to confirm that I would be able to receive my SMS via the Messenger app on the phone I will have with me??

Hello @danbeauch ,

Public Mobile service Plans are only available within Canada.

IF travelling within USA - You are able to use your services in the USA with the purchase of additional ROAMING addons, that are available, see your Self Serve account to do this.

Outside of North America, there is no Public Mobile service.

So, it is normally recommended you use other applications, like TextNow/Fongo/Whatapp when outside of North America; OR, a travel SIM for that particular area you are travelling to.

@esjliv  Fongo has some limitations; especially the free version: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212434926-SMS-short-codes-activations-and-verifications

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mimmo wrote:

@danbeauch  if you have can get an old android phone, keep it plugged in and your pm sim in It. You can then install a sms forwarding app , which can forward sms to another number or email.

For iOS I think it's also possible but you need to google it ie sms forwarding iOS.

Edit this might hello for iOS https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208386

@mimmo  That workaround for iOS is only applicable to iMessages. So, likely no help for 2FA. 😢

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Can you check to see if the services that send you 2FA verification texts support any alternate methods?

If they support phone calls as an option, you could forward your Public Mobile number to a free TextNow or Fongo Mobile number before you leave Canada so that you can continue to received those calls over WiFi or mobile data when out of the country.

Also check if those services support an authentication app like Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator, Authy, etc. These apps register a "temporal one time password" via a QR code that after setup don't need a data connection at all, and just present a 6-digit code that changes every 30 seconds. Sites like PayPal, twitter, facebook, linkedin, etc all support this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : I think they're all bad. Bring your salt. Yes, one can kinda figure that if there are many reviews and the average tends to weight towards better then one might be able to trust the total. I don't read positive reviews. I will have a look at negative reviews.

My worst outcome was ebay where I gave a negative review. They asked ebay to remove it...and they did. That throws any trust of all of it completely out the window. If a vendor can get reviews removed then even the weighting is meaningless.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous @I didn't know google play was as bad as amazon. 

When I look at reviews I tend to look at number of installs/downloads, and I look at both positive and negative reviews. I tend to believe 3-4 star reviews more than 5 Star ones .  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@softech  have not done it in a while so unable to answer, easiest is to search Google Play for sms forward and go off reviews. 

@mimmo : Y'mean those fake, stacked, paid-for reviews? 🙂

mimmo

@softech  have not done it in a while so unable to answer, easiest is to search Google Play for sms forward and go off reviews. 

@danbeauch 

Yes it's possible as supplied by @mimmo  in this thread...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Traveling-to-Australia/m-p/164869/hig...

If you can get verification codes via voicemail you can call forward to your fongo phone number or if you suspend your pm service via lost/stolen before midnight eastern the eve of your renewal your voicemail will remain active.

Some sms forwarding apps you may consider....

Screenshot_20210823-061405~2.png

@mimmo   do you have any good and safe SMS forwarding app to recommend ?

mimmo

@danbeauch  if you have can get an old android phone, keep it plugged in and your pm sim in It. You can then install a sms forwarding app , which can forward sms to another number or email.

For iOS I think it's also possible but you need to google it ie sms forwarding iOS.

Edit this might hello for iOS https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208386

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@danbeauch  yes, your best bet is to set a Fongo or Textnow.  I think Fongo is better as it is easier to keep the phone number.  TextNow is easy to loose the phone number due to inactivity.

Some systems allow multiple phone numbers for 2FA, then you can add the Fongo number as a secondary 2FA number

Also, check if you system allows Authenticator instead of SMS

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@danbeauch wrote:

Hi,

Hello @danbeauch ,

Public Mobile service Plans are only available within Canada.

IF travelling within USA - You are able to use your services in the USA with the purchase of additional ROAMING addons, that are available, see your Self Serve account to do this.

Outside of North America, there is no Public Mobile service.

So, it is normally recommended you use other applications, like TextNow/Fongo/Whatapp when outside of North America; OR, a travel SIM for that particular area you are travelling to.

Need Help? Let's chat.