cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the old Public Rewards Program be phased out?

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I chose not to opt in to the new Public Points program because I don't think it's worth it. 

Will the old Public Rewards program eventually be phased out? I would seriously consider leaving Public Mobile if this were to happen.

7 REPLIES 7

@WoozyPolarBear 

Here is what one of the original posts said:

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers.

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways,

and save the same amount.

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through

Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve

provided some information below.

I occasionally copy the OP into PDF format and save.....and it has been edited since day one. 

========================

It will be 100% phased out, that is inevitable.

I think that statement is fear mongering and some what over exaggerated. 

The question is how long can we wait it out? The thing to realize is, when any company creates a rewards or loyalty program, the program is always best in the beginning when the company tries to get people to sign up, but once those companies get the increase in business, they always dial back and modify the rewards to offer less.

Correct what happens is the company looks at the value in  $'s of uncashed rewards and says "what happens if they are cashed in one day"...yikes not good for business. But that is not the case with the old rewards....as they are cashed every 30 days. The resolution at the board table is....let's dissolve the value or end the program. I don't see this with PM and look at your referrals if you have any.....what is the retention of  "your" referrals? Attrition  will likely dissolve accounts with rewards. 

Just look at Starbucks for example. A few years ago, you could get any food or drink item for free on your 7th visit (with any purchase). Starbucks then changed it to basically make it so you can get a free medium coffee after spending about $200.

Starbucks is a niche market and many can live without them!!! And I agree their points system......is pointless to even waste your time to read what it is.  But do look and Tim Hortons!!! And I don't know about the new one at MacDonalds as I refuse to patronize them....but I imagine they are competing with both Tim Hortons and A&W. A&W are sitting like losers right now with cute commercials while  slapping out rewarmed hamburgers at the drive through and no loyalty program (just the odd coupon in the mail that they don't know how to process when presented). What you see on TV vs what you drive away with is two different things.....and WE all know it. (<==another place that I refuse to patronize). 

There have been many case studies on companies baiting and switching using reward points, etc. Air Miles actually got into legal trouble for doing so a few years back by increasing the number of miles required to book a trip, and heavily limiting how many seats were eligible to be used with Air Miles. Some laws were even created to stop the nerfing of reward points. The whole law about gift cards not allowed to expire came from this topic. 

Another one to NOT compare too......Air Miles......was crooked, is crooked, and there have been many TV documentaries on how a reward would show, then disappear and was all based "against you" while others could get what you wanted. They would also totally rip you off by selling Air Miles to you to go on a trip.....you would wind up using all your Miles that took years to save and then pay for more Miles only to find that you paid more for the trip than if you went a travel agency and booked it yourself. And realize this......any company offering Air Miles usually, competitive wise, has higher prices for the same items. Ie. Compare Rona prices to Home Depot......Home Depot usually (not always) wins. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

The rewards program appears to have been grandfathered.  

If the rewards program is tinkered with, changed, eliminated or if forced to "points" I would imagine there would be a huge lash back or a falling out. 

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It will be 100% phased out, that is inevitable. The question is how long can we wait it out? The thing to realize is, when any company creates a rewards or loyalty program, the program is always best in the beginning when the company tries to get people to sign up, but once those companies get the increase in business, they always dial back and modify the rewards to offer less. Just look at Starbucks for example. A few years ago, you could get any food or drink item for free on your 7th visit (with any purchase). Starbucks then changed it to basically make it so you can get a free medium coffee after spending about $200. There have been many case studies on companies baiting and switching using reward points, etc. Air Miles actually got into legal trouble for doing so a few years back by increasing the number of miles required to book a trip, and heavily limiting how many seats were eligible to be used with Air Miles. Some laws were even created to stop the nerfing of reward points. The whole law about gift cards not allowed to expire came from this topic. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@pharaohpeter They told us no for the exact same reason, and since majority of customers are on the old Rewards program which gives more rewards than the new point system considering you are not interested in gambling away your points for a sweet prize. However, we can predict when way more users are on the Point system, they will try to move people over, but now is definitely not the time. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Lol don't make me feel so bad for missing the train on the old rewards! Hopefully for your sake no, and hopefully for mine it somehow gets better 🤞

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pharaohpeter   pretty sure not for now.  Till the membership in this old reward system come down or another 5 or 10 years, likely PM will convert the rest all to the next system.   But who cares too far away, enjoy what you have now.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Nothing has been announced so no one here knows (or will say). Most of us are in agreement to stay with the rewards. Unfortunately, some customers will have some rewards effectively taken away due to a planned 30% price increase of an old plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.