cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will US data roaming work on 3G plan

MM62
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I was trying to find out if my iphone 13 has been volte enabled before a Vegas trip.  The CSR rep said I would have to upgrade to a 4G plan to have volte.  Currently I have a $15 3G plan. 

My question is can I just buy the US data only plan instead?  Will that work for me in the US?  I'm thinking I can just use a texting app there with data.

4 REPLIES 4

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MM62 

Yes. If you only get a US Roaming data plan or add on you will be able to use the 4G LTE network for data, MMS, iMessage. You will still recieve incoming SMS you just can't send them. If you install a voip provider like textnow you will be able make and recieve calls from that phone number and send/recieve SMS/MMS using the voip phone #.

If you happen to choose a US Roaming plan or add on bundle you will be able to send/recieve calls on T-Mobile's 2G network.  There is service in Las Vegas but it's not everywhere and certain types of construction materials may impede the signal strength. You may also have to choose T-Mobile manually and/or switch manually to the 2G network in your phone settings ( YMMV).

MM62
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Doesn't look like it is working.  If I select LTE in the cellular settings and turn off wifi it does say LTE at the top of my phone but when I make a call it comes up as 3G again.

So I guess my question is will the data only plan work on my phone if the VOLTE is not enabled?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MM62 

Sheesh! Some agents around here.....your iPhone13 should be enabled along with your account  for VoLTE. Easiest to turn wifi off on your phone and make a voice call. If your phone stays on 4G LTE rather than switching to the 3G network then you are good to go....

Yes you can only get a roaming data add on or if your renewal date coincides with your trip then scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $50/40gb Canada/US Roaming plan offers much better value than your plan+15 day US Roaming add ons. You can schedule a change plan on next renewal back to the $15 plan once you renew on the new plan.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MM62 It will work and you don't have to upgrade to 4g plan

Your 3G plan is just 3G Speed plan. You are allowed to use 3G/4G/5G network and just the speed is capped.  Similarly, as long as your have the US roaming add-on, you can access T-Mobile or AT&T 4G or LTE network without problem 

Need Help? Let's chat.