cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will TELUS lower the speed of Public Mobile too?

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just read about how TELUS has started to throttle the data speeds on both it's main brand and Koodo. Does anyone think TELUS will end up reducing the speeds on Public Mobile soon? Apparently, TELUS's 5G network hasn't been handling the 5G traffic well, so they had to resort to cutting speeds, and I've been told that Public uses the TELUS network. I know right now Public has a 3 Mbps speed limit, but perhaps they are going to drop that to 512 Kbps to fall in line with the cuts at the higher tiers. I think I'm even going to consider just dropping data from my cell phone plans and use WiFi if they do this.

29 REPLIES 29

farmbot

I think the opposite scenario will come to fruitation.

Once the hiccups in the 5G network are sorted and the Big 3 shut down 3G network, 4G LTE will be boosted to 10Mbit connection across the third tier Flankers...Public Lucky Chatr

Simply because they can as people transition to 5G the load is less on 4G.

Plus a great marketing ploy/play.

Ryan Reynolds' Mint and other mvno ie. third tier are offering  more speed with the shutdown of 3G in US not less.

That said, I realize we in Canada operate differently than US.

But the trend for the Canadian flanker ie. better data buckets size at least is encouraging.

🤔

Community_QA

@WoozyPolarBear , My friend, you worry  too much.  Even Telus capped the speed, 1Gbps is a lot.  I am ok to wait 2 mins to download my Netflix movie, I dont need it come down in 2 seconds.  I can't even finish watching it in 2 mins anyway

But I like the way you defend you view, post after posts.  you remind me of someone else in this Community here.  Keep argue and argue, others are all wrong and not understand you .  And I admit, i don't understand you 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 

If you are getting 1GBps speeds a customer could use their entire 20GB data plan in 20 seconds. So how is that helpful to anyone but telus's bottom line? So why would they throttle their data speeds?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 

For what? To download a cat video before you can blink? This is not needed by the average customer whatsoever. 5G is a marketing ploy that is actually designed for businesses to use but with the costs of implementation born on the backs of regular customers. I see you have bought into the hype.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Lol....I completely read that wrong! Who cares if they limit data speeds to 250mbps or 1GBps? I highly doubt customers get that speed anyways. Unthrottled 4G LTE data speeds at pm promise up to 242mbps ( I if I recall correctly) but it rarely goes above 60mbps. 

This is 2022, by now we should be getting 10-25 TB/s (yes terabytes, not bits) on cell networks.

@WoozyPolarBear   then why you are still stuck here with 3Mpbs?

Your internet at home not even 10 TB yet.  

Hey.. your posts in the beginning was based on incorrect info, possibly a mis-read.  So, in short.  No worry.  We are still here with 3Mpbs, price the same , speed the same.  Tomorrow is as nice as today  🙂

WoozyPolarBear

@darlicious wrote:

Lol....I completely read that wrong! Who cares if they limit data speeds to 250mbps or 1GBps? I highly doubt customers get that speed anyways. Unthrottled 4G LTE data speeds at pm promise up to 242mbps ( I if I recall correctly) but it rarely goes above 60mbps. 

This is 2022, by now we should be getting 10-25 TB/s (yes terabytes, not bits) on cell networks.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I think you are also mistaken. These speed caps are NOT for going over your data allotment, these speed CAPS are the maximum speeds period. Going over the speed caps are throttled much further.

Hi @WoozyPolarBear   Their cap speed within the allotment is still 1Gbps, what's wrong/?

1 Gbps today...then Telus tries to walk across the line even more, and reduces it to 500 Mbps....than a few more months and reduce it even more. Next they will have pricing tiers not just for data allotment, but speed as well. Very dangerous precedent is being set. And 1 Gbps isn't all that fast either. 

HI @WoozyPolarBear   

I think the other way

1 Gbps today...then Telus tries to walk across the line even more, and increases it to 2Gbps....than a few more months and increase   Next they will have pricing decrease..

🙂

WoozyPolarBear

These speed throttles may also be illegal, as another article found on mobilesyrup has said the CRTC is investigating Telus for breaching the telecommunications act with this move.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

WoozyPolarBear

@hTideGnow wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

Hi @WoozyPolarBear   read the unit

I see it's Gpbs, not Mbps, but that's still a terrible precedent none the less. I think it's time to activate a T-mobile or AT&T Sim card again as I did in the mid 2010's.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   What "unlimited" speed you got from AT&T or T-Mobile?

I see this:

According to AT&T, 4G users can expect download speeds of 14–61 Mbps and upload speeds of 3–14 Mbps on average while using its wireless network.

AT&T is also just $300 a year, not $90/month. And this was 7 years ago, before 5G.

WoozyPolarBear

@hTideGnow wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I think you are also mistaken. These speed caps are NOT for going over your data allotment, these speed CAPS are the maximum speeds period. Going over the speed caps are throttled much further.

Hi @WoozyPolarBear   Their cap speed within the allotment is still 1Gbps, what's wrong/?

1 Gbps today...then Telus tries to walk across the line even more, and reduces it to 500 Mbps....than a few more months and reduce it even more. Next they will have pricing tiers not just for data allotment, but speed as well. Very dangerous precedent is being set. And 1 Gbps isn't all that fast either. 

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

I see it's Gpbs, not Mbps, but that's still a terrible precedent none the less. I think it's time to activate a T-mobile or AT&T Sim card again as I did in the mid 2010's.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   What "unlimited" speed you got from AT&T or T-Mobile?

I see this:

According to AT&T, 4G users can expect download speeds of 14–61 Mbps and upload speeds of 3–14 Mbps on average while using its wireless network.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

WoozyPolarBear

@softech wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

I see it's Gpbs, not Mbps, but that's still a terrible precedent none the less.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

@WoozyPolarBear   I don't see any problem with the speed cap.  1Gbps, that's  a lot.  1Gbps is 450GB in an hour.  You can used up ALL your data allotment in less than an hour.  It is a protection to customers as well

there is nothing to be scared off.  And your posts earlier about Telus speed was incorrect info.

1 Gbps (yes giga) isn't that fast for 2022. People used to say 56k modems where fast once upon a time. In Asia, 1 Gbps is incredibly slow.

WoozyPolarBear

@darlicious wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear 

All providers that offer "unlimited" data throttle the over the plan data cap speed. So they have lowered from 512kbps for all but the highest priced paying customers. Thats not surprising given the high data plan amounts they ave been offering between $35 and $50per month and the growth if their subscribership in the last shareholders annual report. One of the big three tests the waters and the others follow suit. Only Sasktel bucks the trend and offers 2gbps throttled data.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

@WoozyPolarBear   I don't see any problem with the speed cap.  1Gbps, that's  a lot.  1Gbps is 450GB in an hour.  You can used up ALL your data allotment in less than an hour.  It is a protection to customers as well

there is nothing to be scared off.  And your posts earlier about Telus speed was incorrect info.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 

All providers that offer "unlimited" data throttle the over the plan data cap speed. So they have lowered from 512kbps for all but the highest priced paying customers. Thats not surprising given the high data plan amounts they ave been offering between $35 and $50per month and the growth if their subscribership in the last shareholders annual report. One of the big three tests the waters and the others follow suit. Only Sasktel bucks the trend and offers 2gbps throttled data.

WoozyPolarBear

@hTideGnow wrote:

#fakenews

#fakenews

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@softech wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@softech wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear   I doubt it,  can't get lower than 3Mpbs.  I definitely don't see it cutting down to 512kbps.  Unless you also see other Tier 3 providers doing that too

TELUS on it's most expensive plan has cut speeds down to 1 Mbps I was reading. It's cheaper plans are down to 250 Kbps.

@WoozyPolarBear   Maybe you read it wrong..

Telus: 250Mbps and 1Gbps, Koodo: 100Mbps,  PM stays with 3Mbps

Telus adds speed caps of 250Mbps and 1Gbps to its mobile plans (mobilesyrup.com)

Koodo adds 100Mbps data speed cap to its 4G plans (mobilesyrup.com)

Maybe I was reading that wrong...but it's still a crooked move to cap speeds on plans that expensive.

only CAP if users used over the plan allotment, but basically is unlimited usage..  

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@softech wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear   I doubt it,  can't get lower than 3Mpbs.  I definitely don't see it cutting down to 512kbps.  Unless you also see other Tier 3 providers doing that too

TELUS on it's most expensive plan has cut speeds down to 1 Mbps I was reading. It's cheaper plans are down to 250 Kbps.

This isn't correct.  The speeds are 1Gbps and 250Mbps.  That's much much faster.  I don't see a link between those speeds and Public Mobile's 3g plan speeds that are about 100 times slower.

WoozyPolarBear

@softech wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@softech wrote:

Telus adds speed caps of 250Mbps and 1Gbps to its mobile plans (mobilesyrup.com)

Maybe I was reading that wrong...but it's still a crooked move to cap speeds on plans that expensive. I honestly don't think TELUS will cut their other brands and not eventually do the same at Public. I can see 512 Kbps speed caps on their way here, especially since they seem to be implying that Public Mobile is bleeding them money. That's also the reason they have eliminated the rewards that Public used to offer.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear 

Since the 5G network is completely different from the 4G LTE network there is no reason for telus to change the throttle of their 4G LTE network users whether full speed or throttled to 3mbps.

The main TELUS brand has been cutting 4G LTE speeds on their plans too. Their 4G LTE plans have price increased from $80/month to $85/month for 25 GB...BUT also added throttled speeds of 250 Kbps.

@WoozyPolarBear  read carefully, don't scare yourself too much:

• ‘Unlimited 20 5G’ – $80/mo 20GB (250Mbps speed cap)
  • ‘Unlimited 40 5G+’ – $90/mo 40GB (1Gbps speed cap)
  • Unlimited 50 5G+’ – $100/mo 50GB and Canada-U.S. talk and text (1Gbps speed cap)

These speed caps apply to customers’ data buckets — once you go over that allotment, Telus will still throttle speeds to a maximum of up to 512Kbps as before.

WoozyPolarBear

@darlicious wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear 

Since the 5G network is completely different from the 4G LTE network there is no reason for telus to change the throttle of their 4G LTE network users whether full speed or throttled to 3mbps.

The main TELUS brand has been cutting 4G LTE speeds on their plans too. Their 4G LTE plans have price increased from $80/month to $85/month for 25 GB...BUT also added throttled speeds of 250 Kbps.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@softech wrote:

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 

This is reason for the lower tier price bracket. All big 3 does the same. Bell for Lucky and Roger for Chatr.

WoozyPolarBear

@softech wrote:

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.