cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be charge LD? Toronto calling Vancouver PM user?

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My sister lives in Toronto and if she calls me in Vancouver (my home base)..

1. will  the call go through if I do not have LD add on?

2. will I be charge minutes if I have LD add on?

Can't find the answers, appreciate your response. 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

The OP isn't the person making the call.  He is receiving the phone calls from his sister in Toronto.  I do not believe that he is wondering how his sister (who is making the call), but rather how he will be billed and if he needs a long distance add-on for receiving this call.

The simple answer is this:  It never matters for a Public Mobile customer receiving a call where the other person calls from.  For you to receive, this is not long distance. 

@popping wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Sarlye wrote:

The chart says for Province Wide - if answering a call from ourside the province "uses plan minutes" - so if its unlimited Province Wide, the call will go through from Toronto??

Also, can find answer from the following.. which is similar to what I am asking.

mimmo_L

Another great article @Alan_K.

Can you clarify one thing about provincial calling. I think the text line address it, but to be clear provincial calling only affects outgoing calls therefore: someone on a provincial plan can receive calls no matter what province they are in.   I ask because this is different from the previous policy.

This is from personal experience, I live in BC, when at home I can receive calls from anywhere. When I traveled to Ottawa I was still able to receive all calls.  I could call Ontario numbers and not use long distance minutes but to call back home to BC I would use my long distance add-on minutes.

@ShawnC13

From your experience, your PM province wide calling moves form BC to ON when you are traveling in ON.  I know Koodo and Telus do not work that way. I like to see the call history if it is still available during the period when you were traveling to Ottawa.

My PM plan has Canada Wide minutes and I am still new to PM.  Therefore, I cannot agree or disagree with your experience.

Yes if you have Provincial Wide calling no matter what Province you are in you can call within that Province without a LD addon (you will need to dial 1 in front of the number still).  I do not have the call history this was over a year ago the last time I travelled back there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Late to the discussion, but I believe since the new knowledge base article was posted it's now official that all incoming calls are free no matter what plan you are and what province you are in. (Except for the $10 50 min plan, that uses minutes). Long distance add-on minutes are used in provincial plans only when you call another province.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Sarlye wrote:

The chart says for Province Wide - if answering a call from ourside the province "uses plan minutes" - so if its unlimited Province Wide, the call will go through from Toronto??

Also, can find answer from the following.. which is similar to what I am asking.

mimmo_L

Can you clarify one thing about provincial calling. I think the text line address it, but to be clear provincial calling only affects outgoing calls therefore: someone on a provincial plan can receive calls no matter what province they are in.   I ask because this is different from the previous policy.

This is from personal experience, I live in BC, when at home I can receive calls from anywhere. When I traveled to Ottawa I was still able to receive all calls.  I could call Ontario numbers and not use long distance minutes but to call back home to BC I would use my long distance add-on minutes.

Hi @Sarlye

It would help if you indicated what plans both you and your sister have and we are assuming both are with PM. But lets assume both of you are on a ProvWide plan which is the most restrictive. 

The official line with PM, once you leave your home province you cannot receive calls unless you have a LD add-on. [Edit: incorrect now as @mimmo pointed out below, this has been updated]  As @ShawnC13 has noted above, this restriction does not seem to be in effect as many have reported, including me, that you can receive calls on a ProvWide plan anywhere in Canada from any number in the world that can call you.

Where you do need a LD add-on occurs when you call another phone registered to another province that you are not physically in when you make that call, regardless of your home base province. 

Hope this helps. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Sarlye try using Hangouts or WhatsApp via Wifi is free

@Sarlye wrote:

First off, your plan and add-ons make no difference for you to receive a call from your sister if she is the one who is calling you.  She would be the one who might need a long distance package.

If your sister has a Canada-wide calling plan,   she can call you, no long distance add-on required.

If your sister has a provincial calling plan, she will only be able to call if you if she currently travelling while inside B.C.  If at the moment she tries to call you, she isn't inside B.C., the call will not work unless she first subscribes to a long distance add on. 

popping

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Sarlye wrote:

mimmo_L

@ShawnC13

From your experience, your PM province wide calling moves form BC to ON when you are traveling in ON.  I know Koodo and Telus do not work that way. I like to see the call history if it is still available during the period when you were traveling to Ottawa.

My PM plan has Canada Wide minutes and I am still new to PM.  Therefore, I cannot agree or disagree with your experience.

@Sarlye wrote:

mimmo_L

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping

@Sarlye wrote:

In Canada, the caller pay the long distant charge.  You will not be charged for long distance if you pickup the call from your sister in Toronto.

If your sister's phone plan does not include long distance, when she call you in Vancouver from Toronto, she will be paying the long distance charge.

Similarly, it your PM plan does not include long distance, when you call from Vancouver to your sistem in Toronto, you will be paying the long distance charge.

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

mimmo_L

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Sarlye wrote:

Yes the call will go through and no you won't be charged minutes if you have the LD addon.  You can receive calls from anywhere in Canada while you are located anywhere in Canada.

You can read more here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

Need Help? Let's chat.