cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 4G give me better cell reception

kanewt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently on the 3G plan, and get good reception everywhere in town except in my house.  People say I am dropping out all the time when on a call from my house.  I have to stand in the street to have a steady voice call.

I have tried switching the phone to both LTE and 3G and it makes no difference.  Will moving up to a 4G plan likely help with this?  Do any of the plans support wifi calling or VoLTE?  Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

@kanewt wrote:

I am currently on the 3G plan, and get good reception everywhere in town except in my house.  People say I am dropping out all the time when on a call from my house.  I have to stand in the street to have a steady voice call.

I have tried switching the phone to both LTE and 3G and it makes no difference.  Will moving up to a 4G plan likely help with this?  Do any of the plans support wifi calling or VoLTE?  Any suggestions? 

In theory, the LTE network could provide slightly better reception in some cases. This is because there are some cell sites/towers that only have LTE.  Also, the 700MHz range availiable for LTE is lower (signal which could travel further) than the lowest 850MHz range of frenquencies used for HSPA.  None of this helps for phone calls because of the previous mentioned VoLTE. 

This part is more technical, but there's also the issue of something called cell breathing.  When a cell site is near/at capacity, the coverage area shrinks.  This is likely to happen with LTE because of the higher capacity to begin with.

My above comments are about the network itself. As others have stated, the actual type of plan as labeled by Public Mobile (3g vs 4g) makes no difference for reception.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@kanewt hi no volte or wifi calling as for upgrading to a 4g plan I don't think you would see a difference in reception,only higher data speeds 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You will get faster data speed not better reception nor voice quality.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kanewt , no it will not.  The traffic shaping (data rate throttling) is change.  That is all.  

Need Help? Let's chat.