cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi and data usage.

Luce
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $15 dollar plan. Supposed to be unlimited text and picture messaging. If I send a picture I use data. If I turn off Mobile Data I can't send the picture. what is to be done?

25 REPLIES 25

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Dunkman wrote:

@Luce 

Supposedly, MMS (picture) texts do need data to be turned on.  But, it will not use use data.  It will keep track in your usage history, but will not deduct.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Does-MMS-texting-count-against-data-all...

Good to know!

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, in order to use mms, data usage needs to be on and it will not reduced again the data count.

I decided to come to PM since they offer unlimited mms and it is not the same with other competitors.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Luce wrote:

I have the $15 dollar plan. Supposed to be unlimited text and picture messaging. If I send a picture I use data. If I turn off Mobile Data I can't send the picture. what is to be done?

@Luce  MMS does not use data but nreds data to be turned on to work.

So when you are at home and using WiFi you still need to keep data on to be able to send MMS. That's not an issue because you will not be using data when you are on Wifi.

Daphne1

@Luce wrote:

You can opt to turn Mobile Data ON only when are sending or receiving picture messages (MMS). With Public Mobile, the Data used for MMS does not count towards your plan limit.

You can also restrict Mobile Data usage via your phone settings so that the 250MB is conserved for when you will need it.

@Anonymous well that I didn't know thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RossN wrote:

@Luce  i have noticed the 5 mb also as @Anonymous  says and yes it does go away I am a very lite data user and I noticed that  happen every time

Another way to clear it is to flip in/out of airplane mode. Or restart of course.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Luce  i have noticed the 5 mb also as @Anonymous  says and yes it does go away I am a very lite data user and I noticed that  happen every time I thought I was getting ripped off at first Smiley LOL

Luce

@RossN wrote:

@Luce it shows up usage but it is not deducted 

Thanks much. I'll try again.

Luce

Thanks... that may be whats happening then. I will test again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luce wrote:

Thanks, but it does show up as using data I tested it sending pictures.

The mere act of turning on data will count exactly 5.293mb of data. The MMS won't add to that counter. Then when you turn off data, eventually that 5.293mb will drop down to a proper usage count.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Luce it shows up usage but it is not deducted 

Luce

Thanks, but it does show up as using data I tested it sending pictures.

@Anonymous  is correct with iphone you can send pics or videos on wifi with data off but android you must have your data on for mms that being said it is not deducted from your data usage but other things on your phone may be using data at the same time for other applications

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luce wrote:

Yes, and then my pictures won't go. I get a message that they will go as soon as Mobile Data is turned on.

Exactly correct.

Set all your apps and OS to only do updates when on wifi. Then when you turn on data, all that stuff won't try to download. Little things might still use some data but the MMS won't.

Edit: my comment about an iphone was directed to missorange.

It's always helpful to know who you're replying to. Either the black quote button or the user name @ tag or even just the username.

Luce

No, Android.

Luce

Yes, and then my pictures won't go. I get a message that they will go as soon as Mobile Data is turned on.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@LuceTo double check on data usage you can always log into selfserve and click on View Usage. Send an MMS and verify how much data and cost it is, it should be $0.00

Since Public is a prepaid service.. you won't get overages.. your data service just stops.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

I don't quite understand, when I send pictures, I did not turn on my data as the plan including picture message.  so no need to turn on data,  but I am on WiFi mode. 

Are you using an iphone? Murky waters for me but I think iMessage will do things differently.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you turn off data then you are not using any data just your wi-fi connection.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't quite understand, when I send pictures, I did not turn on my data as the plan including picture message.  so no need to turn on data,  but I am on WiFi mode. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luce wrote:

Thanks... but then I am using data, correct?

Your phone *may* on its own but the actual MMS won't count any data usage.

Luce

Thanks... but then I am using data, correct?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could send it as an email attachment when you’re using wi-fi.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Luce 

Supposedly, MMS (picture) texts do need data to be turned on.  But, it will not use use data.  It will keep track in your usage history, but will not deduct.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Does-MMS-texting-count-against-data-all...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luce wrote:

Nothing. That's how it works. Cell data needs to be on for picture messaging.

Need Help? Let's chat.