cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi texts and calls

BCaverhill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There is no cell service at my place in the Gulf Islands.  I do have internet.  How can I get calls and texts online?

12 REPLIES 12

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BCaverhill 

I'm glad my suggestion was helpful. And thanks to you I finally got my second solution. Looks like I'm good for the year.

BCaverhill

That is the best option yet! Thank you!

BCaverhill

Thats what I do now but having 2 numbers confuses people and I miss calls and texts on my cell until I leave my acreage and get service.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BCaverhill 

Download the TextNow app and choose a Canadian number. Then drive to where you have cell phone service (3G). Call forward your public mobile phone number for unreachable to your new TextNow number. Now when someone calls instead of it going to voicemail it will transfer the caller to your TextNow number. And you can use your text now number to call out.

Edit:

As long as you have WiFi at home.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Voip.ms would be perfect for this. 

Get a voip number. Call forward your PM number to your voip number. 

You can also call out on your voip number and make the caller ID your PM number. 

So no one needs to know your voip number. 

Voip is over the Internet. 

There are a couple of options. 

An app on phone 

An ATA box Ethernet to modem and ATA box to a hand set. 

ATA box is portable and can be used at another location......no settings to change. 

There is a monthly charge for a number but in this case you could cancel number and get a new one for next visit. 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@BCaverhill 

No Towers for telus or bell to getting service. check out >  Canadian Cellular Towers Map

if you like to Download the TextNow App

and use it by Wi-Fi and you will getting free number from that app and call & SMS, free.

Then no. As I mentioned, use a voip app across your internet service.

BCaverhill

There is no cell service at my acreage.  Have to drive about 2 k to get to service.  THere are other spots on the island with no service.

haha. typo.. 

lol.. thanks. .

have been typing connecting to T-Mobile too much.. nono. .i already saying i don't want OP to connect to US.. LoL

@softech- Why would he want to connect to T-Mobile when he likely doesn't have a roaming add-on? Did you possibly mean Public?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BCaverhill   you had service on Guld Islands before?

It should have coverage according to the coverage map

Try to reboot the phone once

Try to manually connect to T-Mobile Public Mobile instead of leave it with Automatic (just in case your phone trying to connect to the stronger US signal)  

Try to reseat the sim card with a reboot

And you have another phone to test?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You would have to use a voip app. Internet from another service? Or internet from Public on your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.