cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling workaround options

wyatt22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I've had a PM number for several years and it's been great, but the 1 feature that I really miss is WiFi calling. My workday is outside of cell service (but has good WiFi), and I would like to be able to receive calls while connected to WiFi at work.

I've tried having calls forwarded to a Fongo number, but it is largely unreliable. I've done a bit of reading about voip.ms and possibly this could be an option?

Does anyone have a decent WiFi workaround to be able to receive an incoming call over WiFi if someone calls my Public Mobile number? I really don't care about making outgoing as much.

Thanks for any ideas!

18 REPLIES 18

@wyatt22  I use unconditional call forwarding to Fongo on my phone. Since Fongo works on cellular data as well as wifi I can answer any call, if desired, anywhere. In addition, all voicemail is now sent to me by email, which I find very useful when travelling outside Canada. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

wyatt22

Thanks for all your helpful info. This is now making sense as to why the conditional forwards don't work like they use to.  I was blaming Fongo, lol. I might try Tasker to see if I can do an automated unconditional forward/un-forward routine to Fongo. It would at least get back some call forwarding functionality over WiFi.

@wyatt22 it is uncommon for providers to start slow with VoLTE and keep a shortlist in the beginning. Let's hope PM will add more phones to the list

Yeah, me neither. They are being overly stupidly restrictive on which devices they'll allow volte on. I think they're doing something non-standard/proprietary to take some control back from customers. My phone works perfectly fine on volte with another provider. Yours probably would too. But here we are with a service that has limited their advertised included services to select devices. The rest of us are just having to suffer having a service that isn't all working.

Adding - @wyatt22 - um, thanks, but this isn't a solution to your thread. It's a comment as part of the conversation.

wyatt22

Hi again, nope...... not registered. I have went through a checklist of ways to try and get IMS registered, but no luck. This is the 3rd phone on the same SIM card since getting it in 2018..... maybe something isn't right after swapping out phones.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I wish native WiFi calling was supported with PM - the one remaining feature that would be great to have in rural areas with poor/no coverage. 

Go into settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look for any mention of IMS and if it says registered. If it is then you have volte. If you do then support should be able to fix the conditionals.

I have Tasker. There's a thing called Call Divert. Maybe that would do it. I still like the speed dial option though.

wyatt22

Thanks, if I can figure out a reliable and automated forward/un-forward solution then I can try messing with Fongo, TextNow, etc to see which one works the best.

wyatt22

Hmmm.... interesting! I have a Samsung S21.

I've been messing around just now trying to see if I can assign a Mode/Routine to automate this. It can automatically start a Mode and perform a bunch of settings when arriving at my work address for example. I just can't find a setting yet to automate doing an unconditional forward/un-forward.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

People on these forums seem to love TextNow, but my experience with it was terrible. Incoming calls simply wouldn't connect for 30 seconds, and then even if it did we couldn't hear each other. Outgoing calls not much better. I couldn't even use it for a 60 second call to book a service appointment. And that was on a 300/10 home wifi with great wifi signal. 

I've also used Fongo, but agree the quality isn't great there either (but I find it better than TextNow).

But maybe it's just me, because people seem to love TextNow, like I said. 

What make and model phone?

Yes, even when in cell range. So you'd have to be on it. You could set up speed dials to do the forwarding and unforwarding using the dial codes.

wyatt22

Thanks, that's probably it. There is no volte option in the settings on my phone.  I was using this method: Not Reachable- Redirects incoming calls when your phone is unable to take a call Dial '62' + ten-digit phone number + '#' + SEND Dial '#62#

So if I do the main call forwarding, ALL my calls would be forwarded to Fongo even while in cell range? Either that or constantly updating the call forwarding on/off? 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

voip.ms is pretty good, but you would need a reliable SIP client on your phone. It will also drain your battery a lot more.

Unless you have volte and got the call forwarding problem manually fixed by support, those conditional call forwarding options are broken. Just do the main call forwarding all. Are you dialing codes or setting the options in the dialer?

wyatt22

Perhaps it is the PM call forwarding that I don't have set properly. What would be the best choice for call forwarding to forward calls to Fongo when cellular=off and wifi=on? Busy/Not Reachable/No Reply?  Thanks.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@wyatt22 

if you have a robust wifi signal, consider downloading free voip app like TextNow. Free texting and calling to most any US or Cdn number.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If a voip app like Fongo "is largely unreliable" I'm not sure what else would be better. Another popular voip app around here is TextNow. Maybe go in to airplane mode when you think cell is bad to let the wifi be the only thing receiving.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@wyatt22  You can download text now or or what’s app 

Need Help? Let's chat.