cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not LTE

Naik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Guys,

I love this service and am a customer for more than year and half. Mo complains. However, is there any plan to get the service converted into LTE service? Or why not LTE offered by PM?

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DOA wrote:

Funny thing is, when I set the 'preferred network type' in my Android's settings to 4G LTE, I get download speeds of 3 Mbps and when I set 'preferred' to 3G, I get 12 Mbps.

It's an enigma.

@DOA yes, this is a known thing in the community.  For whatever reason, Public Mobile does not apply the throttling to the HSPA+ network, only to LTE.  Sticking to LTE will get you lower latency but slower throughput, with the opposite using real 3G.  

This has been in place since PM launched the "3G" speed data plans a couple of years ago.  We don't know if it was a conscious choice, a bug, or it just got missed.  They may "fix" the issue at some point, but if the past is an indication of the future, you're free to enjoy unthrottled HSPA+ if you prefer.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

drcoolj

@DOA wrote:

Funny thing is, when I set the 'preferred network type' in my Android's settings to 4G LTE, I get download speeds of 3 Mbps and when I set 'preferred' to 3G, I get 12 Mbps.

It's an enigma.

I will be int the city again tomorow and will play with this a bit more.

Yes technoligy is an enigma within it self.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's an enigma.

drcoolj

It was my first day using PM, so I was checking it out. Checking my email, FB, all the stuff I did on rogers to see how it worked. It worked great. It seems I will need to test it more (without the speed test) in a few days once its throttled.

Thanks for the info

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@drcoolj wrote:

I use data once or twice a month. Doesn't matter much to me.

If you don't use data much, you might not have much so don't waste it.  The speed might not matter much to you but don't give them a reason to fix the speed. It might still fix itself soon. If it stays, enjoy.

@drcoolj wrote:

If you don't use data much, you might not have much so don't waste it.  The speed might not matter much to you but don't give them a reason to fix the speed. It might still fix itself soon. If it stays, enjoy.

drcoolj

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@drcoolj wrote:

Ok so that would explain using 400MB in a short time. Good to know. But im still confused with how fast the speed is.

You're getting better than you're paying for. I wouldn't advertize it.

drcoolj

Good to know. Thanks

@drcoolj wrote:

Ok so that would explain using 400MB in a short time. Good to know. But im still confused with how fast the speed is.

You're getting better than you're paying for. I wouldn't advertize it.

Chanah

For some reason it takes a few days for PM to throttle your data after you get an account. I don't know why.

drcoolj

@drcoolj wrote:

Hi im new, day 3 to PM and I was also confused that I was on LTE. I understand now reading the posts. So I did a speed test and it was WAY faster then 3Mbps. It was 88Mbps.(see pic below) So what does that mean? This was in Winninpeg PM LTE.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.26.25 AM.jpg

Which plan are you on?  I would wouldn't be continuing to run tests such as that. There's a possibility that you may have just used a good chunk of your data, depending on how much is included in your plan.  I've used more than 500MB in a single one of these types of bandwidth tests before.

drcoolj

Hi im new, day 3 to PM and I was also confused that I was on LTE. I understand now reading the posts. So I did a speed test and it was WAY faster then 3Mbps. It was 88Mbps.(see pic below) So what does that mean? This was in Winninpeg PM LTE.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.26.25 AM.jpg

@Aljackson75 wrote:

My plan says it's up to 3G speeds. But I always seem to be on LTE. I've had no issues with the speed. 

Unless there is no LTE signal (or weak LTE signal), your phone will likely stay on LTE most of the time until you're making or receiving a phone call.

pmmobile

@Aljackson75  It's essentially LTE at 3G speeds and the throttling may not be perfect, which results in faster speeds. The response time between sending a request and fulfilling it (latency) is usually more important for most apps and browsing

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dlysh113 wrote:

It's probably what keeps PM so low and still work underground on trains and warehouses such as Costco. 

@Dlysh113 uhm, no.  Public Mobile still uses the LTE network, but throttled to "3G-like" speeds of 3Mbps. Throttling the speed has no effect on whether or not the service works undergroun on trains and warehouses such as Costco.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Aljackson75
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan says it's up to 3G speeds. But I always seem to be on LTE. I've had no issues with the speed. 

Dlysh113

It's probably what keeps PM so low and still work underground on trains and warehouses such as Costco. 

PM fits a niche in parent company TELUS' offerings. To open up 4G LTE at bargain basement prices would canibalize the rest of the company's offerings. They would be very popular for 24 hours until the other guys had to match them then business would continue with less and less money available to expand and improve the network.

AE_Collector

Naik

Thank you, That makes sence. I am not complaining, jut wondering.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM has LTE but is is throttled to 3G.  For most internet use there is not much of a difference.  If plan on streaming 4K video or high quality music streams then there maybe a difference.  It is cost savings measure for lower plan costs.

smiley3

If you have a text and call only plan, then add-on data you buy will default to 4GLTE.  All other plans are 3G, and add-on data will default to 3G.

Thanks. 

@pmmobile wrote:

@gblackma  The averge user browsing, searching, Google maps, messaging, and even watching videos on their phone will not notice much of a difference. The resolution of videos may change from 1080p to 720p or 480p, but that still is not a noticable difference on a small cell phone screen. You might actually end using less data in this scenario without a significant difference in experience

pmmobile

@gblackma  The averge user browsing, searching, Google maps, messaging, and even watching videos on their phone will not notice much of a difference. The resolution of videos may change from 1080p to 720p or 480p, but that still is not a noticable difference on a small cell phone screen. You might actually end using less data in this scenario without a significant difference in experience

When walking around using your data for normal everyday purposes. Ie not downloading a 20 gig game. Do you really notice the difference?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This service does serve up LTE data, it's throttled.  Slim chance the throttle will go away as the competition is doing the same. 

@Naik I'm guessing the cost of providing the 4G service has forced Public Mobile to remove it as an option. Also, other Telus Brand services already offer it at a higher price. Whether you believe Telus wants to move everyone up the food chain to Koodo or Telus or not, it does make sense that if you want to create a market for all three tiers, the bottom tier can't offer everything at a lower price.

I don't believe most users need 4G, or will see a great benefit. So I'll take the lower price and let others migrate and pay more.

By the way, one of my sons is on a 4G plan and pays an extra $17 and gets 4GB of LTE data, while my other son saves $17 and gets 5 on 3G. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

If you want lots of data Public Mobile isn't the right place.

Well that depends, some times they can be generous.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you want lots of data Public Mobile isn't the right place.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

It's offered as data only at $30 for 1 gigabyte. 

@Naik wrote:

Hello Guys,

I love this service and am a customer for more than year and half. Mo complains. However, is there any plan to get the service converted into LTE service? Or why not LTE offered by PM?

Thanks

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Naik wrote:

Hello Guys,

Thanks

@Naik They have and use LTE network, but the speed is limited to 3G. Previously, there were LTE plans, but PM closed them to save on cost. That is why PM is cheaper than other providers.

Need Help? Let's chat.