cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my card charged 28 dollars on autopay for a plan that costs 25?

bunnykin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why is my card charged 28 dollars on autopay for a plan that costs 25? Is it because the tax wasn't listed?  I can't see the taxbreakdown anywhere inside my own account.

23 REPLIES 23

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

That's ok even pm tells new customers they get the $2 auto pay reward. You can be forgiven....pm not so much.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

@srlawren I think @bunnykin is new to PM this year and likely on the new rewards system, so, no $2 Autopay discount   😞

EDIT: and @darlicious 

Sorry, I completely spaced on it.

@softech good call out, I completely spaced on PM changing to the new reward system.  I'll revise my reply, thanks.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

Good grief Charlie Brown! Two words : Public Points

@hTideGnow 

Oopsie Betty Boopsie!

@srlawren I think @bunnykin is new to PM this year and likely on the new rewards system, so, no $2 Autopay discount   😞

srlawren

@bunnykin wrote:

Also sadly don't have any $2 off for autopayment like people did in the past? : (

@bunnykin it's been quite some time since I activated a new account but if memory serves me, you start getting the $2 off for auto-pay from your second cycle (essentially, from your second month).  You should see it off your next payment, meaning you should see a charge of $23 + 1.12% tax = $25.76 on your credit card starting with your next payment.  Please don't quote me on this but I believe it's correct.

EDIT: it would appear that nobody is immune from occasionally spreading misinformation!  My apologies @bunnykin , I completely forgot that Public Mobile switched to a different reward system so please completely disregard what I said!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

HI @bunnykin   but tips in Europe usually is more

@hTideGnow my understanding is that you are not expected to tip for service in Europe because it's built into the price of the product/service and the employees are paid a fair wage.  EDIT: at least in most European countries; more here--https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe

Hi @darlicious   i think you were talking to @bunnykin , I was the one who like our tax system more than the hidden 21%  🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Lol...thats because you don't want to see how much value added tax there is on almost everything at 21%. As well as an automatic service charge in restaurants of an average 15% of the bill. For good to exceptional service round up and/or add up to an additional 10% preferably in cash to your server.

@bunnykin wrote:

It's even worse here for restaurants:  First there's tax, then there's tipping, so you're looking at a price and have to mentally add like another 25-30+% with tax and whatever you feel like the appropriate tip is.   Which is alot.   

HI @bunnykin   but tips in Europe usually is more

honest, it is just an illusion.  Everything is tax included in Europe but that means the base price is already higher.

Here the base price is lower, but then add the tax on top.  This is a bit clearly as you see how much the tax is.  Europe is easier as the price is all tax included.  You don't need that many pennies there.  A $2 is $2 there, not here  🙂

We all have to pay taxes. Your phone number is from BC or MB. $25 + 12% = $28.

If you were to go in and make a manual payment then it will show the taxes that it will intend to add before you click go. That's it. You otherwise have to assume taxes will be paid somewhere when new money comes in to the account either manually or autopay.

bunnykin

Yes I was living in Europe and it's much better shopping for anything knowing the tax is already included in the display price.  Better for budgeting and assessing.

It's even worse here for restaurants:  First there's tax, then there's tipping, so you're looking at a price and have to mentally add like another 25-30+% with tax and whatever you feel like the appropriate tip is.   Which is alot.   

bunnykin

I have it on autopay, it's autodebited from my bank.  So it's telling my bank it's $28 total, but somehow the website doesn't tell me this total which I find weird, most websites do break down the tax amount at least somewhere in your payment history.

bunnykin

Yeah, and usually on most shopping websites, there is at least a taxbreakdown at the end of it.  Here there was none.  It only shows $25.

Also sadly don't have any $2 off for autopayment like people did in the past? : (

@umnikke8 wrote:

It is rather annoying and a bit confusing that the transaction history doesn't show the taxes.

It's also fun if you are trying to make a one-time payment of a specific amount, you enter the pre-tax amount and have to adjust it till the total with tax adds up to what you want.

HI @umnikke8 

You don't have to worry. Just pay the Amount due (or whatever amount you need), PM system will charge you tax on top of what you try to load.

So, if you need $10, you load $10 on the  system PM will charge $11+tax to your credit card.  At the end, you will see $10 in your account as Available Fund

?? But it's only the pre-tax amount that matters here. You want to add $17 to your account?...type in $17 in the box. The system will add that to your account and charge that and the taxes on the card.

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It is rather annoying and a bit confusing that the transaction history doesn't show the taxes.

It's also fun if you are trying to make a one-time payment of a specific amount, you enter the pre-tax amount and have to adjust it till the total with tax adds up to what you want.

srlawren

I'm always surprised when this question comes up.  Taxes are built into the pricing of very few goods or services in Canada and are almost always over the top of the advertised/published prices.  I wish it was more like in Europe where VAT is already built in to the prices of everything, but alas that is not the precedent here.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Plan is $25 but you have to add taxes...

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bunnykin wrote:

Why is my card charged 28 dollars on autopay for a plan that costs 25? Is it because the tax wasn't listed?  I can't see the taxbreakdown anywhere inside my own account.

@bunnykin you wouldn't see the tax breakdown in your account it would be added at the time your paid for it  a voucher or a credit card 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bunnykin 

You just activated. Your initial charges in your account are as follows:

1. 30 Day Plan................$10
  2. 1GB AT 3G SPEED......$15

$10+$15=$25 +tax (7%pst+5%gst=$3)=$28 appears on your credit card.

Despite the marketing and messaging you recieved during activation and your welcome email and account details public mobile no longer gives customers who have activated on and after January 25th 2022 the $2 auto pay reward. Instead its been replaced by the points program's 5% back in points. However feel free to complain about this misleading messaging.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bunnykin

Because there is 7% for provincial sale tax and 5 % GST.

So the $25 should add up to $28 with taxes.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

$25 + 12% tax = $28

Taxes are charged at the payment. Pre-tax shows in the account.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Depending on which province you're in....taxes would be my guess. Inevitable in every province.

Need Help? Let's chat.