cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it called "Autopay"?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've been with PM for close to 2 years now.  I've been on autopay so I get a $2 discount and some data usage each month.  I recently updated my CC with a new Expiry Date.  Then I got to thinking, how is it Autopay?

Each month, a few days before a payment is taken, I make a payment with my CC to ensure there's enough in my balance.  So in fact, I already made a payment and the transaction is posted that same day on my CC statement.

So if I made the payment manually, how is it Autopay?

7 REPLIES 7

@mobileguy 

I would like to clarify the expression "renewal failure" vs "autopay failure". Manually topping up your account avoids the possibility of an autopay failure when for whatever reason the charge to the credit card fails causing your account to be suspended for non payment. A renewal failure is exceedingly rare but can happen (as it happened to me) this is when despite having enough funds in my balance to cover my renewal ( as well as autopay) the system failed to take the funds from my balance so then my renewal failed. There was no way for me to pay and reactivate the account only the moderators were able to fix the problem ( with help from the tech team). Just sayin'.......

sweeneysblade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The Autopay is simply to pay your bill. So if you have a positive balance on your account (benefits, credits, bonuses), then that is applied to your monthly payment first and any remaining amount owing is then billed to the credit card you used for Autopay. So you could treat it as just a recurring bill payment for your credit card and not "top up" your account here.

@mobileguy 

Right. PM takes from balance first and if not enough will take from auto-pay set up. 

mobileguy

@Triguy , I think I understand.  So the Autopay kicks in if there is not enough of a balance to cover your monthly payment.  Then PM takes the remainder from your CC.  But if there is enough balance to cover your payment, then PM ignores everything.  Am I right?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is supposed to be seemless and no customer intervention is needed.  For most people it works automatically and their credit card gets charged. Also their service continues uninterrupted.  For some others it is doesn't work and they need to keep a balance in their account or make a manual payment a few days before their renewal date.

mobileguy

@mimmo , Thanks for clarifying.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you pay manually then its not autopay,  my family members put their credit card in and basically forget about PM (dont log in to top up) and that is autopay,  except when it fails  (has not happened to them yet, knock on wood).  by logging in manually adding funds you are basically avoiding the possibility of a renewal failure.

Need Help? Let's chat.