cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is LTE data so slow in the Edmonton area with Public Mobile?

jorgegonzalez
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have tried every possible troubleshooting recommendation found here I have come to the conclusion that Public Mobile LTE network is even slower than any 3G service. 

8 REPLIES 8

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unfortunately, this is just normal PM speeds. It's what I'm getting as well.

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jorgegonzalez - Yes, there has been a lot of development in SW / SE Edmonton over the last couple of years without hardly any cell improvements, this is shown with lots of speed tests since the towers are now getting congested due to no improvement hence the speed that you are getting.

jorgegonzalez

Well, that was enlightening. I’m on the SW of the city outside the Henday and there are barely any towers compared to other areas, and this zone has seen a huge increase and development in the past few years. It’s still strange to me that I used to have Bell and their service was noticeable better, even though I see there are almost no Bell towers on this area either.   

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jorgegonzalez - Please use this tool to find a Telus or Bell cell tower closest to your location (Already pointed in the Edmonton Area): https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=53.540488&lng=-113.499069&zoom=10&type=Roa....

If there is NO Telus / Bell Tower, but if you select 'All other' Checkmark or 'Rogers,' then you may get better service with Rogers or Freedom Mobile, it all depends on if the CRTC allows for a tower location to be at that location. 

I have LTE (5G NSA but technically LTE) when I travel to Edmonton occasionally and it is good (80mbps+) but the Speedtest is on Gateway Blvd after the Whitemud Drive interchange. Also WEM is horrible for trash service, especially at the Galaxyland end of the mall. That is usually where I go in Edmonton when I have to go there.

jorgegonzalez

IMG_2582.png

hi @jorgegonzalez there are many PM subscribers and we do not hear much complain about that

You said slow, how slow?? Connect on both 3G and 4G and do some speed tests, provide us screenshots 

But you tried the sim in another phone??

jorgegonzalez

It’s an Iphone XR. Yes I have tried all of that with no luck. I’ve been in a 60 km radius from Edmonton with the same luck. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @jorgegonzalez what make and model of your phone??

Tried your sim in another phone just to test??

is it better in another area?

did you try "Reset All Networks"

Need Help? Let's chat.