cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PM moving backward ?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The promise of 5G technology starts with ultra-fast connections up to 40 times quicker than 4G, but a more subtle benefit is the concept’s signal prioritization that would give a message warning a self driving car of an impending collision, for example, precedence over a video game download.

Experts say 5G will all but eliminate latency or connectivity gaps, making video buffering and delays in Skype connections a thing of the past, while defaulting to the strongest signal to allow a seamless transition between cellular and Wi-Fi.

It would also allow efficient handling of a very large number of devices including smart objects in the Internet of Things to support always accessible connections.

As such, it is expected to usher in ultra HD video on smartphones and pave the way for innovative new applications in segments including entertainment, health and transport.

5G pricing

Despite the promise of network efficiencies that would lower operators’ costs per byte of service, ultra-fast, data-vacuuming connections won't come cheap.

The technology promises speeds up to 40 times faster than 4G, allowing download of an “8K,” 3-D video on a 5G smartphone in six seconds versus six minutes on 4G, according to Nokia.

Higher download speeds have been accompanied by big jumps in data usage in markets including Canada and 5G would boost that trend considerably, Cisco says in a separate report.

Netflix, meanwhile says a standard-definition streaming video viewed on a phone or tablet uses up to 0.7 GB of data per hour; HD video uses up 3 GB; 3-D video uses up 4.7 GB and 4K video uses 7 GB, more than three times the average monthly data plan.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/05/22/canadas-major-telecoms-set-to-leap-in-to-5g-technology.h...

11 REPLIES 11

pwrdesign
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why wouldnt they honour a $40/month plan with 4 GBs??  You think thats a deal for a non-existent company with zero service and support???  to me thats too much.

Oh and even though they will lie and claim its not, it is very profitable.

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pulp74 wrote:
Guys do you think Public Mobile (and obviously Telus) will honor for forseeible future the pricing and rewards of the plans we are on now? (In my case it's 4 GB for $40).

I certainly hope so...

potato
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
It is on purpose. They bled too many customers from bell, their tower sharing partner, and cannibalized themselves.

They don't want any new customers. Telus strongly regrets the PM strategy but they can't outright shutter it from new accounts without raising the ire of the CRTC so ridiculous price increases that basically match bellus is the order of the day. It was kind of bizarre the PM deals even ever existed since their parent company has a near monopoly. I hope they will at least be punished by CRTC for introducing an explicitly lower tier data service.

@pulp74 wrote:
Guys do you think Public Mobile (and obviously Telus) will honor for forseeible future the pricing and rewards of the plans we are on now? (In my case it's 4 GB for $40).

No changes on plans users are currently on. We cannot guarantee if prices will change or not in the future. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pulp74 wrote:

We've never seen price increases of this magnitude in PM's regular plans before, so it throws some doubt on how long they'll keep our grandfathered plans as they are.  Seems like things are in a state of flux right now, so who knows. 

@pulp74 wrote:

We all have the same fuzzy crystal ball.  Nobody knows the future with exactness.  We can only try to make educated guesses.  With each evolution, there will be elements of in with the new and out with the old.  We have seen how they dealt with the call centre.  I suggest be ready for change so that when it happens there will be no surprise.

pulp74
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Right now, it seems too good to be true for us on PM. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

ROBELUS LOLCat Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile being the bottom of the food chain would always be a slow adopter.  This recent step backwards to 3G is born out of pure greed.  To throttle it to near unusable speed pure unconscionable greed.  I hope the uptake for the new plans is zero so that it sends a clear message to the decision makers that they messed up big time.

pwrdesign
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile is owned by Telus...  what makes you think PM wont jump up to 5G once available?

Need Help? Let's chat.