cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White River Ontario - No voice service

Bandsaw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, so here is a weird problem that is occuring to me the last two nights that I have been held up in White River, Ontario.

The issue is happening to both my personal phone, which is Public Mobile, and my work phone, which is Bell Mobility.  As this weird issue is affecting both service providers, I don't think it would be an issue with PM itself, but I thought someone from PM might want to look into it as it is indirectly affecting thier users.

Both phone have full service indicated (full bars).  Both phones have no issues with using data or sending/receiving text mesages.  Neither phone will send a voice call or receive a voice call.  I have tried calling local, long distance (within Canada), each phone seperately, etc.  The Galaxy S8 will just sit and hang on dead air, pop a message for 2 seconds that says "phone not in service area" and hangup.  The Galaxy A8 (PM) does the same, but it does not give the "not in service area" message.

So that is the weird issue from the grand metropolitain area of White River, Ontario.  Weird.  There is no service outside of White River until you go further east, west or north.  Once I get to Hornepayne, both phones work fine.  Just seems to be the White River island.

Going home tomaorow, so I just have tonight of no talking.

Cheers all.

10 REPLIES 10

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Bandsaw @GR you're right. The site in White River has LTE only.

Only VoLTE service will provide voice. PM will not support voice there. Bell should work depending on VoLTE provisioning. Are you sure VoLTE normally works fine on your Bell S8?

I don't know why Bell deployed a site with LTE only.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Bandsaw   no problem, maybe somebody else has a theory or can figure out what the problem is!  Lol

Bandsaw

@GR wrote:

@Bandsaw  do you know if your bell work phone is set to use volte to make calls or if it's off in the settings?  If it usually uses volte than my theory is dead!

@GR Just checked the VoLTE status on the Bell phone and it is turned on.  Sorry for killing the thoery Smiley Very Happy

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Bandsaw  do you know if your bell work phone is set to use volte to make calls or if it's off in the settings?  If it usually uses volte than my theory is dead!

Bandsaw

@GR wrote:

According to the tower app I use there's only 1 bell tower in white river and it only uses the 700mhz frequency which mean it's an LTE only tower so if you're using volte you could place a call but because public mobile uses 3g 850mhz or 1900mhz that's why you can text and use data but not place a call.  Rogers has towers around there too using 850mhz so they can place a 3g call  but for some reason  bell has an LTE only tower. 

@GR not quite sure what you are saying here.  Are saying that since PM is 3G only, and the White River site is LTE only, a PM phone will never make a voice call unless usinh VoLTE? That does not make since as the Bell Mobility phone is full LTE service and it does not work either.  Or did I read you wrong?

Bandsaw

@will13am

Thanks.  That is what I figured.  Glad you guys are on top of things.

Cheers

According to the tower app I use there's only 1 bell tower in white river and it only uses the 700mhz frequency which mean it's an LTE only tower so if you're using volte you could place a call but because public mobile uses 3g 850mhz or 1900mhz that's why you can text and use data but not place a call.  Rogers has towers around there too using 850mhz so they can place a 3g call  but for some reason  bell has an LTE only tower. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Bandsaw , thanks for reporting the issue.  It looks like there is a local network issue affecting phone calls.  Since Telus uses Bell towers in Ontario, it would be of no surprise that a tower issue can affect both Bell and Public Mobile.  If data works, there is always the option of making phone calls using a calling app.  

I feel lucky there hasn't been issues in my area, made a call this afternoon with no problems, great voice quality in fact.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bandsaw , thanks for reporting the issue.  It looks like there is a local network issue affecting phone calls.  Since Telus uses Bell towers in Ontario, it would be of no surprise that a tower issue can affect both Bell and Public Mobile.  If data works, there is always the option of making phone calls using a calling app.  

popealexander

i would try resetting the phones, but that would be a total shot in the dark. 

Need Help? Let's chat.