cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will PM activate VoLTE on my account?

PrettyFly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have a device that is on the Telus and Koodo whitelist and was originally activated on Koodo.

PM CS says I cannot have VoLTE unless I purchase a 4G or 5G plan.

The FAQ from PM on VoLTE says all accounts activated after Feb 22 2023 have VoLTE and the ones from prior will receive it over a few months. It's September now.. what is the duration of a few months? The last day before the 3G network shutdown?

Seems to me there's a contradiction with the FAQ. Doesn't seem right that all plans including the 3G one activated after a date have VoLTE and the ones prior do not.

Do the CS agents have the ability at all to activate this?

22 REPLIES 22

PrettyFly

I've been told that CSAs don't have the ability to toggle the flag, and that the department that does is another department which has no contact with the customer service side of things and cannot be communicated with.

I will try another public-facing door and will update again.

@sheytoon wrote:

I wish I knew.

This is all core stuff, and my expertise is in RAN. From what I was told, Bell has no whitelist and Telus isn't supposed to have one either but it seems they do. Because I also experienced the same issue where I had VoLTE for a few weeks in March and then it disappeared for months and only recently came back again.

If the whitelist goes away it'll be a lot easier, although you still need phone software to allow it.

Your experience gives me some hope, albeit faint.  I don't understand why a whitelist is needed as well. If Bell can run without one then it would suggest there is not optimization associated with having one.  

Agree the link isn't exactly relevant but it does show that your particular phone model's VoLTE compatibility varies by carrier in the States at least.  Whether that is a contributing factor (because Canadians "roam" on AT&T) I don't know.  Are you sure all PM customers with VoLTE capable phones, or rather that PM deems compatible, have been switched over?   If your phone is still dropping to 3G on calls when mobile data is on then one might hope they just haven't got around to that phone model yet.  IPhones don't show a VoLTE setting on PM so the only reason I know I have it is that it doesn't drop to 3G on calls, as I said before there was no notification.

I wish I knew.

This is all core stuff, and my expertise is in RAN. From what I was told, Bell has no whitelist and Telus isn't supposed to have one either but it seems they do. Because I also experienced the same issue where I had VoLTE for a few weeks in March and then it disappeared for months and only recently came back again.

If the whitelist goes away it'll be a lot easier, although you still need phone software to allow it.

PrettyFly

Phil, thanks for the link but not really relevant because it's specific to AT&T and I have a Canadian device which has all the LTE bands needed to operate. More to the point, this device literally is listed on the Koodo whitelist (and was activated there). So, it is technically possible for the other arms of Telus to have it operating because it was operating before.

I will wait and see how it goes.. no ticket reply today thus far, and I'll see what Sheytoon says in response to Will, but I'm thinking, if nobody can give a good explanation why a Telus activated device can't have VoLTE on PM, then it might be time for a CRTC complaint.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is probably time to engage our resident expert to better understand why supporting VoLTE is so tough for Public Mobile.  @sheytoon , please enlighten us on how VoLTE works and why certain devices that are apparently VoLTE capable do not play nice on Public Mobile.  What is really disconcerting for me is that I have a phone that worked initially and then it ended up being kicked off the whitelist.  The phone has no problem with VoLTE on the dog brand.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@PrettyFly"but in my case I never even received the SMS saying that it was active like other people"

I did not receive an SMS that VoLTE was active on my phone but it must be based on it's not dropping to 3G during calls when mobile data is turned on (that's the only way to find out with an iPhone). So getting an SMS notification isn't universal it seems and not getting one doesn't necessarily mean it's not there.

But earlier you said "Yes, if I use the phone it leaves LTE" - so it does drop to 3G on calls?

I used to have an Android with another carrier that was VoLTE capable and indicated it as such at the top of the phone for a long time, then suddenly one day the icon disappeared and the phone would drop to 3G if data was on.  Several calls to their customer service did not get it restored although the line was said to be appropriately provisioned.  The manufacturer said the phone was capable and it was up to the service provider.  Then I got the email from the provider that the phone would no longer work in the USA due to the dropping of 3G.  Checking US carriers it seems it is not VoLTE covered there.  So it's not just PM.

This article may be relevant https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-a70-will-stop-working-starting-feb-of-2022.4390793/ 

Yes we'll all have decisions to make by the end of 2025. Get a new device will be the likely outcome.
But do you know if the Bell 3rd tier Lucky will allow any volte capable phone?

Adding - a quick glance at their forum and it doesn't look like they have any at all. I did find a little nugget though. This past June apparently they upped their "3G speed" to 10Mbps.

I would love to know if you are able to crack this nut.  School me on his you achieved success.

PrettyFly

I hear you, but in my case I never even received the SMS saying that it was active like other people. So the rollout never came my way. I just figured after more than half a year, how long could it take?

Based on personal experience, I would say once a phone is blocked from accessing VoLTE, it's mission impossible to get out of that rut.  I have a phone that was on VoLTE the first month or so following VoLTE rollout.  For reasons I cannot explain I lost access and have tried my level best to get it restored with zero success.  I chatted with support several times.  They were of no help.  I would say if VoLTE works or doesn't, accept the outcome and recite the serenity prayer.  

PrettyFly

Hopefully the plan isn't to wait till Dec 31st 2024 to turn it on for everyone.

Bell doesn't even have a whitelist anymore. All devices, international and otherwise, will work with VoLTE.

@PrettyFly 

as mentioned, they do seem to have discretionary ability to turn it on. It really has nothing to do with whatever plan that CSA is trying to coerce you into upgrading to. Keep working on the CSA angle...asking to have your request escalated if you get no satisfaction. Keep us posted with your success.

You do not have volte. My phone is newer and they refuse to enable it for volte even though it works for volte on another provider. Your phone is Canadian, they really should. My phone is international, meh. This place is being severely restrictive on devices being allowed to use volte. It sucks. They seem to be doing things in a proprietary non-standard way. I have a cheap US provider that instantly picked up volte and it also offered vowifi. Not this place.

PrettyFly

Screenshot_20230914-231311_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20230914-231401_Settings.jpg

Go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - and look for any mention of IMS and if registered.
In that same screen is a line about mobile voice network. Make a call and see if that changes to UMTS (adding - while on the call).

PrettyFly

It's a Samsung SM-A705W. You'll find it on the Koodo whitelist here at https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

I've opened another ticket, let's see what happens.

The plan has nothing to do with volte. This is a falsehood from whatever agent.
What is the make and model of the phone? There are different ways to verify the presence of volte.

PrettyFly

Honestly, I tried that already. Said to ask their supervisor and that they could wait till tomorrow to respond but no dice. I guess I'll try opening another ticket using the link you gave.

@PrettyFly 

I also have $15 plan (3G) and the volte has been turned on the iPhone SE 2022. When I dial a number, it stays on LTE rather than dropping to 3G.

Ask to have your volte request reviewed by a senior CSA person.

PrettyFly

Yes, if I use the phone it leaves LTE.

I did message CSA with the request and they said no unless I buy a 4G or 5G plan which is not what I am seeking today.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@PrettyFly 

apparently they do have discretionary ability. Have you tried yourself to see if its activated.

Otherwise message CSA and ask to have volte turned on.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.