cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp from abroad

Josueore
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

how can I access my WhatsApp from abroad my phone reinitialized itself so I can't access my whatsap and I dont longer have the sim - is it possible to access whatsap back

23 REPLIES 23

fmongeau1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did this trick:

Re: WhatsApp from abroad - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Excerpt:  «  Let the countdown run out and you will see two options.

1- Send verification again via SMS

2- Call me with verification number.

Select the option to have WhatsApp call you.

Now since you don't have the sim and are out of country WhatsApp will call and get your voicemail and it will be on your voicemail.

4- As the countdown is going down to verify. Quickly call from the Textnow app to your voicemail. 

Listen to your voicemail message for the verification number.   »

This works fine except:  .. the voicemail is empty. I do receive a voicemail but there is no voice, just silence for maybe 10-15 seconds and then the caller hangs up. I also tried with Fongo (similar to TextNow).

I am starting to suspect that the WhatsApp automated calling system is not compatible with Public Mobile's voice mail system

-OR-

that the trick described no longer works, like, for some reason [usually they will say "for security reasons"], WhatsApp detects that it's a voice mail and when it is then it does not dictate the code.

Anyone has feedback/help for me? For example anyone used this trick recently and can confirm that it still works for them?
Thanks

fmongeau1

This makes a lot of sense and it is fully logical. So... that's exactly what I did.

However, when I get to :

« Listen to your voicemail message for the verification number »

... the voicemail is empty. I do receive a voicemail but there is no voice, just silence for maybe 10-15 seconds and then the caller hangs up. I also tried with Fongo (similar to TextNow).

I am starting to suspect that the WhatsApp automated calling system is not compatible with Public Mobile's voice mail system -OR- that the trick described no longer works, like, for some reason [usually they will say "for security reasons"], WhatsApp detects that it's a voice mail and when it is then it does not dictate the code).

Anyone has feedback/help for me?  For example anyone used this 'trick' recently and can confirm that it still works for them?
Thanks

fmongeau1

I did that today, but it did not work. However, I am sure I used that method in the past and it was working.  But today it does not: I DO receive the voice mail from WhatsApp but it is empty: there is no sound, no code provided.  Why is the voice mail empty?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Josueore 

Follow these steps.

1 - First download Textnow. Create an account. You will get a Canadian number that will allow you to call Canada/USA numbers for free over Wi-Fi anywhere in the world that has WiFi (or data) connection.

2- Practice calling your Public Mobile voicemail via the Textnow app so you can get used to the process. To call your PM voicemail from another number it is Your PM area code -580-4001 (example: 514-580-4001) It will then ask you to enter your PM cell number and your voicemail password and now you're in your voicemail.

3-Download and install WhatsApp. Enter your PM cell phone number for verification. It will attempt to text you the verification code. Since you don't have the sim and are out of country you're obviously not going to get the code.

You'll see a countdown on WhatsApp to verify. Think it is a bit over a minute. 

Let the countdown run out and you will see two options.

1- Send verification again via SMS

2- Call me with verification number.

Select the option to have WhatsApp call you.

Now since you don't have the sim and are out of country WhatsApp will call and get your voicemail and it will be on your voicemail.

4- As the countdown is going down to verify. Quickly call from the Textnow app to your voicemail. 

Listen to your voicemail message for the verification number. 

Quickly go back to WhatsApp and enter it to verify your WhatsApp. You may have to try a few times incase you run out of time. That's why I suggested you practice Textnow first.

Voila! Congratulations!! You now have your WhatsApp back on your phone while out of country.

Happy Holidays and Stay Safe 😉

@Camera4617 wrote:

@dabr Thanks for doing it. I was lazy to find a pin to take SiM out but as I expected, it works. 

@Camera4617    Lol...yeah, I guess I was really curious as to whether it would work without the SIM, so seemed like a quick way to find out.  😁

Edit:  I'm also thinking that it's perhaps a better WIFI app than Textnow, JMO 😀

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr Thanks for doing it. I was lazy to find a pin to take SiM out but as I expected, it works. 

@Camera4617 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

daki28    It's always to good to hear from first hand experience, personally I've always had the PM SIM (or another carrier's SIM prior) in my phone when abroad, so never encountered a problem using Whatsapp and had assumed (wrongly) that you needed the SIM attached to the phone number even when on WIFI...  

Yeah, I've done it many times while traveling in Europe or Asia. I always buy local SIM (and have to take out original one) and everything works fine using your original number. Unless, WhatsApp changed something in meantime which I doubt. 

@Camera4617    Does it work without any SIM in the phone at all when abroad?   I've usually just relied on Whatsapp  over WIFI and never had to purchase a local SIM when traveling. 

@dabr I haven't tested 'without sim' as usually I have one, either original (without roaming) or local but I guess that's something we can test home too. Just take out your SIM and see if it works on WiFi. I would be surprised if it doesn't work. 

@Camera4617   Well learned something new.. 😊  So tried your suggestion and yep no problem using Whatsapp over WIFI without the SIM.  Great suggestion, thanks.  👍

Camera4617

@dabr wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

daki28    It's always to good to hear from first hand experience, personally I've always had the PM SIM (or another carrier's SIM prior) in my phone when abroad, so never encountered a problem using Whatsapp and had assumed (wrongly) that you needed the SIM attached to the phone number even when on WIFI...  

Yeah, I've done it many times while traveling in Europe or Asia. I always buy local SIM (and have to take out original one) and everything works fine using your original number. Unless, WhatsApp changed something in meantime which I doubt. 

@Camera4617    Does it work without any SIM in the phone at all when abroad?   I've usually just relied on Whatsapp  over WIFI and never had to purchase a local SIM when traveling. 

@dabr I haven't tested 'without sim' as usually I have one, either original (without roaming) or local but I guess that's something we can test home too. Just take out your SIM and see if it works on WiFi. I would be surprised if it doesn't work. 

@Camera4617 wrote:

Camera4617

@Camera4617 wrote:

@softech wrote:

even the SIM is away from the phone and using Wifi or even another SIM, the Whatapp actually just need the verification during registration.  New verification is only required when you change the registered number in the settings

Exactly, I've done it many times and it works without original sim as long as it is not uninstalled. I assume OP reinstalled everything so to get back with original (PM) number, need access to that number. Just needs code to verify it, even if somebody else if possible has that SiM for verification process. 

@Camera4617    It's always to good to hear from first hand experience, personally I've always had the PM SIM (or another carrier's SIM prior) in my phone when abroad, so never encountered a problem using Whatsapp and had assumed (wrongly) that you needed the SIM attached to the phone number even when on WIFI...  

Camera4617

@softech wrote:

even the SIM is away from the phone and using Wifi or even another SIM, the Whatapp actually just need the verification during registration.  New verification is only required when you change the registered number in the settings

Exactly, I've done it many times and it works without original sim as long as it is not uninstalled. I assume OP reinstalled everything so to get back with original (PM) number, need access to that number. Just needs code to verify it, even if somebody else if possible has that SiM for verification process. 

Whatsapp will work even the SIM is away from the phone and using Wifi or even another SIM, the Whatapp actually just need the verification during registration.  New verification is only required when you change the registered number in the settings

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Josueore wrote:

how can I access my WhatsApp from abroad my phone reinitialized itself so I can't access my whatsap and I dont longer have the sim - is it possible to access whatsap back

@Josueore    Just reread your question.   Where is your PM SIM?  If it's not in your current phone and you left the PM SIM in Canada then you wouldn't be able to use Whatsapp abroad anyways unless you install it again to a new SIM that you might be using there.  

Edit:  Perhaps that's not entirely true either as  there's some web results which suggest otherwise but you'd need to verify Whatsapp again...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Josueore 

no you can't access without your service and SIM card..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Josueore wrote:

@Josueore  did you phone factory reset itself?

Usually once Whatsapp is activated and verified on the phone, even you swapped SIM, it would work without issue.

But if you phone was factory reset or Whatsapp uninstalled and reinstalled, you need to reverify the account again via SMS or phone calls, there is no other way to do it

https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/im-traveling-and-i-cant-get-my-whatsapp-code/?lang=en

if you are using a local SIM with phone/text service, you can setup  a NEW Whatsapp account to use it temporarily while you are there.  Since this local SIM has phone/text service, the verification part would not be an issue ON THE NEW LOCAL number

@hairbag1 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Josueore wrote:

Whatapp is an app on your phone...nothing to do with PM. As long as you have wifi, your whatapp should be fine.

@hairbag1   Yes, but it's connected via one's number which mean OP needs to reinstall Whatsapp again if he's saying it's no longer accessible but won't be able to that until he's back.  

Makes sense...I thought Whatsapp would function as long as wifi was available.I see now, that without the PM sim...it won't work with that number.

@hairbag1   OP could reinstall with another number if he's using a local SIM now and then wait until he back in Canada to try and reinstall Whatsapp again to his PM number.  Hopefully, he backed up his data regularly and might be able to retrieve all the previous conversations that way.

@dabr wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Josueore wrote:

Whatapp is an app on your phone...nothing to do with PM. As long as you have wifi, your whatapp should be fine.

@hairbag1   Yes, but it's connected via one's number which mean OP needs to reinstall Whatsapp again if he's saying it's no longer accessible but won't be able to that until he's back.  

Makes sense...I thought Whatsapp would function as long as wifi was available.I see now, that without the PM sim...it won't work with that number.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Josueore wrote:

edit, not sure what "reinitialized" means...you can always re-downoad Whatapp from the apps store.

Whatsapp works off of your phone number.  The phone number can be changed but not too often otherwise the account can get locked.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/verification/using-one-whatsapp-account-on-multiple-phones-or-with-...

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Josueore wrote:

@Josueore    I'm not sure what you can do for now.  Hopefully, someone else does who may have dealt with the same issue as you.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Josueore wrote:

@Josueore , can you reverify your whatsapp account with your new number?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would either have to use Wi-Fi or purchase a local sim and plan.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Josueore wrote:

edit, not sure what "reinitialized" means...you can always re-downoad Whatapp from the apps store.

Need Help? Let's chat.