cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do after Porting the number?

mayankrai345
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,
I ported my number from Virgin to Public today. I was wondering if your guys can help tell me what are all the things that I need to do in order to avoid any future problems if any?
Thanks in advance 🙂

(For e.g., I already set up my new voicemail.)

6 REPLIES 6

@mayankrai345 wrote:

I already set up my account I guess,
I chose my plan type, payment method, etc.

Choosing plan type, payment etc isn’t setting up your Self Serve account. That was all in the application. Now you need access to make changes in the future and/or check usage, buy add-ons etc.

AE_Collector

@mayankrai345 

Welcome to public mobile!

You may want to dabble with your data saving tools too...

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

mayankrai345

Thanks a lot!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mayankrai345 

The biggest one off the top of my head would be autopay. You can earn the $2 reward by having an autopay card on file but still pay manually a day or two before renewal using your card on file or by voucher thru self serve or 611. ( you need to use your 4 digit account pin # for your credit card thru 611.)This avoids any chance of an autopay failure and service suspension.

Also write down your email, password, account pin # and security question and answer and put it in a safe and secure place if needed in the future.

When making payments or changes in your account use the following method to avoid glitches and error messages....

1. Clear your browser.
  2. Reboot your device.
  3. Open one tab only.
  4. Use secret/incognito mode.
  5. Firefox, chrome, safari or edge work best.

Take a screenshot of your overview page before and after renewal to catch any glitches and prove they occurred. ie. data counter not resetting after renewal. And a screenshot of your transaction/payment history at least every 90 days.

Edit: as above in bold.

mayankrai345

I already set up my account I guess,
I chose my plan type, payment method, etc.

Within an hour or so, Virgin have ported my number. So is there anything else left or that I should take care of?

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Make sure you set up your account at selfserve.publicmobile.ca

Need Help? Let's chat.