cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What messaging app uses the least amount of data?

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does anyone know which of these 3 use the least amount of data: TextNow, WhatsApp or Messenger? I am travelling soon using only the Public Mobile US data add-on and it's such bad value and so expensive - 1GB for $20?? I looked into getting a US SIM card but it's not worth it for me when I am only gone a week and will have wifi access when at my accommodations, so it's not practical to buying a SIM card and getting a prepaid plan. My phone (Samsung A21) unfortunately also doesn't have eSim support - I just learned of that and what an easy and great deal it is!

Anyway, just trying to decide what app I should use when I am out and using data. It is primarily for texting rather than voice calls.

5 REPLIES 5

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I know in the past when I've been with a group using a satellite uplink where it cost $10 per megebyte, Telegram was the app of choice for low data usage...

But honestly I'd rank WhatsApp and Messenger probably better than TextNow, just because TextNow rotating ads through that could consume data... Personally nowadays I am pretty much WhatsApp only, and I get go a whole month on 250MB if I am not sending pictures and Videos while on mobile data. Whatsapp lets you choose whether you want to download large images or videos over mobile data.

1GB might work perfectly fine for a week. If you really want to be frugal, you can turn off your mobile data while driving, etc, and if someone really needs to get ahold of you tell them to SMS you, and then you can reply via SMS, choose whether to turn mobile data on, or wait until your next WiFi connection.

@helenhelen wrote:

Does anyone know which of these 3 use the least amount of data: TextNow, WhatsApp or Messenger?

I don't see there being any significant difference.  TWhastsApp and Facebook Messenger are both owned by Meta. I would say that for the most part, the amount of data is dtermined by what the user does with the app (ie. watching videos, sending/receiving photos, etc).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

I've used both TextNow and WhatsApp while on the road. I restricted myself to mainly use while I have a wifi signal...but if you minimize your use...I think 1Gb of data should last you a week.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen 

All 3 apps are good but TextNow is the most flexible. If you use any of these apps on wifi…no data usage.

On the Messenger app, you and your recipient need to have a Facebook account.

On WhatsApp, both parties need to have this app for it to work.

On TextNow app, you need to pick a telephone number from their list so you will have a PM number and a TextNow number on your phone but you can call or text anyone.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen 

if all you're doing is texting then 1gb will be plenty for any of the apps mentioned 

Need Help? Let's chat.