cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the latest procedure on porting over another cell phone # (namely Koodo)?

PublicMolang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello PM community. I just signed up a brand new Public Mobile # at a local Walmart. I was orignally going to port over my existing Koodo #, but the tech at Walmart told me that for Koodo, I would need to open a temporary phone # first.

Right now I have two phone #s. One Koodo (cycle ends this week), and one Public Mobile. I might be asking a repeated question, but I'd like to set things right the first time to avoid any service interruption 🙂

What is the proper procedure for porting over my Koodo number? Here's what I've gathered:

1. Keep my Koodo line active at the moment

2. Go to Public Mobile self-serve, and change phone #. Do I have to wait for a certain amount of time before attempting to port a new #? How long does it take for the # to port over?

3. Assuming porting is successful, do I need to do anything on Koodo's end? I'm assuming the Public Mobile # I just got will be inactive?

4. My promo bill credits will still be intact?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

MolangMobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wrong thread.

PublicMolang

There's one more thing I forgot to ask.

This Koodo # was once a Public Mobile #. I swapped from Public Mobile to Koodo not too long ago. I wasn't too happy with Koodo's customer care, so I now want to port that number to my new Public Mobile account (my current Public Mobile account and the old one are separate; different emails). Will this cause complication?

@stonechucker wrote:

@krazykiwi, that is a different situation - Telus prepaid is in its own system.

Reports seem to be that the Koodo and Public Mobile prepaid records are contained in the same 'shared' database, and because of this, moderator intervention is required. 

I see, thanks for the info.

@krazykiwi, that is a different situation - Telus prepaid is in its own system.

Reports seem to be that the Koodo and Public Mobile prepaid records are contained in the same 'shared' database, and because of this, moderator intervention is required. 

@PublicMolang wrote:

Koodo account is postpaid.

Thanks for all the info. I will gather some more info, and hopefully port later today.

Good luck and the one thing I suggest is taking a new number first and making sure the sim is fully functional, calls in & out, text in & out and data if you have it. Then when all is good, port your number.

PublicMolang

Koodo account is postpaid.

Thanks for all the info. I will gather some more info, and hopefully port later today.

@stonechucker wrote:

What is your Koodo plan currently?  Postpaid or Prepaid?

Prepaid needs moderator assistance.  Postpaid should port without a problem (normally).

Not sure if it is the same but I ported a telus prepaid number and had no issues whatsoever and it only took a couple mintues. 

What is your Koodo plan currently?  Postpaid or Prepaid?

Prepaid needs moderator assistance.  Postpaid should port without a problem (normally).

Account number, the name of the authorized user, and requested phone number to port is all that is needed.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, your Public Mobile referral credits will not be affected because you port your Koodo number in.  They are tied to your account.

PublicMolang

4. I meant the bill credits in Public Mobile. $35 referral credit for example. I'm guessing the credits are tied to my account but not the phone #?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

for koodo postpaid which it soulds like you have.

1) loginto selfserve 

2) click change number (unter plans tab i think)

3) enter the number you wnat to change to (it confirms it is doable.) if it fails message mods.

4) then enter the account number and name on your koodo account (exatly) 

5) click i am authorised (some people suggest clicking this before teh other info, not sure if nessisary any more)

6) wait a little yur line should ort. if it takes longer tahn a couple hours message teh mods.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

1. Correct.  Your Koodo account must be active at the time of porting.

2. Correct - it is done through self-serve.  There is no need to wait before porting.  If it works properly, porting should be almost instant.

3.  Once the port is successful, nothing is required from your end.  Your Koodo account will automatically close, and they should send you a prorated bill.  The temporary number you got from Public Mobile will be deactivated, and your account will then work with the ported number.

4.  Do you mean bill credits from Koodo?  I'm not sure, but I think those would be lost...

Need Help? Let's chat.