cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good phone for $400

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi i wanted to switch my mom over to public mobile. What is a good phone for about $400

45 REPLIES 45

SF2278
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c wrote:

@SF2278 LeTV / LeEco have their own set of issues (camera quality!)

You really need to install a custom rom to use those phones (and get rid of all the spyware / bloatware; the vendor sells them cheaply because they make most of their profits from built in software)

Just had to throw this out there since your comment about "avoiding" carrier bloatware 

I have not had any issues with the Camera and have not installed a custom rom.  I can tell you first hand that the amount of bloatware is NOTHING compared to what Rogers and Samsung shoved down my throat.  I think there are maybe a handful of built in apps...and I mean a small handful.  There is no comparison to Rogers and Samsung who forced about 50 different apps I never used on me.  Spyware? can you elaborate on this spyware you are speaking of?  I havent detected anything I would consider spyware...unless you want to count Google 😉

SF2278

@mimmo wrote:

@SF2278

How long did it takee to get your phone?  

did you go regular shipping (stuck in canadapost trailer for months) or dhl etc

were there any duties?

thanks

Hi sorry for the long  delay...got caught up with work.

I ordered my phone on Thursday and it was at my house on Monday.  I went with the standard DHL service which is Express DHL at a cost of about $10 and took the insurance which was about $2.

My import duties worked out to be about $22 which included the brokerage fee from DHL.  All inclusive my total was about $650 for TWO of these phones so doing the math, I paid about $325 for each one.

Hope that helps you.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

@kav2001c wrote:

You really need to install a custom rom to use those phones (and get rid of all the spyware / bloatware; the vendor sells them cheaply because they make most of their profits from built in software)

Just had to throw this out there since your comment about "avoiding" carrier bloatware 

@SF2278 wrote:

I recently purchased the following phone http://www.geekbuying.com/item/EU-Version-LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-Pro-X820-6-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-3791...

Yes, it is NOT a carrier phone and I couldn't be happier.  I have only been using it for a few days now but I have to say, it has far and away exceeded all of my expectations.  I was nervous to purchase overseas and break my habit of buying from a carrier, but I am really glad I did.  Not only have I avoided the ridiculous bloatware that infests carrier phones, but what I got for the price is beyond what I could have hoped for.  

+1 for firewall, adaway and custom roms.

@stonechucker wrote:

And here we go with the false statements that the Apple platform doesn't have viruses, and by extension malware and phishing issues.

I use both iOS and Adroid regularly.  My iPad (not jailbroken) has more issues with phishing scams than my 4 year old Nexus 5.

It doesn't matter what platform you're using.  You must take steps on all operating systems to protect yourself, your data, and your device.

There are some that wear rose colored sun glasses in the walled garden.  The wall offers immunity to everything.

Adrian03

Hi there,

I suggest you a Moto x Play, if you like a longer battery life and faster processor. This phone works with Android system. I'm using it for a while.

I hope it helps!

Adrian.

spoldon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Check out https://www.getorchard.com/ for great refurbished phones. I got my Samsung galaxy for $450 dollars, minus the cost of my old phone I sold back to them!

@SF2278 wrote:

I recently purchased the following phone http://www.geekbuying.com/item/EU-Version-LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-Pro-X820-6-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-3791...

Yes, it is NOT a carrier phone and I couldn't be happier.  I have only been using it for a few days now but I have to say, it has far and away exceeded all of my expectations.  I was nervous to purchase overseas and break my habit of buying from a carrier, but I am really glad I did.  Not only have I avoided the ridiculous bloatware that infests carrier phones, but what I got for the price is beyond what I could have hoped for.  

collin1215
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Now that's not a phone that cost $400. LOOL

tehowennathe
Blu Products has amazing phones for under $400. Their website is www.bluproducts.com always links their phones to American page of Amazon but also sold on Amazon Canada

Raven_Jet
You are good to your mom! That's an amazing phone!

@Raven_Jet I've had many android phones, and never once have I had any secruity issues. Same can be said about "Mac vs PC". If secruity issues arent really a problem for apple, then why do they make apps for them? Every device is vulunerable, doesnt matter if its apple, android or windows.

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I already brought a phone. It is the iPhone 7 plus 256gb from apple.

clarkbrand
I would suggest the Moto mid level phones (I had the Moto x play) and my wife still uses it since I upgraded. It was about 400 brand new. Slower chip but everything else was pretty good.

Raven_Jet
What steps can be taken for iOS?

And here we go with the false statements that the Apple platform doesn't have viruses, and by extension malware and phishing issues.

I use both iOS and Adroid regularly.  My iPad (not jailbroken) has more issues with phishing scams than my 4 year old Nexus 5.

It doesn't matter what platform you're using.  You must take steps on all operating systems to protect yourself, your data, and your device.

Raven_Jet
I remember someone telling me there is a website that tells you how much duty depending on the price of the item.

Raven_Jet
Security wise too, android phones need antivirus apps and malware etc... so you need to be vigilant and on top of your game. Or your phone will be key logged! This doesn't exist with iOS, as long as you don't jailbreak or download unauthorized and unknown apps.

@mimmo wrote:

@SF2278

were there any duties?

thanks

It takes 2-3 weeks for shipping.  Use the free shipping option, pay a couple of bucks for their insurance on shipping.  This way, it is 99.9% fool proof way to avoiding the tax hit.  Use DHL, guaranteed to pay taxes plus a processing fee for the taxes.

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am Android has gone a long way (down)

It has become incredibly difficult for the non-tech person 

@will13am wrote:

TBH, I don't think that android phones are difficult to use.  The customizability is part of the fun and interest in using a smart phone. 

Let's just agree to disagree.  I could go into a thesis on how bad the walled garden is, but I won't.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SF2278

were there any duties?

thanks

@will13am Android has gone a long way (down)

It has become incredibly difficult for the non-tech person 

@will13am wrote:

TBH, I don't think that android phones are difficult to use.  The customizability is part of the fun and interest in using a smart phone. 

@will13am, what I meant was WHEN I bought my Nexus 5.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

moto G5 plus 64GB/4GB would be on my radar

@stonechucker wrote:

@SF2278, I'm STILL researching my next phone, and I keep coming back to this one.  I'm amazed at the quantity of network bands it will run on.  It certainly is a WORLD phone, which is what my Nexus 5 was, purchased from the play store.

i think this may be the one....  now to arrange for it to be shipped 🙂

@stonechucker, this is the list of LTE bands that the Max 2 X820 has.  FDD-LTE bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,17,20,25,26.  TDD-LTE bands 38,39,40,41.  This has got to top the bands on a 4 year old nexus phone. 

@Samianauman wrote:
Check kijiji 400 pretty sure you will be able to get iPhone 6s or s7 or s6 edge plus also LG g6

I am going to respectfully disagree with you on Kijiji as a source for phones.  I read nothing but sob stories from people who bought what they thought was the deal of the century for an iPhone or Galaxy phone only to find it blacklisted a few weeks later.  Maybe it is safe in a different areas of the country, but there are scammers abound in the GTA hawking stuff on Kijiji. 

If you want cheap carrier phones, often Koodo or mobile shop will sell LG phones cheap.  Only catch is you need to get a plan and keep it for 3 months otherwise the up front discount is taken away.  Personally, I would not buy a carrier phone, let alone jump hoops to get one.

@xCameron94x wrote:
The real issue I see with the Asian market phones is the warranty. Yes the prices are amazing, but if something happens it's a bit more difficult to deal with someone

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  They do have a warranty but it is difficult to go after.  Usually you are responsible for shipping the device back.  The shipping fee does hurt.  The way I see it, even if 1 or 2 in 10 purchases goes bad, the savings from the other 8 or 9 will more than make up for it.  Color me lucky, but I have never had a bad apple yet.  My last 3 phones have been Asian brands that you don't ever hear about at the water cooler conversations.  The Max 2 I got for the wife is rose gold and from a distance who knows that it isn't an iPhone. 

Check kijiji 400 pretty sure you will be able to get iPhone 6s or s7 or s6 edge plus also LG g6
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@SF2278, I'm STILL researching my next phone, and I keep coming back to this one.  I'm amazed at the quantity of network bands it will run on.  It certainly is a WORLD phone, which is what my Nexus 5 was, purchased from the play store.

i think this may be the one....  now to arrange for it to be shipped 🙂

The real issue I see with the Asian market phones is the warranty. Yes the prices are amazing, but if something happens it's a bit more difficult to deal with someone

SF2278

I know I am late to the party on this one but I wanted to weigh in anyway and share something.

My advice to anyone who is looking to buy a new phone would be to look towards chinese markets and open yourself up to brands that may not be known here, but are very solid and reputable brands in Asia.  I have reaped the benefits of changing my habits and I can safely say, I wont be buying domestic from a carrier again anytime soon.

Thats my 2 cents...er...25 cents worth!

Need Help? Let's chat.