Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What books are you currently reading?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello Community!

Happy- almost- Canada Day Cat Very Happy

I have a simple question for everyone today: what books are you currently reading? (if any)

I am an avid reader who is always on the look-out for new gems. I especially enjoy fantasy and sci-fi novels. 

I wanted to share what I am currently reading, just in case there are any other bookworms like me here Cat Tongue

the sudden appearance of hope.jpg

Title: The Sudden Appearance of Hope

Author: Claire North

Publisher’s Description:

Listen.
All the world forgets me. First my face, then my voice, then the consequences of my deeds.
So listen. Remember me.

My name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. But I am the girl the world forgets.

It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.

A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks straight through me and sees a stranger.

No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.

That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . .

Thoughts on this novel so far: I am at 70% of the novel, and I am absolutely loving it! This is the second novel that I've read from this author, and she hasn’t disappointed me yet. I was first drawn in by the premise of the book: a girl no one ever remembers, a forgettable girl. It sounded original and interesting. Well now, I realize this book is much more than that! The author is smart, and very aware of the on-going socio-economic issues in today’s world. She takes us from Dubai to San Francisco, passing by Hong Kong, London, Nîmes, etc. The story never slows down, the pace while not being erratic, is sustained throughout the novel, continuously culminating.

I have a feeling that this is going to end with a bang, and I can’t wait Cat Happy

8 REPLIES 8

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was into Sci-Fi when I was a teenager, but not anymore.

Currently reading Tom Harper’s book "The Book of Secrets" (2009)

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not enough time and too easily distracted by shinny red balls for book reading; however, I do subscribe to, and read, a lot of periodicals. The Smithsonian probably my current fav.

danette77
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kalla_A I am currently reading "The Evening News" by Arthur Hailey. As a lover of thrillers, so far so good.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/124919.The_Evening_News

PS Since you like sci fi, might I suggest "Chimerascope" by Douglas Smith. I loved this book! It's a very unique collection of sci fi short stories that I could hardly put down.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7623570-chimerascope

Korth
Mayor / Maire

(Happy to see a little general chatter on these forums.  I'd thought it was all supposed to be related to cellphone stuff, lol.)

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I'm currently enjoying American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  Not an author I'd ever heard of before, not the sort of sci-fi book I'd normally glance at twice (largely because the title contains the word "American" and seems somewhat pretentious).  Possibly the best book of the bunch in the sf&f "grab bag" I picked up from the library.

The Deepgate Codex trilogy by Alan Campbell (also in my grab bag) looks very interesting, too, based on some random text snippets I perused.

I've always been a big fan of the Avery Cates books by Jeff Somers.  Call me a weirdo, but I like dirty, gritty, dystopian settings and dirty, hard, ugly characters.  Think of these books as something like Mad Max meets Blade Runner.

Michael Swanwick's Iron Dragon stories are impressively creative stuff.  Good old Vernor Vinge and John C Wright also have some book series which are very idea-dense (although a little confusing and overwhelming until you read enough to figure things out).

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Kalla_A  Have you tried the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong or the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne?  I enjoyed both.

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

I love Jane Austen! I think read 90% of her novels as a teen, very enjoyable.

I have been using a kindle for the past year and it's going really well. I was a bit relunctant in the beginning because I love the feel and smell of paperbacks but yeah.

Thanks for the suggestions! Atwood has been on my reading list for the longest time now, so hopefully I'll get to it soon haha. Although I'm more of a fantasy gal, I suggest Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss: their novels are pure bliss Smiley Very Happy

I could safely add "Binge Watching Netflix" as a skill on my cv haha. Are there any particular shows you are enjoying at the moment?

Cheers,

Kalla

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Used to read a lot sci-fi; most I'm sure predate your interest. All time fav probably the Foundation series by Asimov. A more current series I found interesting was Atwoods trilogy ending wih Maddadam.

But currently prefer mystery, both current and historical, and a fall back to Jane Austen's works.

In between novels just now bingeing on Netflix and our Community.

Oh ya, should mention I rarely purchase books. Use Overdrive and borrow from our library plus my daughter's kindle account! Frugal to the core.

Have a great weekemd all.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.