cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Web' use

79lemmonjr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What 'Web' use would typically consume 39Mb of data in 40min?  

Edit by Dunkman: merged duplicate threads. Removed self solution.  

46 REPLIES 46

@parkerremy2 wrote:

video calling?

Public Mobile does not offer a video calling service. Also, Pubilc Mobile does not differentiate types of internet activity in the usage details.

parkerremy2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

video calling?

additional duplicate thread merged

79lemmonjr

okay thank you I just wanted to clarify if it meant a web call since it was listed under call type 

79lemmonjr

not same question at all. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@79lemmonjr    Sorry, but didn't you already ask this question earlier?   Edit:  or perhaps a related question on web usage?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Web-use/td-p/800009

Web could be browsing on chrome on your phone, watching a video or any background data event as @dabr said. Usually nothing at all to do with calling.

@79lemmonjr   Web usage would mean it involved some sort of a data event and not necessarily that those apps used data depending on your settings or if you had access to WIFI when you used those apps.   It would also show if your apps are updating and your settings have enabled updates to allow for updates via data instead of WIFI only.  You should restrict your apps from using background data too and any updates to use WIFI only.

How much data is being consumed on those web events?

79lemmonjr

I just noticed "Call Type" at the top of the heading under Usage Details. Is this to mean that when it says 'Web' it means a Web call? Ie. Google Duo, Messenger Video Call, WhatsApp video call etc?

@79lemmonjr 

If you have a limited minute plan your call forwarded calls do not count against your outgoing minutes. It's been so long since I was with another provider I can't remember how their voicemail was set up as far as possible billable minutes. I was surprised as well that I couldn't see who called but didn't leave message in my usage history.

But the benefits of free call forwarding far outweigh the inability to see which spam caller didn't leave a message. If the call is important enough most callers will leave a voicemail message.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@79lemmonjr - more than one gf? just kidding.

Because I see group texts do show my number as out and incoming number in my history.

Are you sending through iMessage? 

79lemmonjr

but why does public Mobile do it like this. no other phone company ive been with did 

79lemmonjr
  •  nope just between my gf and I

@79lemmonjr wrote:

So upon further inspection and comparing usage records to my texting history I do understand that when I send a picture (MMS) to anyone it appears on my usage as though I am sending it from myself to myself. I don't understand why this is however? 

Your destination numbers should be showing the number you are sending the MMS to. But, when you send it to a different number it shows your own number under both Originating and Destination numbers?

Well, that is weird @79lemmonjr .

Could these be group chats? This may account for this occurrence.

@79lemmonjr   That is normal. There is no way to determined who got forwarded to your voicemail by just looking at the usage history.  If it was unanswered and got redirected, then you can check your phone missed calls and can find out that way.  Of course, if your phone was unavailable and the calls never reach your phone and got redirected to VM, then your won't see it in the missed calls log

@79lemmonjr 

When your incoming call is forwarded to your voicemail your usage details only records the phone number that reaches your voicemail.  That is your phone number as the default call forwarding setting in your phone.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

79lemmonjr

Whenever someone calls me and the call goes unanswered and redirected to my voicemail, why do usage records show that I have called my voicemail as opposed to still showing phone number of the person who tried to call me despite it being forwarded to voicemail? 

79lemmonjr

So upon further inspection and comparing usage records to my texting history I do understand that when I send a picture (MMS) to anyone it appears on my usage as though I am sending it from myself to myself. I don't understand why this is however? 

MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service. It is standard to send in most cases pictures through cellular network. With PM you have unlimited in/out internationally. In order to use MMS your DATA has to be ON even though that will Not use your Plan's data allowance.

@79lemmonjr 

I just sent myself an MMS. And it shows both the incoming/outgoing items (with my number both ways) immediately in usage as "Data Event"

esjliv_0-1648988397622.png

@kb_mv  yeah, i may be wrong too, but this is where I normally see this term.

@esjliv wrote:

I have sent MMS's to myself @kb_mv .

But, it is unclear what exactly OP is seeing here...care to explain a bit more @79lemmonjr  🙂

@esjliv fair enough but the OP did ask about a "data event". The only place to see that term would be in his account under usage which says to me that he does not recognize a particular entry as coming from his actions. Again, I might be wrong...

I have sent MMS's to myself @kb_mv .

But, it is unclear what exactly OP is seeing here...care to explain a bit more @79lemmonjr  🙂

@HALIMACS wrote:

@79lemmonjr 

It is Multimedia Messaging Service, otherwise known as 'picture texting' to one or multiple users.  The other kind of messaging is SMS, or Standard Messaging Service, just texting with words/emoji's to single users.

@HALIMACS Perhaps I am wrong but I think the question was more geared towards why does his account show a MMS data event from his number to his number when he didn't send one, or at least that's how I read it.

@79lemmonjr 

It is Multimedia Messaging Service, otherwise known as 'picture texting' to one or multiple users.  The other kind of messaging is SMS, or Standard Messaging Service, just texting with words/emoji's to single users.

@79lemmonjr wrote:

what is a data event from myself to myself that says MMS? 

@79lemmonjr This is from a previous thread with the same question:

"If you turn your data off and on or even turn your phone off with data enabled, your phone will call to the public mobile data server. This is to enable mms on your phone

This type of data is free for everyone. So don't worry about it. It's all good. It is removed by pm so in your case, you should always see 0 eventually."

@79lemmonjr - did you send send a picture text, or a longer than normal SMS text? These go through as MMS. You need your data option on to send / receive these messages, but they do not take from your Data plan allotment. 

79lemmonjr

what is a data event from myself to myself that says MMS? 

That's what this place is all about, @79lemmonjr 

Participation, learning, understanding, & development...  all in hopes of being helpful to others.

Welcome aboard!!!

79lemmonjr

I understand. will do thanks for giving me a chance to right my errors 🙏

@79lemmonjr wrote:

sorry I didn't realize that this was "policed" and Honestly was just trying to save a few bucks times are tough ya know. but I won't do it anymore sorry 

That's understandable @79lemmonjr 

Just best to start out here on the 'right foot'.   Some others have not and things generally don't work out the way they thought it might insofar as Community Rewards for participation.

You'll get there..  😉

Need Help? Let's chat.